Mod tests to 2010 800 CFI motor update 162HP!!!

DUSTINSPELLMAN

Reaction score
BMP Pipe for Dragon/RMK 800 - SnoWest Forum

heres link to the main details but mike at BMP jsut finished dynoing the new update with billet head, pipe, boondocker efi controller 162HP!!!!!!!

attachment.php

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The funny thing is u put all that money into that poo-laris and its still less then a new stock 800 cat hahahahahah

yeah right.... because Arctic Cat isn't known for fudging their HP numbers by HUGE margins.....
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Terra Alps Racing inc.

Reaction score
dust, some of the things you should know is that when some motors are dynoed like those at dynotech, they dyno to peak hp to make a big number, not something you will see in the everyday riding mtns. plus some motors make alot more hp there then what they do anywhere else? remember the 800 polaris for some reason only made 138hp first time, but once polaris top guys got involved it made over 150 like it was suppose to????
so always check base hp numbers(154?) and do a percentage over that to the mods (162?) going on. = 5% so 138hp X 5% = 145?

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not looking to start anything but I am definitly curious as to how you can guarentee that RMK won't match or beat a new M8?

Terra Alps Racing inc.

Reaction score
I guess alot of people don't see is inside the motors, The polaris 800 motor is based on there 700, 600, 440 base platform, smallblock motors.
The Pol 800 has small transfer ports smaller then there old 800 big block. where the cat 800 has large ports will flow more cfm airflow and make more hp, the cat has a larger motor all together which has more potential.
The biz I'm in I see all the motors and try to build a performance package for them as soon as there availble, I looked at building a 850-880 kit for the polaris but its not going to make anymorepower then a 800 in the long run. The cat I built a 900 kit for it and porting for the 800 it works great.

Ted,

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok u tell me how a 472 pound polaris with 154hp is gonna beat a 464 pound cat with 163.4hp? Tell me?

LOL - wasn't that HP # a pre-production value?? LOL - Like I previously stated, Cat is traditionally known for exaggerating their HP values a little.
Very doubtful that their 800 makes 163 HP sitting on the showroom floor.

Besides, its ain't just about who's lighter by a few pounds and who makes the most pre-production HP. Its about track approach angle, clutching, weight distribution, etc, etc. These things usually mean a sled climbs higher on the hill more than 2-3 lbs difference.

All it takes is the Cat tank to hold about 3-4 more liters of fluids and that weight difference is gone. You are comparing dry weights which don't mean squat, you never ride a sled without gas or oil, coolant etc. It doesn't take much to equalize the weights once you start adding fluids. Then the HP # becomes a lot more marginal.

gallays

Reaction score
Those are both dry weights so if u add fluids to both sleds they will stay roughly the same... Give your head a shake... And actually that wasn't a pre production value, it was in a production model 2010 f8... So keep laughing...

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I read the report from Dynotech. The test was done in March of 09, and yes it was a pre-production F8. The EPA had plenty of chances to f-up the hp rating for production version. The stock 800CFI will put out 157.3 HP with a proper fuel map. I'm sure the production 800 cat will be close to its rated power once someone puts an non EPA influenced map on it as well.

Last edited:

DUSTINSPELLMAN

Reaction score
still all rider IMO
u can give any newby a new sled that has all the power he wants, takes a man to ACTUALLY ride the sled, ive seen alot of retards with all the money go and buy the best sleds/mods that are said in magazines/sled shops and by other mis-informed sledders and mod them, and then go the same places people do with stock sleds, ive also seen older semi stock sleds with veteran riders go places turbos and BBs go :beer:
going with this see to many people with to much money who suck at riding and like to talk like they do :d

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those are both dry weights so if u add fluids to both sleds they will stay roughly the same... Give your head a shake... And actually that wasn't a pre production value, it was in a production model 2010 f8... So keep laughing...

uhhhh?? Are you going to add the same amounts of fluid to both sleds?? The polaris holds more fuel than the cat, not sure about the coolant, oil, etc, but if you ride a polaris, are you going to start out the day with 1 litre less fuel so that your sled weighs the same as your buddies cat in the parking lot?? LOL I don't think so.

No one gives a hoot about dry weights (well, nevermind), when was the last time you rode a sled without fuel or coolant? Fluids can eat up an 8 lb difference and turn it into a 3 lb difference, sorry, but on the hill 8 lbs means nothing, you can accumulate 5 lbs of snow on the running boards alone, so a 6 lb heavier sled with a better running board design might actually be 1-2 lbs lighter by the time its all said and done.

I could care less what the sled weighs at AC's/Polaris' factory, often times those weights are "estimated" or are based on some silly weight calculation like the sum of the parts weighed individually (i.e. without being bolted together) or procedure like weighing the sled in a tub of water with a tank full of helium, etc.

As for the HP......you believe what you want from AC. From my experience, especially with AC, the factory #'s tend to "elevated". Just my opinion. And yes, it was a pre-production value from my recollection.

I know when we dyno'd a T-cat a few years ago, it didn't make the claimed AC horsepower without some "moderate" tweaking, and I know that the claimed HP #'s for the ZR's were grossly exaggerated due to extremely low BSFC values in the dyno runs, the kind of low values that might get you about 1 km up the trail before you had a liquid piston. The kind of values that no one in the real world would ride a sled with.

But hey....you go ahead and take AC's word for it.....:)

I'm not pulling for either brand, but I have been around a little, and I have seen enough to know that dry weights and factory rated HP values are slightly outside the realm of normal reality. Besides, I don't care how good a sled looks on paper, the first one to the top of the hill wins in the real world.

So don't tell me to "give my head a shake", like you're talking to someone who doesn't know which end of the ski faces forward. There's a lot more to what makes one sled perform better than another, more than just estimated dry weight, pre-production HP values and internet keyboard racing.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this always makes me laugh. you guys are comparing 5-10 theotretical HP. line up all these machines brand new with same track and same rider same hill and same snow conditions they will all be the same. otherwise we wouldnt have 4 brands now would we.

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well back to the original topic of this thread. If your looking for information on the update and how effective bolt on mods are, I suggest getting a membership at www.dynotechresearch.com. Best $25 I’ve spent. They generated 15 pages of info a week or so ago. They started with a stock 09 800 with 1000 miles on it and put it on the dyno for a base line. Then they installed the update part by part. Doing a new dyno run for each stage to see how the individual components of the update effected performance. They started with the new programming. Then they added the muffler (it was a short track). Then the new pistons. And finally the new head. After that they tested an aftermarket head and several exhaust combinations (BMP and SLP) with the stock map and with custom maps.

Now that cooler weather is rolling in they are going to redo all the bolt on mod tests and custom fuel map test they did last time. They will also finalize and release their new customized fuel maps for the Power Commander.:beer:

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL - wasn't that HP # a pre-production value?? LOL - Like I previously stated, Cat is traditionally known for exaggerating their HP values a little.
Very doubtful that their 800 makes 163 HP sitting on the showroom floor.

Besides, its ain't just about who's lighter by a few pounds and who makes the most pre-production HP. Its about track approach angle, clutching, weight distribution, etc, etc. These things usually mean a sled climbs higher on the hill more than 2-3 lbs difference.

All it takes is the Cat tank to hold about 3-4 more liters of fluids and that weight difference is gone. You are comparing dry weights which don't mean squat, you never ride a sled without gas or oil, coolant etc. It doesn't take much to equalize the weights once you start adding fluids. Then the HP # becomes a lot more marginal.

tHATS EXACLY RITE THERE IS SO MUCH MORE CONTRIBUTING FACTORS OTHER THAN WEIGHT AND HORSEPOWER ATTCK ANGLE CLUTCHING ALL ARE MAJOR MAJOR PLAYERS IN THE GAME AS WELL PRIME EXAMPLE YOU CAN TAKE A DIESEL TUNE IT WITH A BIG HP CHIPS AND BIG TURBOS THATS CLAIMING BIG NUMBERS BUT IS PRETTY MUCH USELESS WITHOUT THE PROPER DRIVETRAIN AND FUEL SYSTEMS TO GET THE POWER TO THE GROUND SAME WITH SNOWMOBILES YOU CAN BEEF UP THE POWER LIGHTEN THEM ALL U WANT BUT IF YOUR CLUTCHING OR YOUR FUEL SYSTEM ISN'T SET UP RITE THEN IT IS USELESS. sO MORE THAN LIKELY THE CAT MAY SAY IT HAS BIGGER HP NUMBERS AND LIGHTWER WEIGHT BUT IT WILL COME DOWN TO THE CLUTCHING SETUPS AND FUEL DELIVERY

Top Bottom