lust over other makes of quad?

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lets all get real. stock Can-ams dont dominate.. Can-am is plucking smart and dont get me wrong i like the can-ams .. but they partnered with gorila axel for god sakes. and you wonder why they rape everyone.

last year a Grizzly 600 won many races this year the same feller is riding a Can-am and wining. its always the rider and who sponsors him.

don't get me wrong the HP of the can-ams is incredible. and most of the sand dunner mods cant be aplyed to the mud pits so .

hey Leonard, i have to agree with your comment there.. you are right in that respect... and yes i have to agree with that last staement too.

yes lots of the time, it can be the rider, but to win all the time is odd that only can-am has the best riders. i don't think so. many good riders ride for other teams. just sayin....

and the guy that says if it was'nt for the renegade ...... its not the renegade that kicks here.... its the outlanders. im totally serious.... in pro racing there is only 1 class for renegade at the national level which is U2, but for outlander there are classes till the cows come home. lol... so its not cause of the rene..... tlhe outlanders are the wons winning all the time.

listen guys, i used to own polaris.. still love them, love the brutes too. nice machine, imo... i am just talking strictly on a performance basis only. nothing else... i guess its what you consider performance, i guess.. each there own..
not starting a pissing match at all, just discussing things and giving my 2 cents here... rebutles are allowed and i am a big boy, i can defend myself yery well when it comes to these subjects...

so i enjoy this type of back and forth and don't jump to conclusions. i am can-am oriented for a reason... i have not said anything that is not the truth thou....

also the gorilla thing is just for the tires, the axles are stock and are breaking on stock machines left and right... its the tires, i tell ya... thru on a pair of zilla's in a 28 and go ride.... maybe not as good as the gorrilla but who is throwing you money for running those big heavy lugs and breaking things and thinking can-am is responsible for the fix... with the zilla's you will not break anything and you will get thru just about as much as before... and your pocket book will be happy. i have seen xmr's with 28 zilla's out perform an xmr with gorrilla's totally silly in the general riding characteristics.

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats sad seeing their main go to people are gorilla axel

totally agree! its stupid... so many better places...

Leonard, one other comment i read, i don't really agree with is you say its who sponser you.. well true if your pro..but many thousands in the states race on a semi ameture/ pro basis depending if the at the gncc national level or the awrsc state level.. so only a handfull have proper sponsorship and the others race mostly on there own penny.... they still all take over 90 % of the wins home. i mean its proven over and over again.. these are the ones that set the trent for all of us here. we don't even come close to what they run down there..

i mean we finally get a shop opening in edmonton that knows there stuff very good and has a state of the art dyno with a eddy current brake on it... only one in alberta as far as i know with a brake. we are just getting into proper tuning up here for many machines lately. years for the states boys thou.

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
why would you need help.

edit:

and btw I've been with riding partners that have swamped twins. and tbh i wish Alberta had a law that you could pack a side arm so i could shoot myself in the head when it happens.

every time its happened has been a record as the longest night of my life.
well, that could be true, i never swamped one before, but i guess thats the chance you take to be on the podium thou, i guess. life goes on. there is always some sort of negative with any machine you buy stock, so the debate
keep going, i guess.:beer:

4byrookie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well, that could be true, i never swamped one before, but i guess thats the chance you take to be on the podium thou, i guess. life goes on. there is always some sort of negative with any machine you buy stock, so the debate
keep going, i guess.:beer:

Anyone that has even the slightest mechanical knowledge can have a twin running within 30min of being swamped. Pull the plugs, lift the machine up on the back end and let drain. It doesn't take any longer than getting a single running after being swamped. Been there done that with a few different guys. That should have no bearing on what kind of machine to buy.

Also this thread is about a persons lust over a different quad not a detailed case study to do with Can-ams racing history. We all know they make the fastest STOCK quad. Take the price of a new top end Can-am(as you keep mentioning)$15G+. Then just for an example take the price of a Brute 750(I bought mine new for $9500) but say even now you could get one OTD for around $10-11G. Leaves you with $4-5G to add top end suspension, A BBK(almost as big as you want to go), clutch kit, tires, wheels and maybe a few other things. Then lets see how the Can-am compares(and all done for the same cost). This would apply to the polaris 850's as well but I think they are more expensive to buy than the Brutes

Last edited:

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey boys, its all good man.. this debate could go on for ever. lol. lets all just get out there and quad... we all have nice machines and enjoy them alot...

well i head out tomorrow for the long weekend too, like many of you are doing. everyone stay safe and enjoy the long.:beer:

grizzlymud

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol I love how every thread like this the Canam guys come on and say there's is the best and the rest don't matter. As for Canam being the top dog in the mud racing yes they maybe in the TWIN class, single? Oh yea there not. And when you have 100 quads racing (most sponsored by either canam or gorilla or a sub)and 99 are Canam then who do you think is going to win more? Think there were some cats that won as well just not as many racing. Everyone has the reason for liking the quad they have and every time I hear a canam guy saying there's is the best makes me not want one even more. End of rant have good day.

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol I love how every thread like this the Canam guys come on and say there's is the best and the rest don't matter. As for Canam being the top dog in the mud racing yes they maybe in the TWIN class, single? Oh yea there not. And when you have 100 quads racing (most sponsored by either canam or gorilla or a sub)and 99 are Canam then who do you think is going to win more? Think there were some cats that won as well just not as many racing. Everyone has the reason for liking the quad they have and every time I hear a canam guy saying there's is the best makes me not want one even more. End of rant have good day.

So it worked, it sucks when every one rides the same, your words 99 out of a 100 are CANAM winning .Can 99 people be wrong and 1 right HUH :d:d FYI the outlander 400 holds its own with others 400,450,500 and 550 very well too.:smiliestirthepot:

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol pretty defensive there grizzlymud some one feeling regret for not spending a little more money :p just kidding, hey if you have a quad and you're happy with it you're ahead right? sure i ride a can am as well X MR :D and i respect other guys rides because hey i'll ride with you no matter what why? because your quad is your preference and mine is my preference. Would I encourage you to buy a can am? absolutely only because compared to other 4x4s i've ridden i prefer can am the most. I'm sure kwik feels the same, but hey who doesnt mind braggin a little right? I see what you're saying about how you can spend the money you saved on mods but remember i have a three year warranty on my "stock" machine, you won't. That means when i break something (because we all do) its fixed at the manufacturers expense, not mine. That alone is worth the extra money to me because i break stuff a lot because i'm hard on machines. Again i don't want to start a fire and i'd love to go riding sometime if you're close, have an awesome long weekend and get stuck for me eh!

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Well, first of all I AM NOT saying its the best, and the rest do matter. they are all nice machines.. just stating facts, (there not my facts) and if the facts make can-am look good, then so be it, i guess. you guys get mad at me for stating facts, thats funny... why don't you state all your facts. and make sure you have proof, to back it up.. thats all. Even if i owned a popo or brute, or what ever, i would still talk this way. Believe me, the hams have there problems too, just like any other quad does but the pros out do the cons when i do my homework.

i look at all the facts and thats how i buy and if its more money, who cares?
Look at what we drive, we could all do ok with a base truck or car but we spend lots of money to have the best options on our vechicles. same thing here. i look at the whole picture, large companies, spend money on research and development and 90% of this development comes straight from the racing world...these companies, if invovled spend millions on these type of programs and the feedback to the engineers is priceless... this is the way each and every brand develops into a better product, especially if it has a motor in it. Can i help it if brp spends millions to be better than someone else? No. Why do they do that? Well, to sell quads, i guess. this is why most of the thousands of racing leagues in the US see can-am's at the starting line.
They are an agressive company and if the others would step up to the plate and start matching the performance, then you would see way less hams at the starting line.....

All the technology you see in any brand of quad comes from the racing world. that why just about every maufacturer has a racing program ( cars, trucks bikes, quads, you name it, its there)and the ones that spend the money on
development of better performance products on there machines is going be better. its not rocket science people.

Second, there are no single cylinder classes, they all run together.. if you can win with a single then more power to ya. but till now it has not happened.

And i wonder why 95 % are can-ams? believe me, the other 5 % are trying everything in the book, but not suceeding to well...

so since i have been invovled in racing all my life, ( 30 years of 1/4 mile, 6 years of sea-doo and 8 years of mx racing and now the last 10 in trail riding in quads) i guess i look at it differenly when i buy a machine.....

you can't knock me for that..... i do my homework very well and thats how i buy.. we all get form point a to b, its just that i like doing it on a ham.

kingkris06

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

they all like to yap , Yamaha fan boys are no exception ;-)
there is no one unit for everybody , actualy in the competition they are usually classed by CC and when they started the racing series canam had the most power / CC. also depending on the rules alot of the races are limited to a maximum of 2 inch lift, so your not going use a honda with 9inch of ground clearance compared to a arctic cat with 14.

ive also heard claims that the tti suspension on the canam have a hare less drag compared to a regular a arm

FTBeaver

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I for one am glad there is someone out there that can tell everyone which quad they should be lusting after. I for one would love to try out an xmr but that has nothing to do with what has been posted above. I just think they look cool.

4byrookie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I for one am glad there is someone out there that can tell everyone which quad they should be lusting after. I for one would love to try out an xmr but that has nothing to do with what has been posted above. I just think they look cool.

You better do months and months of research before you even think about trying an XMR. You can't lust over anything without knowing and checking all the facts first. Although if you wait another day some Dildo might put another, "praise the Can-am and we should not look at anything but Can-am", post.

grizzlymud

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they all like to yap , Yamaha fan boys are no exception ;-)
there is no one unit for everybody , actualy in the competition they are usually classed by CC and when they started the racing series canam had the most power / CC. also depending on the rules alot of the races are limited to a maximum of 2 inch lift, so your not going use a honda with 9inch of ground clearance compared to a arctic cat with 14.

ive also heard claims that the tti suspension on the canam have a hare less drag compared to a regular a arm

Actually you need to check out the class rules if you think different as you are wrong. Trust me, I have the rules, as we were going to start our own points racing.

FTBeaver

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You better do months and months of research before you even think about trying an XMR. You can't lust over anything without knowing and checking all the facts first. Although if you wait another day some Dildo might put another, "praise the Can-am and we should not look at anything but Can-am", post.

Funny thing is I can lust over any type of quad that I want. I never said I didn't know about Can-am. I just can't justify paying that much for a machine that will only see mud 4 times a year, then have to buy a set of take off tires just so I can use it around the yard the rest of the year. "Months and months of research" I didn't know that I had to go to school just to like a machine. I guess 8 years of riding, seeing the machines in action on rally's and reading all the specs and reviews online aren't enough.

4byrookie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Funny thing is I can lust over any type of quad that I want. I never said I didn't know about Can-am. I just can't justify paying that much for a machine that will only see mud 4 times a year, then have to buy a set of take off tires just so I can use it around the yard the rest of the year. "Months and months of research" I didn't know that I had to go to school just to like a machine. I guess 8 years of riding, seeing the machines in action on rally's and reading all the specs and reviews online aren't enough.

I wasn't saying anything towards you, I was being a smart arse towards Kwik racing's posts. Sorry if I offended you in any way.

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
4byrookie your wrong because a 2cyl can and will fire on 1 cyl if only 1 gets flooded I've seen it at least 3 x and both times bent the con rod of the flooded cylinder.

no amount of clearing the cylinder after that will help its a rebuild job.

if i was rolling a twin id would def have it factory snorkeled which is the reason i say id want either a MP or a XMR

4byrookie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
4byrookie your wrong because a 2cyl can and will fire on 1 cyl if only 1 gets flooded I've seen it at least 3 x and both times bent the con rod of the flooded cylinder.

no amount of clearing the cylinder after that will help its a rebuild job.

if i was rolling a twin id would def have it factory snorkeled which is the reason i say id want either a MP or a XMR

If that happened then someone didn't drain the water properly. Only takes 5-10 minutes to pull the plugs, tip the machine up on end and crank it a few times with no plugs. Water drains from the exhaust and clears the cylinders and throttle body or carbs(whichever). The only thing that is a pain is if you have to do any oil changes. I am not saying I am right or wrong but this is what a few guys and me have done on a few occasions and have had no issues. It took us less time to get the quads running than it took the Grizzly to stop overheating.

You can't just try and fire it up right away other wise it will be a rebuild job for sure.

Last edited:

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well, after reading 4 pages, everyone sort of has there own thoughts on what they mite buy or have..

First of all, we all want to generally have the " best " quad, so to speak. thats why most of us do a mod or two. then there are the insane (lol) that do lots of mods and chase power, like me... we are insane and this is a deasease
is wildly spread among us humans....

so if we take a close look at what we spend our hard money on, here are some facts that i consider money well spent...

1. with a can-am you have the MOST POWERFUL motor on the market. No other stock machine can claim this... to me thats worth my money.

2. with the upper models you now get the BEST Stock Suspension on the market.... KYB Piggy back Shocks with Ride height, low and high speed compression settings and rebound adjustments...shocks in the aftermarket form of these are worth between 2000 to 3000 dollars a set...Why would'nt you want the best suspension that is availible for your money? i would!
Unless you have ridden superior suspension, don't knock it. its one of the best mods you can do for performance cornering and handling.

3. You have a TTI arms in the back that keep the tires riding in a proper vertical line. For handling this is the best type of IRS you can get.. Proven by many, many professionals that race.

4. you now get the QE visco lock which is jst as good as polarises 4 x 4 on demand...if you look at all the mud racing in the U.S. the machine that takes 98 % of the pouidums is Can-am in ameture and pro classes.domination has been there for 4 years now...

5. In GNCC racing ( grand national cross country) which is the premier 4 x 4 quad classes can-am doninates there too for the last 4 years also.

6. The geometry of the frame on a can-am is handling and performance specific.. no other machine has a race bread geometry from the factory.

7. Upper Machines in can-am line come with a true bead lock wheel and if you want a indestructable wheel that will never debead again then get a beadlock. You can also now change tires by yourself too. Best type of wheel on the market. period.

i work hard for my money, why would'nt i want to spend it on the best possible, imo..

so these are 7 reasons why i would think that i spent my money in the right place..... here is a vid that a bud took. he has his wife on the back (belief me it would'nt have mattered if there was no one on the machine) and we raced. Then i raced other can-am's in my group and the same results.. remember most these machines are not stock either.. they have pipes and other things done to them...

As you watch the race consider that the losing machine has his trottle wide open. it looks like he is standing still... now im not hating on his machine either.. this is a good gauge to see what can be done with the most powerful motor to date and im mild. there are guys that are pushing close to 100 rwhp on there 800's. i have only a mild 64 RWHP> lol. i pull strong right to my rev limit of 8600 and am still making 50 rwhp at 87 0r 140 kph.

so i am not hating on other machines, i am just giving facts on what is out there for your hard earned money. i used to own popo's for many years, still love them. also love the brutes... but man, how can you argue with what i pointed out about brp.

http://youtu.be/6ie42PAwkLo[/URL] oh my God! i can't get the vid to show here.. i put in an insert but on this site i have never put a link to utube so it came up like this.. how do i fix this? LOL.how do i get it so you can press on it and it takes you to the vid?????? thanks for the help in advance. if you need the actually site to help me, go to utube and type in "spyd980 " and scroll down to vid that says mark's modded big power renegade video. thats the one i tryed to put here..

In response to your 7 facts i would have to agree to disagree....I have owned a 09 renegade,brute750 and polaris 850 as well as over 12 other quads so i am not new to this so to speak...

I think you are caught up in the good ole USA mud pit racing scene a little too much...lol . A highly modified bike going in a pit with mostly water, no obstacles ,off camber, rocks ,logs etc. is a lot different than 95 % of of the mudding we do up here....I have rode with and on large lifted bikes,in the pits they do fine on the trail they suck...

If it is a matter of making the most power out of the engine,(in a quad)i agree canam does . However, in the real world MOST of us put a pipe /pc5/clutch kit and ride, maybe 5 % go into the motor and do more.

That brings me to my next point ,what did it cost you to get that 68 rwhp in total dollars ? In our riding up here ,CLUTCHING is worth way more to me than a few more HP. The brute/850xp/canam all make enough power to be competitive stock....imo. Only the popo turns 31 laws with no problems stock,in real mud not water...So in some respects it is bang for your buck.

After owning both bikes , the 850 xp out muds my 09 renegade no question in my mind. Why...It has more ground clearance,more bottom end, weighs more,has better clutching and a far superior 4/4 system be it qe or previous. Also i can lift the bike for a fraction of the cost of lifting the can am..
As for performance,my 850 is stock with a pipe and qsc clutch set up with 30/11 zilla`s front and rear . .I have raced a renegade with 27 zilla`s and we are dead even..With a XMR i walk away from him, 4 to 5 lengths...So again with AVERAGE mods the XP is right there if not ahead.

I will not make this longer than it needs to be , but my point is for bang for the buck i would put the 850 xp well above the canam... I have just over 10000 in my bike total,what do the canams start at 14/15 k ? Then add the mods and you are into it for what 18 K plus...To make a capable mudder out of a new xp you will be into it for 12 / 12.5 k total.The canam does not mud 6000 $ better, trust me !!
If you want total speed and price is no object,get the can am , no doubt. But if you just want to ride and don`t have canam factory support behind you there are brutes,grizlies,popo`s to consider as well.

Once again this is from some one who has OWNED them and not simply talked about them...lol

Now if this were side /sides this would be a different story. After spending the weekend with a rzr xp 900, can am better come out with a new sport model because this thing is a beast and has no competition so far....

Top Bottom