I'll admit it - really all the 2013's are wicked

enis750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was looking for some new HMK boots as mine are like 5 yrs old and need replacing
the Yammi/Cat dealer USED to carry HMK (found out yesterday they dont anymore)
so still on the search for a good deal on some HMK team boots ......

so i started looking at the new Yammi Nytro's and Cat's
Maybe i was living under a rock last yr but never really gave the new cat's a chance
have to admit - from an esthetics stand point .... they look bad a$$
dont know much about them, but id ride one for sure

the prices on the Nytros seem to have come down, no?
I saw a 2012 hold over MTX for like $11,XXX ...... to boot I asked about the MPI 180 kit .. an additional $4300 installed
wow ... 180+ HP Nytro for a tad more than my FR ... thats pretty cool
if i lived w a mountain range in my backyard (like willy ;) ), pretty sure id spend the cash here ... maybe....

and the Pro's, well they speak for themselves .....

so in the end, if you have $12k + to spend on the latest and greatest ... really can't go wrong with any offerings this year
and HONESTLY had me re-thinking my choice this year
but FOR ME - a 165+HP semi-lightweight, strong, proven chassi/engine, 146" track sort of cross over flatland/mountain sled ... the XP FreeRide wins

PS - what I'd like to see - Yamaha to come to the table, dropping 70-110 lbs w a NA 4stroke pushing 165-175HP, on a RE-INVENTED Nytro chassi
with tracks available in the 141-146, 151-154, 159-163 range
I seriously think they would have a market for that sled ... and would sell a sh*t ton of them (personally id be all over it)
I have no brand loyalty, as I have owned all 4 OEM's

call me crazy .....

Last edited:

Staple_STI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^^I couldn't agree more with the first post

Every sled has a unique bad a$$ styling and each person will like a different one a bit more based on opinions. My old man and brother in-law have Yamaha's and the exhaust sound, power and build quality of these sleds are top notch. If they get a mountain sled figured out soon I would be the first to say I will give it a test as brand loyalty means nothing to me as well.

summit1974

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The pros are pretty cool!! I had my Dad thinking i snow checked a poo for the whole summer!! he told me if i did i would have to sleep in the shop!!HAHA funny guy.I think they are going to have issues with the belt drive chain case thing.But if they don't good for them!!!Great idea for sure.Artic cat well not sure they have it figured out yet.and as for yammi i wouldn't bother with those tanks.weight is weight and it takes a lot of effort to look graceful on one of those machines.(turbo,s)i am not stuck on any brand ....I just want the best bang for my buck!!I think for now thats a SKI-DOOOOOOOO

dropitbuster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The longevity of Yamaha motors even with large amounts of boost is amazing. The first time I heard the growl of a piped four stroke Yamaha I nearly came in my bibs. If Yamaha could put their turbo motor in a working light weight mountain chasis I think they could give the other 3 manufacturers a run for their money. I guess their marketing department doesn't really care about the mountain segment of snowmobiling.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yamaha and cat may "look cool" but unfortunately they do not build a mountain sled. I'm sure they are fast in the wheat stubble though.

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I hear it all the time yamaha is not a mountain sled, but it seems to me when the powder is nipple deep, I have more sleds following my trail than riding beside me. And I don't have to rebuild an engine every 2500-4000 km because its a 2stroke. My avatar is proof yamahas are not mountain sleds!!!! JMO

Bisch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I get how everyone has their preferences. It's pretty hard to ride everyone's gear and make a good comparison for how most drive. I have never been sledding in the mountains before (although I'm totally stoked to get out there with my new 2013 XM) and finding good information to make comparisons is hard to come by. I have certainly appreciated all the opinions on this board. Thanks!

enis750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yamaha and cat may "look cool" but unfortunately they do not build a mountain sled. I'm sure they are fast in the wheat stubble though.

so this is a "mountain only" site? hmmm .... coulda fooled me
maybe MOSTLY mountain riders post here, but there is a fair share of us that dont live that close and only get out there a few times/year
and you cant tell me that esthetics has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with what you ride .. your not fooling anyone
might not be the ONLY reason for sure, but it does have some impact

especially coming from a guy that posts his WHITE Oakley sunglases in his sig ..... just sayin

Bingo! We agree what's happening!

...And a flexible track and bendy pivot arm is a purist's mountain machine? :d

easy fella's ... this wasn't meant to be a brand bashing topic .. there's lots of those out there ;)

Last edited:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
maybe MOSTLY mountain riders post here, but there is a fair share of us that dont live that close and only get out there a few times/year
and you cant tell me that esthetics has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with what you ride .. your not fooling anyone

especially coming from a guy that posts his WHITE Oakley sunglases in his sig ..... just sayin

easy fella's ... this wasn't meant to be a brand bashing topic .. there's lots of those out there ;)

It's a factor but not a serious one. I prefer the colors and lines of the pro over the XM but the features aren't tere for me. Them there's the new m series. It doesn't even look good let alone perform. Kind of need one or the other

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
It's a factor but not a serious one. I prefer the colors and lines of the pro over the XM but the features aren't tere for me. Them there's the new m series. It doesn't even look good let alone perform. Kind of need one or the other

That doolaide is some powerful stuff!

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

True enough, there is a pile of those threads out there. To each their own. And you're right, there is a pile of awesome machinery to choose from right now.

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Skidoo and Polaris have raised the bar for the mountian sled without a doubt but you can't forget arctic cat brought the m1100 turbo to the table for the guys that like making big power out of a 4 stroke. It will give the nytro some competiton in the hills. The m1100 turbo will make big power with less expensive mods than the nytro. So there is something for everyone out there. Some people like to play in the trees, others like the big power point and shoot sleds. For me I'll be on my outdated sled another season, then next season i'll have a big decison ahead of me.

Top Bottom