Keep your guard up, even the small slopes can surprise you

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So again, in the video we all whatched at the start, which av gear was used??

None? But another foot of snow and it would have been used!!!!!!! Could have gone either way

Agreed. Didn't even need more snow. If the sledder had been face down instead of face up, his arm might not have been as readily exposed and although only buried inches deep, the outcome could have been different in another scenario without avy gear. The only thing that might help him in a scenario without avy gear is that the area was very small and he was near the bottom, they would probably feel him if they stepped on him. He's lucky, and yes, it happens just that quick. There are safe areas for sure, but just a reminder that you never know what can happen in a day. Better to be safe than sorry.

finkous

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess its all in what you believe in... Sometimes stuff happens beyond our control no matter what kind of safety gear you have or don't have. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about learning and knowing the dangers in everything whether it be recreational or work situations, but I personally am kinda getting fed up with all the preaching and finger pointing if someone doesn't have all the safety gear on or hasn't taken the courses. A guy can have all the best safety gear on, all the courses, all the knowledge and still get hit by lightening....

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Didn't even need more snow. If the sledder had been face down instead of face up, his arm might not have been as readily exposed and although only buried inches deep, the outcome could have been different in another scenario without avy gear. The only thing that might help him in a scenario without avy gear is that the area was very small and he was near the bottom, they would probably feel him if they stepped on him. He's lucky, and yes, it happens just that quick. There are safe areas for sure, but just a reminder that you never know what can happen in a day. Better to be safe than sorry.

All good points, but let's not 'what if' our selves to death.

The fella that got rolled could have also been stabbed by underlying stumps/branches. The guy that videoed the thing could have been overtakin as well if the slide was a little larger, causing two victims.

Last edited:

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At the end of the day avalanches kill, on average, 10 people a year in western Canada. Ten.

The only way that number will go down, is if people stay home.

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride a ton of terrain like that, never seen any slides like that before. Thanks for posting that.

The crew I ride with rides the same sort of terrain all the time in Western Montana and I've seen a number of slides similar to that. Can't let your guard down at all.

Top Bottom