Make sure your 30 m Behind a vehicle in St.Albert

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
So to prevent hear end collisions you should be 30m behind the other vehicle, its a new pilot project in St.Albert to prevent rear end collisions.
Could you imagine the traffic if everyone did this.
30 meters back.jpg

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your going to be constantly on the brakes to regain the 30m cause everyones jumping into the space. Too funny. Wonder how much it cost them to think that would work , exspecially in highspeed Alberta.

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a traffic light every 100ft now in STA, which aren't ever sinked. You're breaking constantly, bypass as much as possible.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
So to prevent hear end collisions you should be 30m behind the other vehicle, its a new pilot project in St.Albert to prevent rear end collisions.
View attachment 193445
Here in Regina we have signs on the back of our graders, stay back 15m, people think that means stay back 15feet, no grasp of distance. Trying to plot snow on one of the major arteries in Regina, being the last grader you have to ensure you keep the roadways open so you have to back up a few times. Luckily seen someone was behind me, well one time I never and backed right on top of a 1/4 ton truck. Had all my beacons going, back up alarm, and the sign stating to keep back 15m, and the police officer gave me a ticket for unsafe backing. I fought it in court, and won because the cop never showed up. The worst because I was on night shift and had to be at court at 10am...

basically what I'm trying to say is people have no grasp on distance, and some officers of the law abuse their power trying to feel important. That 30m law is going to cause so many headaches.

Last edited:

BrosBeforeHos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well it's not like that's a big surprise. Camera's on every pole catching people doing god knows what. I bypass St. Albert all together now. Scared if my tires go over the line on a yellow I'll be getting a surprise in the mail. That place must make a killing in fines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I lived in St. Albert all 26 years of my life up until last October when I moved to Sherwood Park. Like iceman said, there's traffic lights every 100ft. Good luck getting this enforced in rush hour!! Want to go crazy? Try drive through St. Albert trail during rush hour. You'll hit every red light almost guaranteed and hopefully you don't speed or run a light since there's a camera bolted to every post and a cop hiding behind every power box.

But hey it was ranked the best place to live and has some of the highest property taxes to boot

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
You think the traffic lights in Sherwood Park are better? Ummmm NO.

I've lived here my entire life, and the county solves everything with a traffic light.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
View attachment 193445

A strategy enacted by the same brilliant traffic analysts that came up with the zipper merge.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I want one of those signs for my garage....everybody needs a laugh now and then!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
have to ask,whats a zipper merge
I work in construction, the zipper merge is a dangerous thing. I've seen more then a few idiots that should lose their license. In theory it should work, but when you have every other idiot in the line then you see what happens....

Last edited:

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
I work in construction, the zipper merge is a dangerous thing. I've seen more then a few idiots that should lose their license.
How else are you supposed to merge. Isn't that just standard practice. Merge lane gets you up to speed of traffic then you pull in when clear. People that stop or slow down in merge lanes f it up big time.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
How else are you supposed to merge. Isn't that just standard practice. Merge lane gets you up to speed of traffic then you pull in when clear. People that stop or slow down in merge lanes f it up big time.
If people knew how to drive that would work, thats my point lol. In a perfect world. heres a couple pictures of what I mean that might get a chuckle. If people would merge when traffic is still moving, well before the lane closure it would keep traffic flowing. But they go straight to the end, and stop and wait for someone to have to stop completely and let them merge in, stopping the entire line because that person felt their time is more important than the rest. I've spent my fair share watching traffic come to a stand still because two idiots, one st the closure with their signal light on, and the other stopping to let them in.
Sometimes this is how I feel lol

d1d134c3009b5da60d6099dd639de0ef54f410dae92a393d149393c3073298a4.jpg

38608869iegfh_sm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Only time I've been pulled over in the last 8 years was in St. A. and got a YELLOW light ticket. Was through before it was red but the cop figured I could have stopped so stops me at 5pm going SE out of town on 2. What a joke that town is. And I've travelled through Red Light Deer.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

It's special because the signs encourage people to wait until the actual closure to merge, rather than merging well ahead of the closure. And in theory it is the worst possible way to merge, because:
1. Merging vehicles slow down
2. The only way to minimize traffic delays is to maximize vehicle throughput (speed) through the bottleneck
3. So by merging _at_ the bottleneck you guarantee vehicles in the bottleneck are going way slower than if they had merged 500+ meters earlier and got up to speed

Top Bottom