Let's ride! (The Notch & Rolling Hills)

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Here's the weather forecast for the region as issued by the Ski Hill. This coincides with the same reports offered by the weather station for Fernie.

Couple of us heading out Thursday and staying until Sunday.

The Weather Network is not generous; less than a cm for Thursday evening and with +3 on Friday it will be rain. Don't want to burst your bubble but.....

One concellation is that there is decent snow to find it you want to explore. Also, if you haven't been reading, Coal Creek is better than Morrissey. There wasn't much snow on the Morrissey FSR all winter and it has been hit by the sun. If you're running decks, no problem getting to the snow line. Have fun, fs

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Good or bad down low, we'll get up and find the good stuff, and heard that weather for Friday is to get colder temps above 1600M and snow up high. Gonna have to check out Coal Creek and yes I did see that mentioned in a few posts. Where is the Coal Creek staging area from town?

You gonna be around FS?

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Putting new sliders on in the morning!

Let's go down Thursday PM or Friday AM and stay to Sunday. Looks like 5cm Thursday and 5-10 on Friday with Bluebird days for Saturday and Sunday. I'm all over that one. Loading tomorrow to head down Friday.

Club ride at Cat. is cancelled so I'm up for Fernie on Saturday, mind if another Yami joins in?

Shawn

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Club ride at Cat. is cancelled so I'm up for Fernie on Saturday, mind if another Yami joins in?

Shawn

There are fee's for Yamie users to tax for the heavy lifting... :d

In either event, Ian (Foothills) got back to me last night. He was waiting for Gas Can to get back to him to make final arrangements.

I'd like to know if you guys go so I can get updated conditions. I'm hoping to get down Saturday to either join in sledding or do some back country boarding. Still waiting on my buddy to get back to me on that though too.

In the meantime I'm still dancing the snow dance.

EDIT: My dancing isn't paying off. Looks like the forecast has removed snow for today in Fernie. Golden is still getting some of it, but also important is the forcast for Golden. Lots of rain next week (forecasted) so hopefully lots of snow coming!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Good or bad down low, we'll get up and find the good stuff, and heard that weather for Friday is to get colder temps above 1600M and snow up high. Gonna have to check out Coal Creek and yes I did see that mentioned in a few posts. Where is the Coal Creek staging area from town?

You gonna be around FS?

Turn left at the set of lights before the last bridge (Rip 'n Richards restaurant), go over the tracks and first right on Cokato, left on Coal Creek road (small blue snowmobile sign) and go to the green metal bridge. If you are pulling trailers it might be best to unload there, decks you should be able to get further but I would be reluctant to go pass the quarry unless you had chains.

I still have 2 weeks with the sticks and the sprain part of the damage is still pretty painful and pretty much unworkable at this point in time. The break is in good shape but the ligaments are slow. And the snow is going waaaaaay tooooo faaaaaast......have fun!!

PS Pictures were taken Feb 6th and the damage was done in an unknown creek which my buddies have now named "Ankle Creek".

Attachments

• Ankle 1i.jpg
    Ankle 1i.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 38
  • Ankle 2i.jpg
    Ankle 2i.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 38

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Im coming Saturday with the kids and another buddy or two...not sure if we will go all the way to Coal, likely stage at the yellow gates again, its an hour shorter for us. We will be going sloooooowwww, the one kid has never been to the mountains, and the other has been doubling with me never ridden her own sled this year, should be a day full of suprises!!

Weather report keeps changing, but it looks promising for Sat

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the corbin trail to the flathead river and into the notch was in pretty good condition last week, took about an hour to get to the notch. if anyone is interested.

WTF!!!! Sorry for the language, but they changed the forcast massively since just an hour ago.

It went from up to 1cm of snow to 10-15mm of rain!!

KEEP DANCING! 7 degrees might mean heavy snow, but also might mean 1.5-2 feet of fresh powder.

I was ready to back out, but now I'm rip roaring again.

With how much they change the forcast, I think it's all done by computer models and nobody actually does the work. Typical trend these days.

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
There are fee's for Yamie users to tax for the heavy lifting... :d

In either event, Ian (Foothills) got back to me last night. He was waiting for Gas Can to get back to him to make final arrangements.

I'd like to know if you guys go so I can get updated conditions. I'm hoping to get down Saturday to either join in sledding or do some back country boarding. Still waiting on my buddy to get back to me on that though too.

In the meantime I'm still dancing the snow dance.

EDIT: My dancing isn't paying off. Looks like the forecast has removed snow for today in Fernie. Golden is still getting some of it, but also important is the forcast for Golden. Lots of rain next week (forecasted) so hopefully lots of snow coming!

Great...another Yammy to trench with me. lol The more the merrier Shawn. Heading down to meet Ian in an hour and then rolling down. We'll post an update about the snow on Friday after we get a ride in. Hope to see you guys Saturday.

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
It's gonna snow Shib. I looked at the coastal front rolling in and there's some -65 degree cells in there that are rotating counter clockwise towards the interior and hen onto the Pass. Kootenay pass is gettin 10-15cm today. That same system will hit Fernie tomorrow. Look at radar and satellite forecasts from the Canadian weather site. It's gonna dump up high.

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Were stuck in Coleman as the roads are closed due to blizzard near Sparwood!

lmao...don't we all wish?

Just rolled into Fernie and as we got out of the truck the snow has started. Looking good for Friday and might get a good dump higher up. Yippe- kiyay mofuggers! SNOW

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Sun's up, weather is socked in and it's raining down low. Should be snowing at higher elevations. Heading out in an hour or so, will post pics later today.

Well??? Any news bud?? Hoping for some good news, been watching the weather all day and it hasnt shown alot of promise...Loading up right now, still coming, last chance to take the kids this season...

Top Bottom