lawn tractors/ riding mower buying advice.....?

J-Roc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

I've got ten acres. I now about seven of it. Lots of trees and stumps to go around. I've been through three no name mowers and am looking to buy a quality machine without spending a fortune.

Within about an hours drive, we have husqvarna, john deere, cub cadet, etc, so I should have access to most brands.

I'm not even sure whether to look at a zero turn, because I love drinking a cold beer while I now. I did see that cub cadet has a zero turn with a steering wheel though....

I really know nothing about mowers, what I should buy, prices, etc. At max, I'm thinking 4-5 k is all I can justify spending.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions on zero turns and tractors are welcome. I'd even invest in a larger machine with a front end loader if it was practical....

Thanks!

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Deere EZ Trak zero turn mowers. Forget the beer. You'll be done so fast you can drink it in a lawn chair without the grass clippings. Lol.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I'm on my second green machine.Love the John Deere.Only reason we got rid of the first one after ten years was to get a bigger one for bigger acreage.Ten year old still worked fine.

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3018158-horses-eating-grass-on-a-green-field.jpg

yeeeee boiiiii

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a club cadet with independant front axle and love it 3700 cheaper than green.

PowMower

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a club cadet with independant front axle and love it 3700 cheaper than green.

Maybe you got a good one? Ours has been in the shop more times than it has mowed..I don't know what model it is but it wasn't cheap, has all the hydraulics to run front plow, angle etc.

MrHankey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a exmark zero turn 52" deck it like buying time we have 5 acres and I cut at least three of them ,I like how they rate there mowers by acres cut a hr

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

I've got ten acres. I now about seven of it. Lots of trees and stumps to go around. I've been through three no name mowers and am looking to buy a quality machine without spending a fortune.

Within about an hours drive, we have husqvarna, john deere, cub cadet, etc, so I should have access to most brands.

I'm not even sure whether to look at a zero turn, because I love drinking a cold beer while I now. I did see that cub cadet has a zero turn with a steering wheel though....

I really know nothing about mowers, what I should buy, prices, etc. At max, I'm thinking 4-5 k is all I can justify spending.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions on zero turns and tractors are welcome. I'd even invest in a larger machine with a front end loader if it was practical....

Thanks!

Sears has a zero radius turn mower on sale right now, dont know much about it, but it does look pretty solid for the money.

Last edited:

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a link to one of the sears models, I think the smaller one is on sale for 2499.00.

Green lovers flame away! But remember, we just want to mow our lawn.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Not gonna flame,I do love my green machine but have heard good things about craftsman also.Neighbor used to have one and bought the maintenance package,every spring a tech would come to his house and do a complete service which included a new blade.
a link to one of the sears models, I think the smaller one is on sale for 2499.00.

Green lovers flame away! But remember, we just want to mow our lawn.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whatever color you buy, make sure its hydrostatic drive, and has not one, but two beer holders....cause really, who the hell can mow grass with one beer? I have a 52" deck on my Deere, and only use it for my empty town lot...but I have to hump on it to get done before I drain my 2 beer.

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whatever color you buy, make sure its hydrostatic drive, and has not one, but two beer holders....cause really, who the hell can mow grass with one beer? I have a 52" deck on my Deere, and only use it for my empty town lot...but I have to hump on it to get done before I drain my 2 beer.

wheres my pm for that 500cc smoker LOL

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Grass Hopper makes a nice z-turn

Sprint5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Deere EZ Trak zero turn mowers. Forget the beer. You'll be done so fast you can drink it in a lawn chair without the grass clippings. Lol.

I have ten acres as well the deere zero turn will get the mod done in under two hours!

Sent from my LT15a using Tapatalk

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I posted this a year or so ago. Spend the extra bucks and get a good quality mower is my advice.

coincidently two years in a row I have problems with my ride on to the point they replaced it last summer after only 17 hrs on it (after a lot of calls and screams :). Used the replacement twice this year and now the cutting deck wont engage and it is in for warranty :realmad:. Unfortunately at the time I could not justify paying $4000 bucks plus to buy a better quality mower and now stuck with the pos Yard Man mower which was $2,200.00. Anyway, to my surprise MTD which manufactures this brand also does so for JD, Craftman, Husq., Toro to name a few. The warranty shop guy said he has been in the business for 25 years and MTD has slowly cornered the market by producing these brands under each owns name.....and they are all getting worse in quality which are built in China using cheap stamp metal and plastic parts. There are about 3 different companies doing the same in N.America. Now that I know this I will definitely spend the bucks for a better quality because each time it goes in 3 weeks goes by. Unquote

Top Bottom