Krazy ice layer in the Norns kootenays bc

KrazyCanadian

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Website
krazycanadian.com
image.jpg Last Monday I took this picture at 6500'. Now it buried bellow 10-15 cms. Maybe more with new storms. Be cautious

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup horrible to ride in. Catches your skis like crazy. Really bad layer of hoar frost on top of ours here on the salmo/creston pass too so avy conditions are gonna get real sketchy with this new snow.

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With the heavy rainfall I think most places are experiencing these type of conditions. Ride safe!

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holy!

Good to know that layer is out there. The trees are looking pretty bare.

stormtrooper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
View attachment 183560Last Monday I took this picture at 6500'. Now it buried bellow 10-15 cms. Maybe more with new storms. Be cautious

Yikes. That's a show stopper. I wouldn't be riding anywhere with this layer buried. Thanks for posting. Great pic. I would be curious if it ever consolidates at all with above layers going forward. Is this prevalent in southern BC?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think that it's not just there that has that bad layer...

It's going to be everywhere , sketchy times are coming

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Saw this phenonem last year at Boulder. Ice was breaking off down hill and sliding on the top all the way to the bottom of the hill. If you shut your sled off you could hear it all the way. Lol. Tore the hell out of my nose prefilter on my XM.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we saw a 1/8" to 1/4" thick layer of ice on frisby on wednesday last week

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This seriously has me thinking of taking the rest of the year off. Whatever doesnt slide right away is just gonna get bigger and bigger.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
And the area is now under an extreme weather warning for a lot of snow!!!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yikes. That's a show stopper. I wouldn't be riding anywhere with this layer buried. Thanks for posting. Great pic. I would be curious if it ever consolidates at all with above layers going forward. Is this prevalent in southern BC?

Yes it is basically. Not to the same effect in all areas but lots got warm weather with some kind of moisture and rain crust. They are way down on snow, only 4 ft in the same area just the other day on the probe, that was about 6,000 ft. Sad. The rain wasn't able to soak in, the snow was so hard it was like riding on cement........like May, not like January. :( Gonna be short season down here I think.

Attachments

• hard.jpg
    hard.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 203

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Another thing we are forgetting about with the low snow conditions, is the trail. With the low snow, the trail is going to melt fast and it will be a long way to the snow line in a lot of places for spring riding.
This year, we haven't even covered all the rocks yet and there is still some places with dirt showing.

Back to the layers.........:noidea:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another thing we are forgetting about with the low snow conditions, is the trail. With the low snow, the trail is going to melt fast and it will be a long way to the snow line in a lot of places for spring riding.
This year, we haven't even covered all the rocks yet and there is still some places with dirt showing.

Back to the layers.........:noidea:

With as little snow that is out there ths year there won;t be much of a spring riding season. Less snow to melt, means less heat reflected to atmosphere and less snowpack to keep it cool. Just compounds itself and goes even faster.

Top Bottom