Let's talk GPS

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most gps download to google earth..google is a great product, magellans mapping interface is same quality as google earths or you can use google either one.

Two Blue

Reaction score
That's good to know. I havre never tried downloading to google for maps.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All u need is where the truck is. Mabe a few way points of where to go and where not to go.... The rino frs radio-gps is the best.... The other guys I ride have them. If they get stuck or out of group they show up on the gps when they key the Mic....I have boulder males out, I have frisby males ( point by point along the ridges ).

man when you come out of the closet you make a bold statement, i assume you hit L instead of the P, at least i hope so.
most of the mapping etc is oriented to garmin any other gps you will have to figure it out. garmin rhino for me.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if you have considered the Delorme with spot?? Love mine, really like being able to send out txt msg typing it on the gps and sending it out through the spot. As well as being able to call for help with the SOS feature.

http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=219

They also have a new inReach model but the plans for service seem to be a lot more then the spot plans.

Good luck in your search

The Delorme mapping sucks. All mapping is based on topo maps form the 80's. Garmin did an update to their system in 2010, overlaying satelite images with the 1980's topos from Natural Resources Canada.

The most accurate maps are Garmin and MapSource. The Delorme battery life is also half of any Garmin series.

I've actually done a lot of research recently as I am trying to update my gps but also reduce the amount of gizmos I carry.

The inReach system isn't as good as SPOT yet. It is having its issues, especially with the Android OS. The new Garmin Rino touch screen as mentioned is having some issues. If mutiple people you ride with have Rino's they are very nice to have.

The Montana is meant to be basically an all around GPS that you can use in a cradle for driving/boating but also carry with you. Its huge. The newer Garmin 62's are the best for mapping and connecting. They are accurate and no matter what cover is overhead they get signals. I don't like buttons though. That was the biggest draw back on my older gps. The buttons eventually fail.

The Oregon 450 laoded with Canada maps is likely the best all around gps. You can get a ram mount with cradle for $35 as well.

***I should mention, don't get a 450T with preloaded maps. They are not the 2010 updated version. If you are going to get the 450, get the 450 with the topo disk. Or you can get the 450 with the BackCountry Road's map pack. Fairly pricey at around $150 for one province, or $275 for both BC/AB. Great maps though.

If you have a Smart phone with true GPS, as my Android has, you can download Backcountry Navigator. Its under $10. I carry my phone with me only because I don't leave it in my truck where it could be stolen. I have tried it and its very accurate for a cell phone gps receiver. Really its almost an everything in one deal. Phone, GPS, HD Vid Camera, and if I went with the new inReach system a satelite transmitter. But the technology just isn't there yet to use it for everything it has. Plus I would likey need to carry a spare battery with me as running on GPS eats up battery life.

If more people I rode with had Rino's, then Rino is they way to go. Otherwise look at the the Oregons.

Last edited:

Two Blue

Reaction score
Thanks for the time and feedback on your post. There is much to consider and you have obviously done your homework.... thanks a bunch..

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well i got rid of my garmin rino and went out and bought the magellan 610 canadian version for 299 dollar sale price at canadiantire. This is one sweet gps for sure, the electronic compass orients the map is such a way that where you point the gps is the direction your heading. You can do all your layout work on your computer with vantage piont then down load it into you gps.

inside

Reaction score
I have a 530 hcx and have had no trouble with cold it works well and is handy to find the lost and stuck.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well i got rid of my garmin rino and went out and bought the magellan 610 canadian version for 299 dollar sale price at canadiantire. This is one sweet gps for sure, the electronic compass orients the map is such a way that where you point the gps is the direction your heading. You can do all your layout work on your computer with vantage piont then down load it into you gps.

The Magellan 610 series is fairly simular to the Garmin Oregon 450 series. Little better display on the Oregon and right now all the local GPS shops have lowered the pricing on the 450 to $249 and $69 for the Garmin maps. Plus, correct me if I am wrong, you can not add a micro card to the Magellan. So if you ever wanted to add more maps you are limited to the onboard memory. The Garmin maps are a little more updated but I don't think anything beats the Backroad GPS maps for BC/AB. Not sure if you can add those to the Magellan.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can add the micro card, i am not sure why you would need to spend more money on maps though. I have 600 hundreds dollars in bc topo maps which do interface with the 610, but the maps preinstalled are pretty darn good. So i may just print out a topo map before i leave, just incase. Vantage point is more up to date than google earth and you can buy a yearly subscription to vantage point, i am not sure what that gives you.. possible google earth imagery...maybe. The new roads and new subdivision in 2 towns are on my magellan and i could not find them on google earth, bing maps or any other mapping software, so this impressed me. I have not compared the oregon 450 side by side with mine but i have compared other models of garmin, i still own one of my 3 garmin gps's. After rereading this i realise of have a problem, i have still have 3 funtioning gps, who the hell needs 3. And a thousand dollars worth of software.

Last edited:

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes it does have high def imagery to be put on the gps and here is what it looks like

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wait until they come out with a GPS that has a built in Satelite transciever that allows you to have real time tracking and the ability to send and receive text messages. Then you will have another! :0

I think with the 450 and the 610 they are so close in comparrision it would be hard to say one is better than the other.

You can add the micro card, i am not sure why you would need to spend more money on maps though. I have 600 hundreds dollars in bc topo maps which do interface with the 610, but the maps preinstalled are pretty darn good. So i may just print out a topo map before i leave, just incase. Vantage point is more up to date than google earth and you can buy a yearly subscription to vantage point, i am not sure what that gives you.. possible google earth imagery...maybe. The new roads and new subdivision in 2 towns are on my magellan and i could not find them on google earth, bing maps or any other mapping software, so this impressed me. I have not compared the oregon 450 side by side with mine but i have compared other models of garmin, i still own one of my 3 garmin gps's. After rereading this i realise of have a problem, i have still have 3 funtioning gps, who the hell needs 3. And a thousand dollars worth of software.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I even have a couple of the backroads atlas's of bc, bring back memories looking at 50 year old roads that don't exist anymore, and 3 bc rec atlas. I have compared the colorado 400 but who knows maybe the will make a Utah model. Or get this...a canadian model.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I even have a couple of the backroads atlas's of bc, bring back memories looking at 50 year old roads that don't exist anymore, and 3 bc rec atlas. I have compared the colorado 400 but who knows maybe the will make a Utah model. Or get this...a canadian model.

I have an old BC rec atlas as well. Its still quite usefull as much info doesn't get passed along. Several years ago I used it when trying to locate an old abandoned mine townsite. The atlas showed it and showed a great road into it, where there was a small lake. My gps at the time was new Magellan explorist. It didn't show any road. I found what looked to be a road. 20 kms later I arrive at a dead end of some goat path. I never did find the townsite, and thankfully I didn't have the trailer behind me.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard stories of rental cars being a write off by people following the gps. They just keep going, right through washouts you name it. You have to wonder...what the hell are they thinking of as they total the car off.

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use a Garmin Oregon 450. Never had a problem with the touch screen in the cold, but I keep it in my jacket and reference only at points where i'm not sure what direction to go. Full color screen that is visible in daylight and customizable profiles to allow you to make sure the info you need is on the screen when you need it. I have a city, boating, hunting and sled profiles all ready to go instantly. I only wish I got the 550 with the camera!

We loaded it with the Alberta Backroads mapbook on SD. Best thing ever. Not only are all the major trails loaded, but all staging areas, boat launches (very important to mark the launch when on a new lake!), fishing, recreation areas, campsites, it goes on and on, and all at your finger tips.

The funnest thing is the super easy interface with goole earth. Hook it up and two clicks you can show the kids how far you went! All your tracks and waypoints are right there.

I also use Ram mounts on the bike, boat and truck. Still not sure about a mount for the sled. Never really needed it.

dinlaroche

Reaction score
Add about +10 to the Garmin Rino 530HCX. Nearly everyone I know has them and they are brilliant when all we do is ride in the trees. It has helped us navigate a handful of times when we weren't exactly sure where we were going, but the big bonus is tracking down friends stuck in the woods.

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Of coarse if you have cell phone coverage i would use a cell phone for a gps. Apple - iPhone 4S - See the best way to go with Maps and Compass.

The iPhone does not need coverage for the GPS function to work. It has "enhanced GPS" which uses cell tower triangulation to get a location quicker. With regular GPS it has to acquire satellite info which takes a couple of minutes. Using GPS on iPhone would use battery faster.

I am looking at GPS software for iPhone so I can use it as the only device I take with me. Being a phone, camera, video etc etc.

Top Bottom