Insurance for sleds

xrsrev

Reaction score
I use Primmum for all my insurance! Had absolutely zero problems for the last 6 years! Wawanesa screwed me over as well as drayden insurance in the past. I have had a few claims with Primmum and no issues what so ever! When my sled was stolen i had a cheque cut to me within 3 weeks of them recieving the police report! When my sled was found they phoned and told me where it would be if i wanted to buy it back. Then it was stolen again. LOL. But not an issue with them at all. I have all my house and vehicles insured there for 3000 a year and thats full coverage on everything! Try them out! U wont be disappointed! Just my 2 cents!

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I use Primmum as well. House,cars,sleds. They don't do commercial insurance.My 2006 m7 and 2008 m1000 both sleds fire, theft, liability is $190 a year.Never had any problems with them.
:beer:

Barnes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm with AMA, just picked up my first sled at the end of October. Walked in with a bill of sale and no problems. I think i pay $195 for the year for full coverage (lia, fire, theft and collision) on my 2003 Summit 800.

Although went to go try and put insurance on the Dirt bike i picked up over christmas and no can do.. they wanted me to have my class 6, and wanted to inspect it. Hmm i will post this up in the mud chat.

I have also seen first hand how bad TD can be while making a claim.. My roommate waited 7 weeks to get the wheels that were stolen, back.

sled moron

Reaction score
We used TIG insurance they are very reasonable or State Farm only in Spruce Grove, I wanted to use ours which was TD and same as you the quote was crazy.
they do take single claims as I found many companies want all your vechiles as well.

Oldtrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I asked this same questions of our current broker...no answer yet. He told me they only insure 6 sleds total....he really didn't know much.

Also, if my trailer (sled or RV) disconnects from my truck and hits a vehicle am I covered for liability? He had no idea.

Repped that for representing sledders! thanks for some quality info.

Given your scenario above, if your trailer disconnects and strikes another vehicle, the liability extends from the towing vehicle. ie; car truck etc.
You can be pulling a trailer that is simply registered, no insurance whatsoever. Your choice on that.
Most people are also not aware that the standard SPF1 for auto, sleds etc. also provides the rider with Accident Benefits. As soon as you insure for basic PL/PD, you have these coverages.

Oldtrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi my name is Brad I'm A Insurance Broker

Here is some quick answers

1) need collision coverage on sleds if want coverage for any collision on trailer or on the snow
2) comprehensive is insured perils like fire and theft , vandilism , windstorm etc
3)PLPD is liabilty cover which is usually paired with AB (Accident benefits ) most brokers will add sef 44 which is family protection endorsement to complete plpd only

HERE IS SOME OTHER NEWS

it is very important to disclose to any insurance company if sled ,quads or any recreational vehicle is modified altered or excessive accessories ie )tires chips turbo's etc due to values not being recovered in claims .

This is due to the fact some companies will decline any coverge at all in some claims as non-disclosed to them values and mods

Also Insurance is Risk Management Think about this if rec toys are under your Auto policy is your buddy or underage kids and or friends covered ,most likely not if so they may never cover these items again and most likely loose discount on your AUTO policies .

The best answer is be honest and get the right coverage ,take it from me I lost a leg on a sled ,and have had a few stolen , before i was a owner and an insurance broker and my claims were paid out .

I personally keep all my rec toys off my auto policy on a seperate policy and my friends and underage kids will be covered without any problems ,but the catch is i pay a little more for that security.

Thanks for listening

P.S DARSON INSURANCE IS A SUPPORTING VENDOR ON THIS SITE PLEASE CALL ME IF ANY QUESTIONS AS I DO EVERYTHING

HOME AUTO RECREATIONAL BUSINESS COMMERCIAL TRAVEL INSURANCE

780-452-7272

Just to expand on Brad's points here.
The reason there are issues with coverage on toys, is not so much an out and out denial of coverage, but more so a limitation due to an SEF19 that is added to a policy for quads and sleds.
The first question we are asked when we insure, is "what did you pay", or "what is it worth". You give them the value or a copy of the Bill of Sale and the value is added to your policy and at some point you are asked to sign the SEF 19 endorsement with the stated value.
Then the issue arrises when you go home, put on a can, boondocker or turbo on the unit and then something happens shortly thereafter where it is stolen or totaled.
You paid $15K, added $3G more and the SEF 19 restricts you to $15K recovery.
So the long and short of it is, understand what you are buying and restricted to for recovery.

Ozzy421

Reaction score
I use AMA, they were awesome to deal with a few years ago when my quad got stolen, gave them a copy of the police report and a couple of signatures and they sent cheque for replacement to dealer within 3 days of filig the claim
They were also easy to deal with when a tire seperated on my truck and did over 4000 in damage. They got the tire manufacture to pay the claim out and returned the deductable I paid the body shop for the repairs
$400 for full replacement on $10,000 sled, 100% coverage, (just not covered if it goes swimming)

dschwindt

Reaction score
Just thought I would throw this in here. I just picked up all perils insurance for my 2011 poo assault for 750.00 with 500 Deductible. Recently spoke with Brad from Darsons insurance and was fully informed on which the best route to insure my sled,he explained all my options and informed me that it would be better for me right now to stay with my auto broker company Wawanesa.
They put my sled on a separate policy so if something does happen it will not hike my other insuarnce with it.
Looked around for other quotes and some were up to 2000.00/YR LOL. Brad steered me straight and was a great help on this topic.

Top Bottom