Interesting thoughts.........shop Canadian!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
A friend forwarded this email this morning. Something to think about.....

A physics teacher in high school once told the students:
That while one grasshopper on the railroad tracks wouldn't slow a train very much, a billion of them would.
With that thought in mind, read the following, obviously Written by a patriotic Canadian:

Shopping in Lowe's the other day for some reason and just for the fun of it I was looking at the garden hose attachments. They were all made in China. The next day I was in Home Hardware and just for the fun of it I checked the hose attachments there. They were made in Canada!

Start looking...

In our current economic situation, every little thing we buy or do affects someone else - even their job.

A quote from a consumer: “My grandson likes Hershey's candy. I noticed, though, that it is marked made in Mexico now, instead of Smiths Falls, Ontario. I do not buy it any more”.

My favorite toothpaste, Colgate, is made in Mexico now. I have switched to Crest.

You have to read the labels on everything.

This past weekend I was at Wal-Mart. I needed 60W light bulbs. I was in the light bulb aisle, and right next to the GE brand I normally buy was an off-brand labeled, "Everyday Value". I picked up both types of bulbs and compared the stats - they were the same except for the price. The GE bulbs were more money than the Everyday Value brand but the thing that surprised me the most was the fact that GE was made in MEXICO and the Everyday Value brand was made in – get ready for this - Canada at a company in Ontario.

Their Equate Products are also made in Canada, and are very good.

Just to add my own experience on buying Made in Canada, I was looking for canned mushrooms that were made in Canada and could never find any, so I would buy fresh. But recently I found Ravine mushrooms - made in Canada with a little red maple leaf on the can. A little more money but when I opened the can I looked at mushrooms that look like real mushrooms, not a mushroom that looks like it was cleaned in bleach.

Another product I no longer buy is Del Monte or Dole canned fruit. Del Monte is packaged in Taiwan and Dole is now a product of China.

Why should we pay for their fruit when our growers are left with fruit rotting on the trees? E.D. Smith is still made in Canada... buy theirs, at least you will know what is in it and have some quality control.

By the way, all pickles with the Presidents Choice label and the No Name yellow label [Superstore] are made in India. Think about it, water from the Ganges is used... yes THAT Ganges, the one that the people use as a toilet.

So throw out the myth that you cannot find products you use every day that are made right here.

My challenge to you is to start reading the labels when you shop for everyday things and see what you can find that is made In Canada. The job you save may be your own or your neighbor's'! (Your children & grandchildren, also.)

If you accept this challenge, pass it on to others in your address book so we can all start buying Canadian, one light bulb at a time! Stop buying from overseas companies!

(We should have awakened two decades ago.)

Let's get with the program. Help our fellow Canadians keep their jobs and create more jobs here in Canada.

If President Obama insists on a 'Made in America' Policy, which is commendable of him, to support American workers, we should do likewise.

BUY CANADIAN! Read the labels. Support Canadian jobs.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
to add one more thing.......... drop Walmart from your shopping habits!!! Biggest corporate bully on the planet! They sell "cheaper" off the backs of small producers including some here in Canada.

I don't know if this is still a problem, but they don't seem overly concerned about counterfeit product. ...make me especially nerveous to buy any food product from them.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there is a standing order in my house to never buy any food from walmart after watching some of those Chinese documentaries. just listened to a CBC report about pollution levels in China, 70% of their water is unsafe for human consumption but producers are forced to use it anyways.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
still happening and will never change. Being in the food and feed industry I know some horror stories that would make people think twice before stepping foot into their stores. I have personally been burnt indirectly from Walmart (a good colleague of mine entered into a contract with them and forced him into bankruptcy - now he owes me money for separate business).

I don't know if this is still a problem, but they don't seem overly concerned about counterfeit product. ...make me especially nerveous to buy any food product from them.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
there is a standing order in my house to never buy any food from walmart after watching some of those Chinese documentaries. just listened to a CBC report about pollution levels in China, 70% of their water is unsafe for human consumption but producers are forced to use it anyways.

The same in this household. No veggies nor meat ever! I will buy pop (the little of that that we buy), and recognized brand named things like Heinz Ketchup (if it is made in Canada), Orville's popcorn, Twizzler's (made in Canada), etc.. Some brands like Captain HighLliner (mostly China) I will not buy anywhere.

I was surprised at how many things are being made in Canada and competing with the International market. Good information so far and so far no Willy!

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
So Doug when you go to the US to do your grocery shopping you gonna buy more Canadian products? ;)

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
So Doug when you go to the US to do your grocery shopping you gonna buy more Canadian products? ;)

The only groceries we buy in the USofA is butter and cheese. We wonder about the hormonal aspect of each product and don't buy as much as we used to.

Fresh produce has too many restrictions coming across the border, processed groceries (like chips and taco's) are not duty free, and meat is a no brainer. So other than butter and cheese it is all Canadian or like garlic, grown in the USA.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I've decided the same with regards to christmas presents. Gone are the days of dropping a grand at wallmart & bestbuy. We've decided that for our christmas gifts people will be getting gift certificatels to local restaurants, shows & shops. If more people were to do this it would help the local economy thrive, creating more locallized better paying jobs etc.

I get the wallmart argument and am guilty of shopping there more than I should however they do employ a large number of local people, many of whom are mentally challanged clinically or otherwise and they do have a level of community involvment.

Raised and donated $7.6 million to Children's Miracle Network (CMN) to support children's hospitals across Canada.
Contributed $2.9 million to more than 1,000 local non-profit organizations through Walmart's Local Matching Grant program.
Raised and contributed $2.8 million for the Breakfast for Learning Canada program, a school nutrition program and partnership with a goal to ensure all school children attend class well nourished and ready to learn.
Became the top corporate sponsor of the Canadian Red Cross, with $1 million in relief aid related to Hurricane Katrina, the India earthquake and other projects.
Donated $300,000 to Evergreen, a Canadian non-profit environmental organization to help community groups create and improve green space in urban areas across the country.
Awarded $115,000 in scholarships to Canadian university and college students.
Supported 150 Canadian schools through a number of programs including Walmart Canada's Adopt-a School program.

Are they the perfect corporate citizen? no but there are far worse.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've decided the same with regards to christmas presents. Gone are the days of dropping a grand at wallmart & bestbuy. We've decided that for our christmas gifts people will be getting gift certificatels to local restaurants, shows & shops. If more people were to do this it would help the local economy thrive, creating more locallized better paying jobs etc.

I get the wallmart argument and am guilty of shopping there more than I should however they do employ a large number of local people, many of whom are mentally challanged clinically or otherwise and they do have a level of community involvment.

Raised and donated $7.6 million to Children's Miracle Network (CMN) to support children's hospitals across Canada.
Contributed $2.9 million to more than 1,000 local non-profit organizations through Walmart's Local Matching Grant program.
Raised and contributed $2.8 million for the Breakfast for Learning Canada program, a school nutrition program and partnership with a goal to ensure all school children attend class well nourished and ready to learn.
Became the top corporate sponsor of the Canadian Red Cross, with $1 million in relief aid related to Hurricane Katrina, the India earthquake and other projects.
Donated $300,000 to Evergreen, a Canadian non-profit environmental organization to help community groups create and improve green space in urban areas across the country.
Supported 150 Canadian schools through a number of programs including Walmart Canada's Adopt-a School program.

sure they are great amongst the community, but have no problem selling you Chinese whole chickens that I wouldn't feed my dog. the only reason they give that much back to the community is because they make millions selling sub standard goods that they purchase for dirt cheap. it certainly isn't out of the goodness of their hearts or for the benefit of the people.

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Showing Statistics like this always make me laugh, "we raised $$$ for so and so charity" Oh yeah you raised it or did you ask your customers and they raised that money? Also how much of that was in terms of total percentage of profits? I'm more that willing to bet that 99% of the time, its the manufacturers that are eating the cost rather than Walmart. When your local shop, contractor or business does this, generally they are eating into their profit. (that being said even though the local guy wouldnt have raised as much cash as the giant corp, whose donation is "worth more"?) Hence why i always make an effort to buy local, sure you might be paying more but in the end i think its more beneficial to know that my money isnt going straight into some off shore bank account.

Last edited:

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
for every "good" they do there is probably 5 bad. I dont mind sharing this but because of their corporate greed I am out $300 grand. That could have been spent in our local market whether it being a new employee who will spend more money and on and on. What about the seniors in Southern states who had life insurance put on their heads by Walmart and they had no clue about it. When the old door greater died they collected thousands. This company is going to be the evil of our society in years to come.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
for every "good" they do there is probably 5 bad. I dont mind sharing this but because of their corporate greed I am out $300 grand. That could have been spent in our local market whether it being a new employee who will spend more money and on and on. What about the seniors in Southern states who had life insurance put on their heads by Walmart and they had no clue about it. When the old door greater died they collected thousands. This company is going to be the evil of our society in years to come.

I agree, Walmart is pure corporate greed at its finest. I refuse to shop there.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score

As do 1/4 of fortune 500 companies, it's a tax shelter, the money for the policies is loaned to the company from the insurer and then the money is tax exempt when paid back. Listen I'm not propping them up, and it sucks that you were screwed, but others have also been screwed by many other corporations, it's not like they are the devil, do they negatively impact local economies? yes. Do they positively impact local economies? yes...... it's all in your perception and perspective.

If your a moose clear cutting sucks, if your a wolf it kicks azz......

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
defintely buy canadian, your jobs depend on it, and your childrens children also. it is never to late to start. like skidoos, quads, boats cars etc.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WOW lots of different opinions about this thread. I have bought at walmart but have cut back even going there. I can say i hate even going into Walmart. My wife refuses to eat any meat of any kind from there. But we hunt so we eat extremely good meat. The shirts and pants that walmart sells are junk!! But it isn't just walmart that tries to screw their employees ever way possible. Lots of big companies are after the pensions and some have suceeded and got them!!

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I understand you are not propping them so this is simply for discussion sake. Yes it is true other companies did this practice but for a company that hired/targeted "seniors" for putting the life insurance on them is disgusting in my books so they will not get my money again. Like I mentioned earlier, being in the industry you get to see the "dark" side of this retailer and frankly speaking they all have their dirty laundry but as a retailer Walmart beats them all hands down.

There was a documentary called "Is Walmart Good for America". Everyone should watch this show and that will open your eyes. That just scratches the surface. My colleague went storming into their office and the guy that made the contract with him told him they were not going to honour the contract that was in place months before as they found cheaper stuff. His words were "go ahead and sue us but we have lawyers on standby".

As do 1/4 of fortune 500 companies, it's a tax shelter, the money for the policies is loaned to the company from the insurer and then the money is tax exempt when paid back. Listen I'm not propping them up, and it sucks that you were screwed, but others have also been screwed by many other corporations, it's not like they are the devil, do they negatively impact local economies? yes. Do they positively impact local economies? yes...... it's all in your perception and perspective.

If your a moose clear cutting sucks, if your a wolf it kicks azz......

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I find it hard to believe pickles are shipped from India... Prove it, it's your statement.

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like Harper went to school there!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I find it hard to believe pickles are shipped from India... Prove it, it's your statement.

I would find this hard to believe also but I read it and went to the fridge. The jar is gone (like in the garbage!) but I was going to scan it as I noticed this awhile ago and was amazed. I haven't got a picture but I know it to be true (for whatever it is worth).

The pickles were bought at Safeway, BTW.

Top Bottom