Lawn/Garden Tractor sales and experts

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a lawn/garden tractor to mow a little bit of grass and I say little because it could be done with a push mower but it's enough that I don't want to waste a morning off work mowing and hopefully get a little bit of drive way plowing use out of it.

I do know these things are not a snow plow and I can gauge well enough the equipments limits. I am just looking to push fresh snow falls off the side of the driveway.

The driveway is near 200' of gravel so a snow blower wouldn't be ideal either with gravel. The grass area runs along the driveway then a 100x80' out back. Not huge but again there are many better things I would prefer to be doing.

If I had the cash I would grab a used Deere X360 or other small 300 series like the 320/324 with a electric plow set up. But even 10 year old used ones people want $2500-4500 with just a mower deck. Add another $1000 for the plow, chains and so on.

My preferred and cost friendly option is a lighter duty Husqvarva, not a big box retailer version but still light duty. Plows run about $500-700 for those with an equipped 42-48" mower. I can find those used for cheap, be all set up for $2500 easily. I am not worried about resale on it because it will be well used by the time I sell it.

Anyone have experience with any of these?

Got one you want to sell?

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a lawn/garden tractor to mow a little bit of grass and I say little because it could be done with a push mower but it's enough that I don't want to waste a morning off work mowing and hopefully get a little bit of drive way plowing use out of it.

I do know these things are not a snow plow and I can gauge well enough the equipments limits. I am just looking to push fresh snow falls off the side of the driveway.

The driveway is near 200' of gravel so a snow blower wouldn't be ideal either with gravel. The grass area runs along the driveway then a 100x80' out back. Not huge but again there are many better things I would prefer to be doing.

If I had the cash I would grab a used Deere X360 or other small 300 series like the 320/324 with a electric plow set up. But even 10 year old used ones people want $2500-4500 with just a mower deck. Add another $1000 for the plow, chains and so on.

My preferred and cost friendly option is a lighter duty Husqvarva, not a big box retailer version but still light duty. Plows run about $500-700 for those with an equipped 42-48" mower. I can find those used for cheap, be all set up for $2500 easily. I am not worried about resale on it because it will be well used by the time I sell it.

Anyone have experience with any of these?

Got one you want to sell?

I know your an experienced fella but pushing snow is not easy, especially for a lawnmower. Even 1" on a 6' blade over 200' becomes a pile of snow. Down fall of pushing is needs a place to go after it's done in your yard. I would look for the snowblower attachment if it's really the route you want to go

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I know your an experienced fella but pushing snow is not easy, especially for a lawnmower. Even 1" on a 6' blade over 200' becomes a pile of snow. Down fall of pushing is needs a place to go after it's done in your yard. I would look for the snowblower attachment if it's really the route you want to go

Yes, I would go with the blower hookup too. Some of the blowers have feet on the sides of them, that can be set at different depths. Made for gravel driveways, so your not chucking all your rocks away.

If I had a 200' driveway, I would look at an older 350 or 400cc quad with blade. Or even a little suv with blade.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is 25 feet of basically ditch on either side of the driveway so there is lots of room to harrow the snow away and being this is Alberta it's not as much of an issue compared to other places. Should it be a significant snow fall that's what a guy with a plow truck gets paid for.

I have looked at quads but it becomes more of a specialty tool with one function. I have plowed a lot of driveway with quads and agree it's a better route but just seems to be a waste for there other six months. Now if I lived in BC and could make use of one it would be easier.

I haven't seen the feet on snowblowers work well.

It's more of a compromise. I can spend $500-800 on a quality push mower, find a decent used ride on for $1200-1600 and save myself time and if it moves 2-4" of snow with a blade it's a bonus.

Heck if I could bring home one of the maulers from work and chuck it 250 feet over the house towards Saskatchewan on a windy day I would be set. Really I don't even want to clear the driveway but my truck won't have much of any issue it's the other halfs little SUV I need to have a cleared path for if it does get deep enough.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of little mower tractors on Kijiji....plop some chains on and push a small amount of snow. I don't like snowblowers on gravel....got one. Even with skids set as as high as they go you'll blow gravel all over the place. I use mine to move drifts only now. A quad will push way more snow than a little tractor, but any blade will also push gravel onto your lawn. For first couple of snowfalls, drive truck up and down the driveway to pack snow into gravel.....make sure you pack the edges or you'll be raking gravel off your lawn for hours in the spring.

I tried the "one tractor for everything" approach when I first moved out to the sticks...got a Massey GC2300 diesel with FEL. Used it for cutting grass, light landscaping and pushing snow. Now I use a "real" mower for the grass (about 2x faster), quad for moving snow (about 10x faster), and blower for big drifts. I pull the tractor out when it's a nice winter day just to move snow piles back with the loader. (Plowing with a blade, your driveway gets narrower and narrower)

I'd say your plan is fine. Of course you *really want* a quad...so you should get one anyways...for summer fun, right? lol

Last edited:

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dave. I appreciate all the guys words of wisdom.

I have continued to look for a old quad. Seen a few come up at auctions with plows. Just always going for more than I see the value of them.

A nice little acreage tractor would be great but it's overkill for me. I like to go big or go home but new house and new renos and sled season around the corner it's not going to be much more than a ride on with a blade if I go that route.

Really the grass could be done with a decent push mower. I could opt for a quad for the plowing with the money saved on a ride on. It does provide a better snow clearing option.

Keep them ideas coming. I appreciate it.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
As far as a mower goes....... I bought an Ariens from Home Depot about 6 years ago, thinking around 1300 done. Decent little mower, never let me down, can tow oversized trailer if need. And looking at retro fitting a JD bagger system to it for the spring.

I am very happy with it and have thought about a blade for it, but don't want to kill it......

Another thing...... get to know your neighbors, I have access to 2 skid steers whenever I need and some good trading for my home reno skills when they need. Mostly drinking out front too. lol

toyz

Reaction score
When i wanted the same thing the biggest problem with the little tractors is the hydrostatic tranny. All the new ones will not handle a heavy workout. The older tractors with manual transmission are more than new ones. I ended up with a tractor lawn mower and seperate snow blower. This was for BC though as a small blade does not work there IMO.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As far as a mower goes....... I bought an Ariens from Home Depot about 6 years ago, thinking around 1300 done. Decent little mower, never let me down, can tow oversized trailer if need. And looking at retro fitting a JD bagger system to it for the spring.

I am very happy with it and have thought about a blade for it, but don't want to kill it......

Another thing...... get to know your neighbors, I have access to 2 skid steers whenever I need and some good trading for my home reno skills when they need. Mostly drinking out front too. lol

None of the little ones are designed for ground engaging equipment like blades but they do make them and if you don't try and go overboard and use it lightly I think it has its place.

A bagger system would likely be handy as well.

Really it's just an excuse to down the road to get a nice little acreage tractor. Get the light duty ride on now and kill it. The gf will say I guess we need a bigger one. Lol

I would love to get my hands on an old Iron Horse. Those old gear driven tractors and other heavier hydro driven are great but they rarely come up in decent shape and I don't need another project right now.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
U can get a mower for a quad

If I was mowing big open fields but the turning radius would suck and I would spend more time going back and getting the areas it missed than it would be worth.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
where in the city are ya i have been plowing the cul de sac here with one of my case garden tractors with both a rear blade and front blade works pretty good kept the neighbours happy with a clean cul de sac ... wide range of attachments available for them still and they are not that much money if your patient and you can find a nice tractor for a decent price .... solid tractor that you wont bend when you hit a patch of ice

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the hardware store lawn tractors. I've had a 48" John deer that I purchased from Home Depot 9 years. Paid $1800 new and when it dies I will just buy a new. I mowed a tonne of sticks, rocks, roots, dirt, etc. Bent and broke some things but for the beating it takes each year it works great and I couldn't justify beating a better quality/more expensive mower like I do.

If your drive way is gravel, and you plow snow, you will have rocks in you grass in the spring. For me it is too big of a job to rake them. I buy a new set of blades each year. I just blast the rocks with my old blades for the first few cuts, then toss on new blades after the rocks are mostly gone. Learned to pay attention to where the discharge is pointed from a few "incidents"!

In my opinion plowing the driveway that is 200 feet long would very difficult with a lawn tractor even for small amounts. Even with a quad you need to be be diligent about plowing it extra wide at the start of the year, and plowing it before ruts or drifts set up. Once it sets up, it's there for the season. Probably be plowing the 200' driveway with 100 cross strokes taking half a blade width at a time with a lawn tractor. Blades work good in a long narrow strip if you have the power and traction but it takes a lot of stokes to plow the wide open areas after the snow spills over wrong side.

It hasn't really snowed in Alberta for 2 seasons, but it will!!!!

You seem keen on the tractor idea, if you find a used package that included the plow equipment, give it a shot. I would recommend not investing too much for the snow accessories for a tractor if purchasing separately, as you will likely be upgrading later.

I understand that there is budgets, and wants vs needs etc.

There are "kinda" do most thing machines, But there really is no do everything "well" machine. Switching attachments also burn up time.

Long story short:

Lawn tractor to plow snow will be like taking a trail sled to the mountains. Yes it can be done, and people do it, but depending on the day and the conditions it could turn your life to hell!

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
U can get a mower for a quad

Mower attachments for quads fairly pricy, (maybe more than a cheap mower). quad can't turn like a mower, Most quads rip a little grass when u-turning sharply.

But yes, it is possible.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't believe there is anything wrong with hardware store lawn tractors either. There are good ones and not so good ones though. The transaxle comes in various degrees of performance just like any other piece of equipment. Non serviceable ones are generally not rated as well that's all.

I used to plow 12,000 feet of runway from time to time, also had a 100,000 sq ft parking pad I maintained with a Deere 324J and kept 500 parking stalls clear so I am not new to moving snow.

If I could have a full blown tractor or even an old square body pickup with a 7' plow just sitting around I would. Plowing a gravel driveway with any blade is going to have its downsides, just trying to keep a passable area for when it does snow but having a rural style lot in a small town has its pros and cons lol

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been using a tractor mounted snowblower on my gravel driveway for over 20 years. Currently have a Deere X500 with a 44" snowblower. Works great but my driveway has a good packed base. If you have soft, loose gravel, a layer of washed rock, etc then you might have problems. I drop the skid plates at first and pick up the odd pebble during the 1st few passes in the winter but once a snow layer has been made, I lift them up and the front cutting edge leaves a nice finish. This way whether I am on gravel, grass or concrete, it scrapes to the base.

I considered getting a blade but decided it would not be good with a lawn tractor on snow...unless you have a 4wd. I believe you need traction and speed to make a blade effective in the winter. I do at times, depending on the wind direction, use my snowblower like a snow box blade...but that is only possible with a small accumulation...that box fills up quickly and then traction becomes an issue.

Something else to consider...we don't always get nice fluffy, light snow. When the wind picks up and make the snow hard or in the warmer weather when the snow is heavy, I think a blade on a light lawn tractor would prove useless.

Good luck with your search

Top Bottom