Maverick xmr fires

WarrenG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Saw this on the commander forums and just thought I'd share as a heads up...

On a FB Can Am Site
Hey there all, My name is Charlie and i had a 2016 can am maverick xmr burn up last month. My insurance is finally paying for it but only what was owed on the loan and the gap covers the rest of the loan that the insurance did not pay. Anyway, i got a call from BRP finally yesterday and they told me that my machine was burnt to bad to determine the cause so they would not take responsibility and that i was to deal with my insurance! An outside investigation company determined the cause by way of other reports and witnesses and BRP told me that there is no two accurances alike so therefore it wasn't their problem. The maverick xmr has the snorkle installed at the factory and there is no heat sheild anywhere on the exhaust on these vehicles and the snorkle is to close to the exhaust causing it to melt and starting fires. There are over a hundred cases my insurance has printed off the internet but BRP still will not take responsability for it. Note, all of these xmr's have caught fire in the same place, and there are more then what the insurance printed, but yet BRP says there is no problem and won't stand behind their product! My wife and i got out with minor injuries, fortunately we had a friend behind us to get us to stop because there was no indication anything was wrong while we were driving, its when we stopped, the flames burst up between us enough that we couldn't see each other get out! Less then 5 minutes later it was sitting on the ground! If we were last in our group that day who knows what the out come might have been, those seat belts are easy to undo, but when you pannic, they don't undo so fast! That was our second can am, our first was a commander that we traded towards the xmr, and now we are out that trade as well as sitting for the last month, had to cancel reservations we had with our riding group, not to mention the stress and aggravation of dealing with BRP and the insurance! Please pass this along and respond if you are having simular issues, one person can't take on a multi billion dollar company, but if we get all of us together then they will have to listen!

oldrzr

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your Commander. I'm riding a 2014 RZR 1000 and had it in for a bunch of recalls. I didn't have to pay anything but it had a pile of heat shields installed and various other things done to it. Took it out for the first good run last week and had truoble with the relays for the fuel pump and rad fan. went back to Polaris and they said I must have got it wet once which i did and got the relays wet but now it has a new gasket in the fuse box as one of the recalls. I asked them why didn't you change the relays or at least let me know what might happen. "It's not under the recall for us to do that" I hear you it's not easy trying to fight these big companies. I have over $25,000.00+ invested in this machine but they don't care.
Good luck on your fight with them I feel for you

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad too hear the both of you are ok Warren, that's the main thing in my books.

Crappy that you folks lost your ride and some of the value as it cost a few bucks to finding next ride, replace the set-up and get back into the grove.

Many of us get frustrated when things go South, "right-fully" so since it takes time to move forward at many other things.

Pal Don from Lacombe

WarrenG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No no this didn't happen to me! I just wanted to share this story because I know some people on here have the Maverick XMR.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess I should look at mine for anything melted.

The front header did catch skeg on fire May long weekend. Had to remove seat snd plastic to put it out.

Wonder how many km it had when it caught on fire.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am not sure why insurance would not pay full value. On ours I put on 2 year 100 percent replacement for fire theft or write off.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am not sure why insurance would not pay full value. On ours I put on 2 year 100 percent replacement for fire theft or write off.

Oh oh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Val just told me won't have it after 2 years already.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You plan on loosing it

SamStorm

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fire seems to be a recurring theme on the XMR's this year. Been hearing a lot of reports of fires on the ATV's as well. Same issue. Snorkel by the exhaust is melting and melting the seats/plastics leading to fires.
For all Maverick owners, there also are issues with the neck on the gas tank cracking so it doesn't hurt to keep an eye on it, especially if ya start smelling gas. Carry an extinguisher.

Hopefully BRP will step up and help those that have lost their bikes. It took a long time for Polaris to finally admit hey had problems on the RZR, unfortunately it was only after people were severely hurt/killed.
These issues need to be fixed before the worse happens again.

WarrenG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah it's a shame that with known safety hazards the manufacturer won't step up and do anything about it until serious injuries or even a death occurs.
I also put full replacement value insurance on mine but it's only for the stock price. I've got another $10k into mine in upgrades but am not sure how to go about getting the insurance company to recognize that. I'm sure even if they did it would just mean a big spike in my premiums. Anyone have any experience with this?

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And clean around the front header pipe...skeg , grass ,weeds etc sits in there and starts a fire ... That we know !!
l made an easy quick remove access panel for under the drivers seat . Pull seat and 4 push pins ... Rather than 20 mins to take all the plastic off to get to said header...!
put this on Ray's and my mavs . Should come like that from factory ...!
we both rapped the header pipes as well.
I suspect a lot of fires start from this ,as most XMR s are ridden in an environment where that crap collects more often . I would wonder if this is an undiagnosed issue , as well .
Both our machines are full of flammable crap next to the header after a long days ride in the same conditions. clean , clean clean this out often , or install an access panel to get to it quickly , or she could be up in flames before you get to the trouble spot !!
This is based off of our rides and experiences so far , with both machines since new ...
my machine is the XDS turbo therefore it is quite different in terms of snorkels & exhaust than the XMR .None the less , I have had no
plastic melting at all so far ... And neither has Ray , on his XMR to the best of my knowledge .

I would assume commander owners should take note as well..,
Thanks for bringing this up !!

Last edited:

WarrenG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah you're right this is a known issue on the commanders as well. That access panel is a great idea, well done! With this being a known issue it would be easy for them to install an access panel like this at the factory but I'd never expect that. Keeping it cleaned out well is the best way to prevent anything from catching fire but it can't hurt to be prepared with the crap we all ride through around here. I always have a few bottles of water in my cooler but I'll definitely be adding a small fire extinguisher soon.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah it's a shame that with known safety hazards the manufacturer won't step up and do anything about it until serious injuries or even a death occurs.
I also put full replacement value insurance on mine but it's only for the stock price. I've got another $10k into mine in upgrades but am not sure how to go about getting the insurance company to recognize that. I'm sure even if they did it would just mean a big spike in my premiums. Anyone have any experience with this?

We picked out xmr up in April.

After I added the extras I called my insurance company.
All they required was pdf copies off all extras. Then adjusted the insurance to reflect extras.

Easy to do.

WarrenG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh wow that's good to know. My insurance renews soon I'll have to inquire about that. Thanks for the info.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've seen the exhaust burn through the radiator hoses too on a Maverik with rad relocate.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They sure are a hot ride

Top Bottom