Moving from Alberta to BC??????

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You really have to respect or envy people who move to follow a lifestyle or live a dream. Wish i had the guts or nuts to do it

There's nothing to it, but to do it.

Life's too short to live somewhere weak.

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You know i was personally looking at this a while ago to. But i soon realized that the cost of living a dream is to expensive. Im not a real in town kind of person. I was looking all over BC From north of revy all the way to yhak and every were in between. Now i reallize the scenery is nice and such, but i just could not justify buying a 800k acreage that needed work. Now im not a picky person(should have seen the place i bought in sask). But i found the property very over priced for what a guy got. Now im not saying its not worth it, but i couldnt justify it. I ended up moving east(sask) and i can sak this much, i dont regret it one bit. The people are nice, not so fast paced, and the housing was much more affordable and i liked the area. Now i realize its not the moutains, but im young and have a long life ahead of me and if i every do want to move, i still have a choice later in life. Do what makes you happy. Its your lie... :cheers:

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Higher house prices sucks but so worth it. I'm not 100% sure if i'm going to B.C maybe just somewhere only 2ish hours from the mountains. Just know I am sick of 5-6 hour drives that cost a ton. I could never live any further then I do now, even if it was for more money. I mean you leave friday night drive until late, to get 1 good day and one short day of riding, a weekend that costs you like $400 easily. That if you lived only 2 hours from, you could easily ride two full days for half the price.

And it's not just money it's time, to get a decent trip you have to get a few days off work which can be tough.

I hate big cities anyway, living in the middle of no where it's the best way :beer:

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am from Kelowna and from the number of Alta plates I see here it seems half the province comes here for vacation.Yes its expensive to live here[sunshine tax]PST plus GST high insurance and housing costs.I would miss the mountains and close proximaty to riding areas if I was in Edmonton or Calgary.Even though I live in Kelowna I can be in one of my favorite local hunting spots and quadding areas in less than 15 minutes from my door.Yes move here and Bring Cash and ditch those red plates that plug up our busy roads all year:dPersonally if I did not need to be near a larger city for work I would be lookin at the Koteneys for the lifestyle and less traffic

give_it_all_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hate big cities anyway, living in the middle of no where it's the best way :beer:

Big cities suck! Even living in the country like I do, but close to a city still sucks. The cottage is amazing, nobody around. Finally can relax when we're up there:cool:

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Big cities suck! Even living in the country like I do, but close to a city still sucks. The cottage is amazing, nobody around. Finally can relax when we're up there:cool:

To each their own...right. I say what you're saying every time I go down to Vancouver. Now that sucks. Traffic. Crime. Home prices. Low wages etc. etc. I wouldn't want to live in a big city either. Kelowna, just right for me. Close to all the play areas. Beautiful lakes. Fruit. Not to mention...probably the best looking women in all of Canada...at least anywhere I've ever traveled. Life is not a dress rehearsal. One shot...make it what you want it to be. :beer:

Mongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am from Kelowna and from the number of Alta plates I see here it seems half the province comes here for vacation.Yes its expensive to live here[sunshine tax]PST plus GST high insurance and housing costs.I would miss the mountains and close proximaty to riding areas if I was in Edmonton or Calgary.Even though I live in Kelowna I can be in one of my favorite local hunting spots and quadding areas in less than 15 minutes from my door.Yes move here and Bring Cash and ditch those red plates that plug up our busy roads all year:dPersonally if I did not need to be near a larger city for work I would be lookin at the Koteneys for the lifestyle and less traffic

Hey, Hey, Hey ! Don't be sendin' any more Albertonians to the Kootenays. LOL:nono:

give_it_all_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To each their own...right. I say what you're saying every time I go down to Vancouver. Now that sucks. Traffic. Crime. Home prices. Low wages etc. etc. I wouldn't want to live in a big city either. Kelowna, just right for me. Close to all the play areas. Beautiful lakes. Fruit. Not to mention...probably the best looking women in all of Canada...at least anywhere I've ever traveled. Life is not a dress rehearsal. One shot...make it what you want it to be. :beer:
True, I just don't understand how people like cities, because everywhere you drive takes forever. I'd like to be able to go out of my house and all the play areas are right there :d

Wanderlust

Reaction score
You know i was personally looking at this a while ago to. But i soon realized that the cost of living a dream is to expensive. Im not a real in town kind of person. I was looking all over BC From north of revy all the way to yhak and every were in between. Now i reallize the scenery is nice and such, but i just could not justify buying a 800k acreage that needed work. Now im not a picky person(should have seen the place i bought in sask). But i found the property very over priced for what a guy got. Now im not saying its not worth it, but i couldnt justify it. I ended up moving east(sask) and i can sak this much, i dont regret it one bit. The people are nice, not so fast paced, and the housing was much more affordable and i liked the area. Now i realize its not the moutains, but im young and have a long life ahead of me and if i every do want to move, i still have a choice later in life. Do what makes you happy. Its your lie... :cheers:

I'm with you on this one cat. You asked specifically about the cost of living and let me tell you, you can't eat beauty! Our insurance rates went up 4x what we were paying in Ab. Nevermind the cost of fuel, groceries, clothing, what have you. Don't forget you're paying 7%PST on everything here plus gst. ALSO and I hate this, but on every property you buy in BC you pay a 1% property tax on the first 200K and 2% on anything thereafter! The government here is making a fortune on real estate! Also the personal income tax rate is higher too than AB. Lifestyle is great;where we are, but there are pros and cons to anywhere that you live. I personally think that there are cheaper provinces than BC to live, work, and raise a family in! Contrary to what my dear other half, ODG thinks........we all have our reasons.

Taz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just recently bought a condo in Kimberley to use for trips, I plan on once a month plus Chrismas and a few weeks on top of that but the wife is a city girl and just spending 4 days there she already doesn't want to spend more than a week at a time she gets bored I emagine once we meet people down there it would be different. I don't mind the drive but we leave Thursdays and make it worth while. I'm originally from the lower mainland move to Edmonton in 82 looking for work did OK now it's time to work my way back. BABY STEPS!!!
I've always have missed the mountains & lakes of BC.:d:d:d
As far as prices go we got a hell of a deal Kimberley is still very afordable.

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All this talk about life in BC is really making me want to move? Relocate my business? Interesting? Sometimes you need to make a change ..... it's always harder when you have 3 kids to keep in mind? Not just Sleddin? I have for many years considered moving to BC, I love BC.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey, Hey, Hey ! Don't be sendin' any more Albertonians to the Kootenays. LOL:nono:

All kidding aside....I live right beside a lake that Alberta residents have discovered big time. Guys at work always ask "Isn't it getting too busy?" Well sure it's getting busier than it used to be, but really only for two months a year and really only on weekends. And I've met some great people too. I'm happy to show any of you around to see what the area has to offer.

I've been here all my life. Born and raised in Cranbrook, grew up at the lake since my parents built a cabin here in '65, and moved out from CBK in 2001 cause it got too big (big is relative eh!). I commute over an hour to work (Skookumchuck), but I can walk to my boat in 2 minutes when I get home, and ride from my door in the winter. Lots of residents around here commute to Alberta for work, but live here for the lifestyle. So pick your commute and see which one you'd rather do. Unless you're in a major center one of them is inevitable. I prefer to commute to work and have my recreation close, but that's my choice. To each his own, but if you decide to move I'm betting you'll love it out here! :):)

Junior Highmark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Man I would love to live in BC.
Just the fact of sledding from your door step is amazing. We did it in blue river and parked the sleds behind the hotel, That was alot of fun. Although it sucked started my sled it was worth not having to load the trailer.

chelle

Marathon Truck Decks
Reaction score
Well this was enough reason for me. My new place.

You can just see the top peak of the house in this pic. 24 acres of paradise.
P1030010.jpg

Looking from the shop back to the house.
P1020991.jpg

give_it_all_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You gotta stop posting pictures of your house! I'm starting to get jealous :p Can you see any mountains from inside your house???

Top Bottom