mud terrains

beerwolf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here run siped mud terrains in the winter? I'm thinking of running mine this winter or is it a bad idea? Tires are nitto trail grapplers.

beerwolf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
awesome thanks guys! Think I will sipe them and run em!

C of Red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like Rhino stated, I run Toyo MT's all year on my F350. They might not be the best if towing a trailer all winter but with a deck and the weight on the axles I've never had an issue. They have been awesome even on some super slick roads. On my second set, 100k out of the first ones.

lewey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gone through three sets of toyo mt's now and they've been great. Was thinking of trying the at's out this time but sounds like that might not be a good idea? Anyone else tried the at's before?

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
AT's are a great tire but really pricey and wear out really quick.
Have tried them twice over the years and same result.
Last ones didn't last 30000kms
AT extremes 325/20's

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good tire choice, siping does improve winter driving, great in snow. I didn't sipe mine and went through every stop sign in the country. M55's are another good choice for oilfield gravel roads, although lots of road noise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blubbles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
MT Tires are good in snow... but absolutely useless on ice. Siping them will help a fair amount but even still they leave something to be desired. MT tires are typically a super hard rubber and once the temperature drops you are basically driving around on hockey pucks. Again if its just dry snow on top of the road you won't notice too much, but get some ice under there and you will be in for a surprise.

If you aren't running winter tires, Snowflake rated A/T's get my vote.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On my second set of good year duratracs. Great tires, and they have the mountain snowflake. Never an issue with them.

I run duratracs all year.

Yes they wear faster towing trailer.

Overall very happy.

I am on my second set and will purchase again

blubbles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always wonder how many people actually offroad hard enough to require MT tires in the summer. Gotta say that an AT tire like a duratrac is pretty impressive in the summer out mudding, not often that I would say I ran out of traction.

That being said the OP said he already had them so I guess sipe them and do your best. Just seems like cheap insurance to get tires that are actually rated for winter rather than making them work and risking getting into an accident or a ticket. Wrecking a nice rig because of crappy tires just doesn't make sense to me.

C of Red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I was towing a trailer all the time I would never use a MT tire. With a deck they have been fine over the years. Almost bought the GY DuraTrac's last time but I got 100,000km out of my Toyo MT's. Can't bitch about that. What are you all getting for km's out of the DuraTrac's?

Last edited:

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
275-65/20 Duratracs ,on 3500 Duramax I have been getting 60000kms .
Still not wore out but i don't like the last 20% .
Had the TOYO MT's also and couldn't get more then 60000 out of them on gravel and pavement. Good tire.
On solid axle front ends they handled well but find on independent they wander and follow any little rut.

Last edited:

blubbles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hard to say what you would get out of them at the end. I have sold most trucks before I end up wearing them out completely, but I would expect in the 90k range as well.... Again depends on how far you really want to push them though like pfi mentioned.

Toyo AT2's have proven themselves as well though, put 50k on them already and they still look very good.

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got new duratracs. Had 50000km on the last set and still lots of life left. Got 3 for sale right now if anyone's interested.. 285/70/17. Came off my lmm. Gashed the 4th on some shale

beerwolf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would like to get a set of proper winters this year but money is tight after a workplace accident. I don't do much highway driving here mostly bush roads and have some great chains for the ice. Plus we don't seem to get the extreme icey windblown roads like those of you in alberta get.

Top Bottom