Mechanics advice

SHIFTmx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
About 2 months ago I got a 2007 GM serria. After putting on around 3000km I have noticed more than (I think) normal oil consumption. I am going to keep closer record but it’s around 1 liter to 500km. I am taking it in for a check up at the dealers. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Thanks.:beer::beer:

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2 obvious things to check, drain plug and oil filter.

Need more info than what you gave. How many km on the truck? What size motor? Puddles underneath or is the tailgate have oil specks on it? Look on GMtrucks.com and you may find an answer.

Put your hand behind the tailpipe and see if you get oil on your hand. My 95 was going through a litre every 200km, traded it in so it was someone elses problem.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you're going through a litre every 500km, you gots a problem. I am assuming you forgot a zero. A litre between oil changes isn't the end of the world, but it still suggests there may be something not quite right. I had an '01 6L that would eat almost 2 litres every 5000km. That was a little more than I felt good about, so I dumped it.

Last edited:

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It can happen but it's not good. I had a truck that burned 1L every 400km. Was so bad had to carry oil in the truck at all times. And it wasn't leaking, or burning it bad (didn't blue smoke AT ALL). Can be a really weird problem.

slomo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there is a bullitin for this issue,PIP4492Q and 10-06-01-008 can be either
but you will have to bring it in :beer:

SHIFTmx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry forgot a few details. Its a 5.3L gas, 4X4. with 61,000km. Maybe its more than 1L to 500km but defiantly no more than 1000km to 1L. No leaks and no blue smoke. Still have warrenty. Thanks for all the replies.

Last edited:

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It can happen but it's not good. I had a truck that burned 1L every 400km. Was so bad had to carry oil in the truck at all times. And it wasn't leaking, or burning it bad (didn't blue smoke AT ALL). Can be a really weird problem.

Did it end up in the ash tray?...thats some magical oil!

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did it end up in the ash tray?...thats some magical oil!

No idea that much oil it should just be a haze of blue smoke and smell it. I never could notice anything funny about where the oil was going. No places were it might suppose it puked it out while running.

slomo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No idea that much oil it should just be a haze of blue smoke and smell it. I never could notice anything funny about where the oil was going. No places were it might suppose it puked it out while running.

the cats burn it off pretty good and you will not notice it

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Your neighbor was probably sucking it out through the fill spout at night. Oil's expensive, ya gotta get it where you can.

SHIFTmx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey thanks. I found some great info from Chilton library.

Verify Condition, Inspect Valve Stems, Replace Cylinder Heads, If
Necessary) - (Jul 18, 2008)
This bulletin is being revised to inform technicians that the old cylinder heads are no longer being
requested/required to be sent back to WPC. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 07-06-01-007A
(Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion).
Condition:
Some customers may comment on excessive engine oil consumption. The rate of oil consumption described may
usually be around 0.946 liter (1 quart) of engine oil in 805 to 1125 km (500 to 700 mi).
Cause
The engine oil consumption may be caused by a nick in the valve stem.
Correction
Important: If one or more damaged valves are identified in one head, BOTH heads should be replaced.
Important: The completely built-up cylinder heads can be obtained from the Warranty Parts Center.
Complete the current SI diagnosis for any DTCs or symptoms found. Refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 01-06-01-
011C for Information on Engine Oil Consumption Guidelines.
If excessive oil consumption has been verified, all of the valve stems need to be inspected for damage. One or
more of the valve stems may be nicked.
After removing the valve cover, all the rocker arms need to be loosened to assure the valves are closed.
It is possible to see a nicked valve stem through the valve spring coil (a mirror and flashlight will be required), but
in some cases the valve spring may need to be removed. Photos of a nicked valve stem are shown below.

Subject: Excessive Engine Oil Consumption (Verify Condition, Inspect Valve Stems,
Replace Cylinder Heads if Necessary)
Models: 2006-2007 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado Classic
2007 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe,
TrailBlazer
2006-2007 GMC Envoy, Sierra Classic
2007 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL
2007 Pontiac Grand Prix
2006-2007 Saab 9-7X
with 4.8L or 5.3L V8 Engine (VINs C, B, Z, 3, M, T, 0, V, C, J -- RPOs LY2, L33, L59, LC9,
LH6, LM7, LMG, LR4, LS4, LY5)
Do This Don't Do This
• Inspect for excessive oil consumption.
• Inspect all valves for damage and replace
cylinder heads as needed.
Do NOT replace engine assembly or build up cylinder
heads with SPO material.
A valve stem nick can be in any 360 degree area due to rotation, so each valve stem must be examined carefully.
If the engine oil consumption is excessive, and a nicked valve stem has been found, the cylinder heads will need to
be replaced. The cylinder heads will be serviced as an assembly (the head will be complete with valves and springs)
and shipped to the dealer by the Warranty Parts Center (WPC). The dealer will have to order the necessary
parts/gaskets to complete the cylinder heads remove and replace. Refer to the Cylinder Head Replacement
procedures in the applicable Engine Mechanical sub-section.

Top Bottom