Jackson 2022 Thread

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Keith Curtis is a great hillclimber in this event. He was always 2-3 seconds higher in every event than any one chasing his tail. Pretty easy for Polaris to dominate this event when most sleds racing were Polaris's. About 8 to 1 against other brands. - The cats did well. I would assume that this is more about the rider ability, then machine setup. then machine.

Last edited:

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A hillclimb like this is won by good tuners. Dialed in suspension is a must, and perfect clutching for the constant on off throttle. Stick a good rider on a dialed sled and a fast run is going to happen. A lot of the riders having issues were getting tossed all over the place, their suspension just wasn't set up right.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok, I'm writing this slowly as I know you have trouble reading lol

His second first name would be Curtis.... We understand your name is Chris.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A hillclimb like this is won by good tuners. Dialed in suspension is a must, and perfect clutching for the constant on off throttle. Stick a good rider on a dialed sled and a fast run is going to happen. A lot of the riders having issues were getting tossed all over the place, their suspension just wasn't set up right.
I agree that suspension is key and Curtis has the best tuners in the business that I can see watching the sleds go through the bumps however like I said last year and the year before and the year before that Keith Curtis is in a totally different postal code to all the other riders at this point in time. He is just that good just like Morgan was when he was in snocross. However after years a kid named Tucker Hibbert came on the scene and was equally as good and then Blair was no longer dominate. There are some other riders that are making in roads on Curtis now but need more seasoning. Polaris’s Justin Thomas, Blaine Matthews made great strides this year and the newer guy from Skidoo in Mason Rutledge. At some point Keith will falter like all the greats do and someone else will take the reigns. Like Skidoos dominance right now in snocross, Polaris puts a lot of effort into hill climb and it pays off. We are lucky to see Curtis at his best right now. He has it all going and can’t be touched for now.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

yes and no, while tuning is a big part of it, it takes a great deal of practice to pick proper lines and analyze terrain/obstacles on the fly. The guys that put down the good times are operating ahead of the terrain, their body's are in position to handle the obstacle before they hit it. If something tosses you off you weren't anticipating it quick enough. If you watch the split times, the best times of the day started 4+ seconds faster in the bottom section. Winning Jackson has just as much to do with being fast in the the bottom section as the top section.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree that suspension is key and Curtis has the best tuners in the business that I can see watching the sleds go through the bumps however like I said last year and the year before and the year before that Keith Curtis is in a totally different postal code to all the other riders at this point in time. He is just that good just like Morgan was when he was in snocross. However after years a kid named Tucker Hibbert came on the scene and was equally as good and then Blair was no longer dominate. There are some other riders that are making in roads on Curtis now but need more seasoning. Polaris’s Justin Thomas, Blaine Matthews made great strides this year and the newer guy from Skidoo in Mason Rutledge. At some point Keith will falter like all the greats do and someone else will take the reigns. Like Skidoos dominance right now in snocross, Polaris puts a lot of effort into hill climb and it pays off. We are lucky to see Curtis at his best right now. He has it all going and can’t be touched for now.

if those guys could shave time off in the bottom section like Keith does there would have been some different results to the race that's for sure. Keith is consistent like no other ( he made it up the hill every run) Blaine Mathews has a good shot of being as quick as Keith if he picks up some lower course speed and makes more consistent runs.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another thing I noticed was some sleds in the lower sections sounded tapped out. Geared to low maybe ??? Keiths sled was visibly faster, maybe slightly taller gearing?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another thing I noticed was some sleds in the lower sections sounded tapped out. Geared to low maybe ??? Keiths sled was visibly faster, maybe slightly taller gearing?

ya i noticed that too. It gets to the point where the guys actually adjust the amount of studs on the track to gain top end speed in the bottom sections once the course starts softening up

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
King of Kings !!!!!! Great thread, Caper win's the post of the day with the low snow on the ski hill in the end of April :ROFLMAO: . Think Clode said it best with his post. It was entertaining around page 4 when you skidoo guys had a glimmer of hope lol..... and then back to bashing Polaris. Some day skidoo might get it but not looking like anytime soon. Thanks for coming out to this event BRP your resilience astounds me with the beating you take every year !!!!

Attachments

• kieth.jpg
    kieth.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 72

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It would be awesome to see these sled builds broken down and what parts are used in each class.

What's needed to remain "Stock" vs "improved" and "mod" etc...

1000 class... What motor you runnin? 850 max effort?

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It would be awesome to see these sled builds broken down and what parts are used in each class.

When I did tech for hillclimb/snow drags it was like this.

Stock
Any OEM part could be used for clutching, suspension setup. No engine mods, airbox mods, or exhaust mods. Stock suspension components must be used. (we carried calipers to measure cross shafts etc for diameter discrepancies from a list of OEM part diameters)

Improved Stock
Anything goes with motor mods within cc limits. Any aftermarket clutching permitted. All stock chassis and suspension components.

Mod
Anything goes....he with the most money does well here

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

stock is stock and you can use parts available from the manufacturer....so you could throw freeride shocks and stance on a summit etc... but nothing more, nothing aftermarket.

1000 stock you would run the 850 stock. Most guys just run the same sled they use in 900 stock. The class was created when there was 1000cc twins.

improved you can modify the cylinders, porting etc bore etc... NO TURBOS, aftermarket shocks and clutching allowed

modified is basically no rules total custom builds allowed turbos superchargers etc

RMSHA follows ISR hillclimb rules

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
stock is stock and you can use parts available from the manufacturer....so you could throw freeride shocks and stance on a summit etc... but nothing more, nothing aftermarket.

1000 stock you would run the 850 stock. Most guys just run the same sled they use in 900 stock. The class was created when there was 1000cc twins.

improved you can modify the cylinders, porting etc bore etc... NO TURBOS, aftermarket shocks and clutching allowed

modified is basically no rules total custom builds allowed turbos superchargers etc

RMSHA follows ISR hillclimb rules

I missed this in my post.

fynnigan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Definitely some interesting games being played , by some . one is the rule on the stock class sleds is that are allowed to alter the stock programming in the ecu. Kind of like putting a a tune in a duramax. It probably would be a bitch to enforce a rule that would eliminate that but for the guys riding any brand that don’t have the ability to alter the ecu , it’s pretty tough to get that level of performance. Especially in the turbos.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was almost hung a few times for bumping sleds up classes. Man some guys were creative cheaters lol. I seen full Holz suspension arms color matched to factory to drop weight (caught with the caliper checks, diameter smaller)in stock class. I would watch the races to see if anyone dominated in stock. We caught a guy who was slaying everything in stock 800, he was way out front. We (the other tech inspectors) knew something was up, we pulled the "800" head off and found "900" bore size. He went as far as using 800 cylinders, getting them punched out to 900 and recoated lol.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Definitely some interesting games being played , by some . one is the rule on the stock class sleds is that are allowed to alter the stock programming in the ecu. Kind of like putting a a tune in a duramax. It probably would be a bitch to enforce a rule that would eliminate that but for the guys riding any brand that don’t have the ability to alter the ecu , it’s pretty tough to get that level of performance. Especially in the turbos.
Impossible to enforce. Fuel blending has also always been an issue. Stock is limited to 91 octane. There isn't much HP left on the table for 91 octane but if blended there is definite gains available

Top Bottom