Kaslo BC Sledding

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey myself and some Grand Forks BC boys are interested in sledding Kaslo BC this season! Is there anyone from Kaslo that we could hook up with, or anyone that will be sledding there this season? I would like to set a trip up with someone. There would be a max of 10 sledders husbands and wives no kids under 18.... Any help would be great thanks in advance :)

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Be sure to travel 30-50 mi North of Kaslo to Meadow Creek/Trout Lake area (50 ft. annual snow fall). Call trout lake hotel for some locals.

Friggin cool! Do you sled out that way?

Mongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I live across the lake from Kaslo but don't sled any more. Here is a website to check out. Riding is out of site and not busy. For the real serious riders. Have fun.

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I live across the lake from Kaslo but don't sled any more. Here is a website to check out. Riding is out of site and not busy. For the real serious riders. Have fun.

Thanks, Yeah I found that site by googling last night, looks good! They don't give much info about rates or rooms but I'll call to find out. Thanks again eh....

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You better know your stuff if you want to ride Meadow Mt. There are some realllllly big areas up there, its not an area for the inexperienced. Not trying to scare, just making sure you guys have all the knowledge you can get before you go there. Here's an avy report from 2003 and I saw this area after it had slid - it was the biggest avy I have ever seen in my life. You simply cannot imagine the size. Snow depth at the bottom was unbelievably deep - total depth was estimated at almost 100 ft in spots. If nothing else, please take this away from my words - please do not underestimate this area. These people are truly lucky, they had someone watching over them that day.

You will maybe be able to pick out some familiar names in this article - Jim Phelan for one.

Date: 2003-05-25
Submitted By: WWAN
Place: Meadow Mountain area about 35 miles north of Kaslo
State: BC
Summary: 14 snowmobilers caught, carried, 5 buried, 3 injured

***MEDIA REPORTS****

Please visit: canada.com – Breaking news‚ Canada‚ World‚ Weather‚ Travel‚ Video & more

'There is no reason why I should be alive'

Avalanche survivor counts blessings that all were spared

Bob Keating

Special to The Province

NELSON -- When the avalanche came roaring down Meadow Mountain, Craig Borash grabbed a tree and rode it like a toboggan.

"There is no reason why I should be alive," Borash said yesterday, fighting back tears. "God wanted me to be with my family."

The 33-year-old West Yellowstone, Mont., man was among 14 extreme snowmobilers -- 12 Americans, two from B.C. -- who were swept away by a massive wall of snow Sunday in the remote backcountry north of Kaslo.

The avalanche snapped trees like twigs and pulverized their snowmobiles.

Miraculously, all 14 survived.

The slide hit just before 5 p.m. Sunday in the Meadow Mountain area in the Selkirk range as the snowmobilers were getting in a few runs before darkness fell.

Two riders were on a ridge high in the alpine. A third was making her ascent.

Without warning, a huge layer of snow up to 20 metres high and nearly a kilometre long sliced away from the ridge and barrelled down the slope.

"I ran for the biggest tree I could find and jumped on to it just as the wall of snow hit," recalled Borash. "It snapped the tree and down we went."

"I just kept bouncing around and went through some other trees with the wall of snow behind me. By some miracle, the biggest wall of snow snow stopped 20 yards behind me.

"I've been on Yellowstone [Park] search and rescue for 10 years and I've witnessed a lot of slides and dug a lot of people out, but I've never seen anything like this."

Borash was buried up to his shoulders in snow so densely packed it took an hour to dig him out.

James Phelan, 33, an optometrist and veteran rider from Helena, Mont., was in a separate party when the snow came cascading down. His machine was running and he tried to out-run the avalanche, dragging a fellow rider behind who hung on to the back for his life.

"I was dragging a man hanging on to my bumper," Phelan said yesterday. "I kept looking back and the snow kept coming. I had no choice but to go off a cliff.

Phelan seriously strained his knee jumping off the cliff, and it took him three hours to crawl back to rest of the riders. He couldn't believe he was still alive.

"It is a miracle of no one was hurt or seriously hurt or killed," he said. "I mean, everyone was involved in this. How no one died I have no idea."

Phelan's wife, 28-year-old Melisse, also survived by hanging on to a tree as the snow spun her like a rag doll. She was buried to her head but could breathe and yell for help.

"I heard people yelling and screaming to get shovels and start looking," she said. "People just ran and dug and did what they had to." She suffered a broken leg.

Although half of the party was buried, only one person was completely covered -- an unidentified teenage girl who is believed to have triggered the avalanche when she began her ascent of the steep slope. She was quickly dug out by her frantic father.

Everyone in the group had beacons and most had shovels, Phelan said.

Some riders started a fire to keep warm, while others located the few snow machines that were not buried or crushed, and sped off to get help.

A Meadow Creek guide and lodge owner, Allan Drury, helped with the rescue and said it was incredible they all came out alive. He said some of the machines were buried in up to 20 metres of snow.

"It was pure luck, first of all," Drury said. "But the slide was so heavy, water saturated, that it floated them up on top. They stayed on top. [The slide] squeezed 'em up."

The Meadow Mountain area, he added, "has been red [the highest avalanche-danger rating] all season . . . they shouldn't have been on it."

Only when the rescued snowmobilers were taken to a back-country cabin did it dawn on them how lucky they were to be alive, said Melisse Phelan.

"We all sat there, said a prayer and cried," she said.

Borash said he doesn't care that his snowmobile was buried by the avalanche.

"I'm never riding it again," he vowed.

This has been the worst season in B.C. history for avalanches. More then two dozen people have killed."

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You better know your stuff if you want to ride Meadow Mt. There are some realllllly big areas up there, its not an area for the inexperienced. Not trying to scare, just making sure you guys have all the knowledge you can get before you go there. Here's an avy report from 2003 and I saw this area after it had slid - it was the biggest avy I have ever seen in my life. You simply cannot imagine the size. Snow depth at the bottom was unbelievably deep - total depth was estimated at almost 100 ft in spots. If nothing else, please take this away from my words - please do not underestimate this area. These people are truly lucky, they had someone watching over them that day.

You will maybe be able to pick out some familiar names in this article - Jim Phelan for one.

Date: 2003-05-25
Submitted By: WWAN
Place: Meadow Mountain area about 35 miles north of Kaslo
State: BC
Summary: 14 snowmobilers caught, carried, 5 buried, 3 injured

***MEDIA REPORTS****

Please visit: canada.com – Breaking news‚ Canada‚ World‚ Weather‚ Travel‚ Video & more

'There is no reason why I should be alive'

Avalanche survivor counts blessings that all were spared

Bob Keating

Special to The Province

NELSON -- When the avalanche came roaring down Meadow Mountain, Craig Borash grabbed a tree and rode it like a toboggan.

"There is no reason why I should be alive," Borash said yesterday, fighting back tears. "God wanted me to be with my family."

The 33-year-old West Yellowstone, Mont., man was among 14 extreme snowmobilers -- 12 Americans, two from B.C. -- who were swept away by a massive wall of snow Sunday in the remote backcountry north of Kaslo.

The avalanche snapped trees like twigs and pulverized their snowmobiles.

Miraculously, all 14 survived.

The slide hit just before 5 p.m. Sunday in the Meadow Mountain area in the Selkirk range as the snowmobilers were getting in a few runs before darkness fell.

Two riders were on a ridge high in the alpine. A third was making her ascent.

Without warning, a huge layer of snow up to 20 metres high and nearly a kilometre long sliced away from the ridge and barrelled down the slope.

"I ran for the biggest tree I could find and jumped on to it just as the wall of snow hit," recalled Borash. "It snapped the tree and down we went."

"I just kept bouncing around and went through some other trees with the wall of snow behind me. By some miracle, the biggest wall of snow snow stopped 20 yards behind me.

"I've been on Yellowstone [Park] search and rescue for 10 years and I've witnessed a lot of slides and dug a lot of people out, but I've never seen anything like this."

Borash was buried up to his shoulders in snow so densely packed it took an hour to dig him out.

James Phelan, 33, an optometrist and veteran rider from Helena, Mont., was in a separate party when the snow came cascading down. His machine was running and he tried to out-run the avalanche, dragging a fellow rider behind who hung on to the back for his life.

"I was dragging a man hanging on to my bumper," Phelan said yesterday. "I kept looking back and the snow kept coming. I had no choice but to go off a cliff.

Phelan seriously strained his knee jumping off the cliff, and it took him three hours to crawl back to rest of the riders. He couldn't believe he was still alive.

"It is a miracle of no one was hurt or seriously hurt or killed," he said. "I mean, everyone was involved in this. How no one died I have no idea."

Phelan's wife, 28-year-old Melisse, also survived by hanging on to a tree as the snow spun her like a rag doll. She was buried to her head but could breathe and yell for help.

"I heard people yelling and screaming to get shovels and start looking," she said. "People just ran and dug and did what they had to." She suffered a broken leg.

Although half of the party was buried, only one person was completely covered -- an unidentified teenage girl who is believed to have triggered the avalanche when she began her ascent of the steep slope. She was quickly dug out by her frantic father.

Everyone in the group had beacons and most had shovels, Phelan said.

Some riders started a fire to keep warm, while others located the few snow machines that were not buried or crushed, and sped off to get help.

A Meadow Creek guide and lodge owner, Allan Drury, helped with the rescue and said it was incredible they all came out alive. He said some of the machines were buried in up to 20 metres of snow.

"It was pure luck, first of all," Drury said. "But the slide was so heavy, water saturated, that it floated them up on top. They stayed on top. [The slide] squeezed 'em up."

The Meadow Mountain area, he added, "has been red [the highest avalanche-danger rating] all season . . . they shouldn't have been on it."

Only when the rescued snowmobilers were taken to a back-country cabin did it dawn on them how lucky they were to be alive, said Melisse Phelan.

"We all sat there, said a prayer and cried," she said.

Borash said he doesn't care that his snowmobile was buried by the avalanche.

"I'm never riding it again," he vowed.

This has been the worst season in B.C. history for avalanches. More then two dozen people have killed."

HERE IS THE MATCHING VIDEO.

KasloHotel

Reaction score
Hey myself and some Grand Forks BC boys are interested in sledding Kaslo BC this season! Is there anyone from Kaslo that we could hook up with, or anyone that will be sledding there this season? I would like to set a trip up with someone. There would be a max of 10 sledders husbands and wives no kids under 18.... Any help would be great thanks in advance :)
Was searching and found your message... from last year I know, but hey thought I would message you anyways.
Kaslo has a great new hotel in town and is minutes from tons of places to ride... and soak after. Ainsworth hotsprings is only 20 min from here, meadow mountain is 35 min drive and the hotel is full service pub and restaurant.
Just something to think about for your next trip ;) Cheers - Leanne

hippiekiller

Reaction score
I have a friend who grew up there that occasionally does guided tours, hes a pretty concious individual, very backcountry savy...pm me for more info..I lived in Kaslo for many years, the terrain kicks a$$....check out blue ridge/empire, this time of year around meadow the catski op gets a little touchy:nono: however a little farther up the lardeau is howser ck which is really good...

Top Bottom