laptops? whats good and prices.

plumbum

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.outlawatvclub.com
hey guys and gals i am in the market for a laptop. not looking at too fancy but dont want to buy a crapper that i have to upgrade in a year. anyay what do ou have, what did you pay, any regrets? i am looking at doing invoices on it, printing(i know i need a printer), interent, wifi, maybe movies. anyway post up your thoughts etc... and if you have one for sale let me know too. thanbks

adam

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I tend to buy most of my office electronics from London Drugs. Great knowledgeable staff and excellent products. Most laptops now a days are really quite amazing and prices have continued to fall. You can get a really decent laptop for less than a $1000. Since most are obsolete within 6 months, there are always good sales. Again, check with LD. Where the costs start to go up are for lightweight/thin portability and gimicky things like cameras. Almost all laptops out there right now will have the capability and power to accomplish what you need, with lots of room to grow.

One thing to note is that many now come with Windows Vista. Lots of poeple have been disatisfied with Vista and went back to Windows XP. There have also been "some" compatability issues between Vista and external components. I personally continue to run XP, even on my new desktop I built. It's stable and easy to use.

Bottom line is pick your budget and then look for the best in that price range. I doubt you will be disappointed by any of the newer laptops....there almost all that good now.

SnowBunny25

Reaction score
We bought our computer from MDG and were really happy with their service and warranty. I think they do laptops too.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Don't forget to have a peek at the apple. My wife needed a new desk top so we decided to try an iMac out and WOW. I think my next lap top will be an apple. Guess it all depends on what all you are wanting to do with it.

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My son just purchsed an ACCER with wide screen and has alot of the bells and whistles. I think he dropped about $ 1,100. dollars for it:confused: At work we purchase the Dell laptops for around the same price and they seem to be performoing quite well.

Billy Boy:cool:

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We did the London Drugs thing, Sony VAIO, Vista. We bought it to run all the company stuff on, well that did not work out so well. Printer , scanner, fax did not like the Vista at all. I sure there are computer nerds out there that can get it to work, but we pulled it all off and went back to our home PC "Dell" which has been great. Vista has allot of neat stuff to it and works great if you are starting from scratch with all compatible equipment, but trying to retro fit,did not work for us. Our $1100 Sony laptop is a paper weight we never use it now. 2 months old

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
All depends on what your going to be running for software, if you use office, you can go to a MAC as Microsoft Office is available for the MAC platform, however, yes, Vista is the operating system pre-loaded on all computers (if you want to change that, PM for my prices). Vista has gotten better with compatibility, service Pack 1 is now out for Vista and is running quite stable.

The biggest thing with vista is old software does not like to play nice with it, I can 99% of the time get the old software to work, but thats also cause I'm a computer nerd, and like to piss around with stuff like that.

My opinion, don't buy an HP, they have lots of hardware issues as of late, Dell's are good for the price, and their warranty is pretty decent. I haven't played with many Acer's but have heard they are pretty decent. Compaq is HP, but could be called HP's retarded little brother, so also has issues. Prices are going to be REALLY good here in a couple weeks once all the back to school sales start, so if you can I'd wait till then

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's funny how people have different experiences with computers. My current laptop is an HP running on Vista 32. I've had zero issues with the laptop and with Vista. My last laptop was a Dell. I will never ever ever buy another Dell. It had many issues and Dell gave me zero support. BLABBER. The one previous to Dell was a Toshiba and it was junk. The 4 previous to that was Compaq and they all had issues.

I did my first PC build (home PC) about 4 months ago. I'm running Vista 64 bit and have had zero issues with it as well as the Vista 32 bit.

Soooo Plumbum. As you can see computers are just like trucks and cars. GM or Ford or Dodge or.......... Good luck with your purchase.

shmole

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As mentioned above....have a good look at the APPLE products. We were sick of crashes and windows issues, so switched over to an iMAC at Christmas....I can honestly say that I don't see ever owning another PC.

Top Bottom