Iron Horse Trail-Elk Point

bubs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a group of 8 of us going to Elk Point to ride the Iron Horse Trail this weekend. Has anyone ridden this area before, any info you can give on the trail...would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Bubs.:beer:

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya its a great family ride, its on an abandoned rail track that is now a nice groomed trail, should be a great weekend for a ride, - lots of room to unload at the staging area in elk point and ride from there to the end and back, there is a little service station around 1/2 way off to the north. with snacks, refreshments and fuel if you need. fairly tame ride. there are a couple of wash outs to be a ware of but they are well marked..

its actually pretty nice cause when you get back to elk point right beside the staging area is a car wash and husky service station so your quads can go home clean and shiney

Have a great ride

T.

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we did it a few years ago..its nice..went east to heinsburg..very senic..you ride along the river for a bit.when you get to heinsburg there is one of the last water towers there that was used to fill up trains..really cool..you can even go into an old cn caboose..pack a lunch and enjoy the day..see ya on the trail:beer:

bubs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Right on Thanks guys. It's my fiancee's first time going quading, so I want to make it as much fun for her as I can so that she'll want to go again. She's not into the mud scene, or anything outdoors really, so this will be a good first ride for her. Like I said before there is 3 other couples going with us so she'll have other women to talk to and stuff, hopefully she has a blast.

Thanks again, Bubs.:beer:

STUKAGAN

Reaction score
Rode from St Paul to Heinsburg and back a couple of years ago. Nice trail, easy ride. Will go back again soon. Nice place to have a snack a few miles east of St Paul by a pond. Take your time and enjoy the ride. I would go in the summer or early fall for the color.

Ava

Reaction score
I hear this is a pretty easy trail - I just got my dirt bike last year, and fell off it, getting badly injured twice. This year, Iron Horse Trail is our first ride, so hopefully I can get over some of the fear!

STUKAGAN

Reaction score
The Iron Horse trail has sectons of heavy, loose gravel, you might want to check it out. Could cause a dirt bike some control problems. Try one of the St Paul qaud/bike dealerships.

bubs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ava, we rode from Heinsberg to St.Paul and I'd say 90 % of the trail between those two spots was really loose gravel. I've rode dirtbikes alot and if I was just starting out that may not be the place to go, but as long as you go slow and ride at your own pace you should be fine.

The fiancee had a good time, a little boring for me as it was like driving on a gravel road, and nothing had greened up yet. We are planning on going again later in the year once everything has greened up and camping somewhere Saturday night and doing a bigger more relaxed trip.

Our group was wondering if there is trail passes that can be purchased somewhere, we were just really impressed with all the work that is obviously put into this trail and its facilities(outhouses,firepits, wood, etc.), and we are using the trail so we would like to contiribute what we can, to help keep this trail going.

Thanks, Bubs.:beer::beer:

STUKAGAN

Reaction score
Bubs,
If you are going on a camping trip on the Trail pm me the weekend you are going. My wife and I might join you if you want company. Thanks.

bubs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bubs,
If you are going on a camping trip on the Trail pm me the weekend you are going. My wife and I might join you if you want company. Thanks.

Ya you bet I'll let you know once we get something planned. I don't think it will be until August as we are getting married the end of July and every weekend is booked till then...work, travel here, work, travel there.

Cheers.:beer::beer:

Top Bottom