If you ride in BC please take this survey!

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Done. Just curious, what is everyone willing to pay for a province wide membership?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
man that's a loaded question it comes down on how many different areas you ride how often you go and what the intent and underlying purpose of the data is. I did complete it though. If this is only one avenue to present this survey it may not meet a large enough audience .

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Done. Just curious, what is everyone willing to pay for a province wide membership?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I said about $100 more than I currently pay for a one club membership as with what I pay elsewhere in trail passes it pretty much washes out then.

NytroNorm

Reaction score
Done. Bought my Wyoming annual trail pass for 35 usd. So 50 bucks. Yes I know there are many other factors and its expensive to operate a groomer...... but they groom a ton of miles of trail down there too.

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
Done. Bought my Wyoming annual trail pass for 35 usd. So 50 bucks. Yes I know there are many other factors and its expensive to operate a groomer...... but they groom a ton of miles of trail down there too.
yes i have used this as an example, however way more people and everyone pays, you have to! here we still have lots of riders not paying and they live in remote areas so of course they don't want to pay anything, this has to change as well and then the number will be lower.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes i have used this as an example, however way more people and everyone pays, you have to! here we still have lots of riders not paying and they live in remote areas so of course they don't want to pay anything, this has to change as well and then the number will be lower.
The locals I know that don't pay aren't usually taking groomed trails either. They take their back trails that only the locals know about and rarely if ever set foot in a cabin that they themselves don't maintain. Can't say everyone does this but these are the folks I know. Why should they have to pay just to use an area they have been riding for decades?

However those using anything that gets supported or maintained by a club then I agree, they need to support them financially.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The US does something different from Canada though. The clubs get financial support from the government which drives the cost way down. They understand the social importance of backcountry sports and therefore help support it. Something Canada needs to start doing IMO. We pay enough taxes already. Time to get something back for it we can enjoy.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
The locals I know that don't pay aren't usually taking groomed trails either. They take their back trails that only the locals know about and rarely if ever set foot in a cabin that they themselves don't maintain. Can't say everyone does this but these are the folks I know. Why should they have to pay just to use an area they have been riding for decades?

However those using anything that gets supported or maintained by a club then I agree, they need to support them financially.

the club also fights to keep those area's that they are riding in opened, whether they used the maintained portions or not.......

geo

Reaction score

I agree and would like to add, be careful here. Strength in numbers if you are part of the group but,,,.

Not everyone likes the groomed scene so we don't participate. Ya we've lived beside the mountain since forever but that shouldn't be used against us.

It's a big province. Don't let them make it smaller if you do like the groomed scene. There are many outside-the-sport factions today who will jump on the opportunity to slot sledder's into one controlled group. Some are even the club executive thinking you are doing right from a narrow point of view of revenue.

You're not.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I have completed it. Pretty mickey mouse questions IMO.

How much do you pay for memberships? There are memberships that are available for $30 to $200+ and maybe more. I would not buy a PP as it would be cheaper for me to buy daily trail passes when I go somewhere. I can ride 8 days at $25/day for $200. The PP is not going to be that cheap and if it is there will be some of the larger clubs suffering.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes big clubs will suffer no matter what bcfs does, unless they leave it alone

sent while drinking tea's

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
I agree and would like to add, be careful here. Strength in numbers if you are part of the group but,,,.

Not everyone likes the groomed scene so we don't participate. Ya we've lived beside the mountain since forever but that shouldn't be used against us.

It's a big province. Don't let them make it smaller if you do like the groomed scene. There are many outside-the-sport factions today who will jump on the opportunity to slot sledder's into one controlled group. Some are even the club executive thinking you are doing right from a narrow point of view of revenue.

You're not.

Personally I think that you should have to have a decal, like along with registration, if your found without one, you get a huge fine, this way every sledder will have to have one, it collects money for the BCSF who does a huge amount of work for sledding in the province. it might not always help a guy out personally but it is generally for the greater good. I know lots of people have disagreed with differences along the way. I have raced at over 10 different sports at a high level and it is the same in every sport so it is not something special to snowmobiling. This is not about one thing, groomed trails, etc. It is about putting our snowmobile body in the best position to do the work many of us don't do and don't want to do. Yes some clubs will lose money in collecting fees but that energy will go into other exciting ways to generate cash and bigger clubs will have it easier to do so. We all have an opinion however I try to ask myself what would be best for the majority, that may not be exactly what i want but it will make things go easier. Thanks to all that have done the survey, regardless of what you think of the survey, it is not mine, thanks for participating, I am nearly the messenger to help get more people to take it. Sp thanks for taking the time to do so, every little bit we all do gets us a little closer to happiness! Cheers dave

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
Yes big clubs will suffer no matter what bcfs does, unless they leave it alone

Then the small club suffer....and the already have been, we see this in whistler, Brandywine is the biggest and brings in a lot of money, they deserve every penny they have as it is off the hard work of nelson and many others, however we are a province not little areas, working together is much better, now they could do something like a person could choose where a portion goes and that would give the users a choice on where they would like to see their portion go, so really some would say smaller clubs, others would say bigger clubs, but if everyone who rode a snowmobile contributed it would be a way larger pie to draw from, there are a lot of riders in the province who don't contribute at all and that sucks!

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Then the small club suffer....and the already have been, we see this in whistler, Brandywine is the biggest and brings in a lot of money, they deserve every penny they have as it is off the hard work of nelson and many others, however we are a province not little areas, working together is much better, now they could do something like a person could choose where a portion goes and that would give the users a choice on where they would like to see their portion go, so really some would say smaller clubs, others would say bigger clubs, but if everyone who rode a snowmobile contributed it would be a way larger pie to draw from, there are a lot of riders in the province who don't contribute at all and that sucks!
But every penny gained is spent pretty much ( in sicamous, revy is a different story) and take 10 % of that away and no more club

Lots of small clubs, want to stay small because they don't have the help ect to do what's needed

So now they get a big kick back and have to buy help

That makes total sense Dave, sounds like the ndp government ideas

Come on Dave, you can blabb all ya want about the new doo bla bla bla

But don't blabb your thoughts on the bcsf newest scam please, cause ya know the saying about opinions

Last edited:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Done, thanks Dave.
I checked my membership cost and trail pass cost last season...$800.00 for me and the wife.

I think there would be a few that would give up sledding and not by choice at that rate. But then there are other's that never have gone further then there comfort zone and never venture beyond there nieghborhood and $20.00 is too much LOL

Also in the same token other are stuck in old way's, scared of change and mostly lacking understanding of being open minded of improvements.

Last edited:

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think we should really think this over and how it would effect the small BC clubs and the distribution of funds. Clubs cover their operating cost through membership sale and trail passes and in most cases in BC this is not a direct relation to surrounding population. For example if everyone who rides in BC, regardless of where they are from, buys a provincial pass there is no guarantee that the funds will be allocated to one club, thus hurting the smaller clubs. McBride is one of the smallest towns with the largest sales in yearly memberships, someone on here can probably provide the exact numbers, and a high number trail passes sold. If smaller clubs like ours who rely on every membership we get to operate are forced to move funds to more populated area's like squamish or Kelowna to help with their cost it would cripple the club. Smithers area has the largest club area in the province with the fewest members and every penny counts. Yes sure on the flip side the higher revenue areas should provide "subsistence" to us smaller clubs, but where is the guarantee on how the funds will be allocated fairly. Not just to support the masses once again in Vancouver

Top Bottom