Lloydminster overpass collapse

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This one looks expensive

hoecrash2.jpg

jdawgtherigpig

Reaction score
id say he was going pretty fast...its 80 there but most guys are over 100 by the overpass...
you should see it in person its. pretty funny. the train tracks are moved over a foot like 80 feet from the bridge.

sure a lot of hate on the cementers on here..lol

good career choice i took after the rigs. haha

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Assuming he was going 100km/h and stopped in about 20 feet, he would have felt a deceleration equivalent to 6.6g. Yikes.

A top fuel dragster that accelerates from 0-160km/h in 0.86 seconds feels 5.3g's.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I bet he spilt his coffee and was wide awake after that. Log book inspection??? He will know all his future load heights and pay attention to what is posted to clearance heights

tankeryanker

Reaction score
Well, me thinks I better get used to detouring through the country for a month or six while this chit gets moved outta da way!!

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time with this one, Look at the size of the bridge section and just the shear weight of it, even if it is on bearing like maxwell said, I think it would take more force then a semi hauling a loader could do even at 150 km/h. I guess the loader is built alot stronger then I though and the chains holding it to the trailer didnt even brake???

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time with this one, Look at the size of the bridge section and just the shear weight of it, even if it is on bearing like maxwell said, I think it would take more force then a semi hauling a loader could do even at 150 km/h. I guess the loader is built alot stronger then I though and the chains holding it to the trailer didnt even brake???

Well,a 240 is around that 60,000lb mark, Truck with no winch, and he doesn't really have much for a headache rack so I would put it around the 22,000lb mark. Tri lowboy with a flip over neck, ours are 23,000 lbs. So in total he was rolling down the road at around 105,000 lbs. at 80 + km/h. The bridge was sitting on 4 pedestals, bolted down into the concrete columns. So the mathematicians can figure out the velocity/impact force,etc, etc :) . Now this part is where I'm hypothesizing ( word of the day) the bridge didn't need to move very far until the pedestals fell off the edge of the concrete columns, then once the ballast started shifting, it was like a slide, the cross beams just slid along the concrete columns and gravity did the rest with the momentum of the hoe helping it along. The tie down chains on the hoe DID break, you can see in the picture that the front of the hoe is about 5' in the air and the back is pushed into the front axle of the lowboy. I had a few more pictures emailed to me, and they show things a little clearer. Again, just my theory, either way, wouldn't wish that on anybody.

Last edited:

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention also, when the hoe hit it would be lifting on the one side of the bridge as well as pushing it forward.

Top Bottom