Motocross Helmets

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wondering who wears an open face helmet in the mountains. I am looking at something for both sledding and quadding. Thinking about an HJC but i dont know how they would work. I have heard they have a wide opening for goggles which is nice but i want to make sure i have sufficient coverage on my face.

So my question is what open face helmet are you wearing (brand and model) matched with which goggles and what you like and dislike about your helmet as well as the competitions.

Thanks

Sent while not working too hard

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run motor cross helmets, used to ride with a guy years ago that wore open face, eventually he switched out to motor cross as well

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been wearing an open face for years now. Got tired of fighting with my glasses with a motocross style helmet. I miss the extra protection, but I really notice how much less my vision is restricted. Mine is nothing special....don't even remember what brand it is any more....but I've tried going back a couple of times now and find I much prefer the less restricted vision with my open face. Googles fit much better with my open face, but now I'm using prescription safety glass inserts with interchangeable colour lenses and like them a lot better. Open face is colder though, but I tend to stay home when it gets that cold out these days anyway. I wear it quadding spring and fall, but I switch to a half helmet when it gets hot out. The lower weight of an open face is very noticeable as well.

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Excuse me. I meant motorcross style helmet. Didnt realize anybody wore an actual open face in the mountains. Sorry for the confusion.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Open face helmet.

Excuse me. I meant motorcross style helmet. Didnt realize anybody wore an actual open face in the mountains. Sorry for the confusion.

Tried closed face years back but love the motocross style and have only worn that style for 10 years.
Get a good light helmet and invest in good goggles, Better yet, carry 2 pair as I do.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Open face! Rocked the Gmax for 3 years, this year 509!

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just switched over from a full face to a motor cross style and havent been out yet. I got set up with the Motor Fist helmet with 509 Sinister goggles. They fit together like a dream. ZERO air gap between them...

IMG-20121029-00078_zps66ac74ea.jpg

powderhoundbrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh man I wound't be caught dead without a full face motorcross helmet . At least 20 times in my life doing a variety of activities I would have broken my jaw if not for the full face. That being said I am sure HJC or any of the other brands make a perfectly fine helmet.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Open face, cant believe they still make these.....wore these back when the three wheeled quads were hitting the market....and one came with my 1980 Yamaha ET340ED....

Wife uses a full face modular helmet, front flips up so you can drink your hot chocolate without taking your lid off...

The rest of us use motoross helments, that are well ventilated, with a thin belicala if it's cold out along with a mouth piece that deflects your breathe downwards away from your goggles. Quality goggles dont seem to fog as easy as the cheap ones, better seal both between the len's and to the face....have used the Haber eliminator fan, when it's warmer....plus yes always carry a spar pair and have warmer bags under the hoods to dry out the wet pair....

Attachments

• open face.JPG
    open face.JPG
    11.7 KB · Views: 227
  • Motocross .JPG
    Motocross .JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 224

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice helmet goggles and cam but that would be the last place in the world I would mount a helmet camera, doesn't that bother you being there........? Never seen anyone mount it there, usually on the top or on the side.

I just switched over from a full face to a motor cross style and havent been out yet. I got set up with the Motor Fist helmet with 509 Sinister goggles. They fit together like a dream. ZERO air gap between them...

IMG-20121029-00078_zps66ac74ea.jpg

etecheaven

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you have the coin, get one of the carbon helmets. I run the brp one and have been super happy with it. Its a neck saver forsure and once you wear one anything else is was to heavy and awkward.

kakwa climber

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Open face helmet.

I got a 509 carbon fiber helmet and aviator goggles. Wow are they awesome. Neck and shoulder feel way better after riding all day

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice helmet goggles and cam but that would be the last place in the world I would mount a helmet camera, doesn't that bother you being there........? Never seen anyone mount it there, usually on the top or on the side.

It looks like a big eye sore but you seriously hardly know it is there. Put your thumb on the bridge of your nose and put your index finger about 2" above your thumb.. Now look up. You have to really strain your eyes to look up. I can just see the edge of the screen, which is perfect cause I will be able to confirm it's recording when I hit the remote.
My only concern is I thought it might be too much weight but the helmet is so lite the camera weight isn't an issue. I guess we will see once I get out a few tmes but I've been walking around the house (super nerd) with the helmet on and seems OK.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's been on here before, complete with pics. Personally, I'm just trying to forget it ever happened. :eek:
lol...i remember that incident and the pics...nasty.

I have an open face helmet I use quading and a few times in the SXS, I call it the Dale Sr helmet. it's an Arctic Cat open face, so I painted it flat black....intimidator style. looks exactly like this

aclid.jpg

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One thing that might happen as it happens to every helmet Ive ever had is the visor sometimes loosens a bit from bouncing around and the wind from riding will move the visor around changing your camera angle and sometimes a little change is a big change with these wide angle lenses. Just my experience with a few different brands of helmet, I guess every break just make sure the visor nuts are still tight. I have my drift mounted at the throttle side of my helmet just out of the way of the quick straps.

It looks like a big eye sore but you seriously hardly know it is there. Put your thumb on the bridge of your nose and put your index finger about 2" above your thumb.. Now look up. You have to really strain your eyes to look up. I can just see the edge of the screen, which is perfect cause I will be able to confirm it's recording when I hit the remote.
My only concern is I thought it might be too much weight but the helmet is so lite the camera weight isn't an issue. I guess we will see once I get out a few tmes but I've been walking around the house (super nerd) with the helmet on and seems OK.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One thing that might happen as it happens to every helmet Ive ever had is the visor sometimes loosens a bit from bouncing around and the wind from riding will move the visor around changing your camera angle and sometimes a little change is a big change with these wide angle lenses. Just my experience with a few different brands of helmet, I guess every break just make sure the visor nuts are still tight. I have my drift mounted at the throttle side of my helmet just out of the way of the quick straps.

Gotcha. If it drops down the back side of the camera hits the helmet and that is as far as it can go. But I hear what you are saying. Time will tell. The helmet came with another visor so if it doesn't work out I'll pull this one off.

Top Bottom