Icefields parkway winter traveling

Jordan1924

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Looks like i will be traveling the parkway quite a bit this winter for heading to work and back.
Just wondering if anyone knows if there is an emergency channel for a road radio or if there is any way of communicating in case of emergency
I know a sat phone is always an option just looking for alternatives
Any input is appreciated
Thanks

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I haven't seen a radio channel on the road there. But probably Ladd 1 or some channel would pick up something like a snow plow . (If they run VHF) Next best is on star if you have a GM vehicle

Sent from my phone

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used the ice field parkway lots about 10-12 years ago and thankfully no issues although it can get pretty hairy sometimes. Not too much truck traffic so the radio is fairly quite and the plows use there own channel or maybe just don't answer. I do know I of a few good spots I always wanted to unload and go for a ride. Wonder what the fine is?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used the ice field parkway lots about 10-12 years ago and thankfully no issues although it can get pretty hairy sometimes. Not too much truck traffic so the radio is fairly quite and the plows use there own channel or maybe just don't answer. I do know I of a few good spots I always wanted to unload and go for a ride. Wonder what the fine is?

The meadows at bow summit still call my name.

Even if they opened it 2 weeks a year would be awsome.

sent while I should be drinking twisted teas

Vipertonytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Correct me if Im wrong but On-star isn't a satellite phone. If there is no phone service it doesn't work. Had a lot of guys tell me it is but when you travel with them with no phone service it doesn't work!!
I haven't seen a radio channel on the road there. But probably Ladd 1 or some channel would pick up something like a snow plow . (If they run VHF) Next best is on star if you have a GM vehicle

Sent from my phone

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Correct me if Im wrong but On-star isn't a satellite phone. If there is no phone service it doesn't work. Had a lot of guys tell me it is but when you travel with them with no phone service it doesn't work!!

Ya your right it's not a sat phone. But you have someone if you break down or have a emergency by pushing the blue or red button. Those buttons work when there's no service what's so ever
The phone feature is garbage when I try it It's cuts out even in Airdrie here

Sent from my phone

Vipertonytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good to know, I never realized that!
Ya your right it's not a sat phone. But you have someone if you break down or have a emergency by pushing the blue or red button. Those buttons work when there's no service what's so ever
The phone feature is garbage when I try it It's cuts out even in Airdrie here

Sent from my phone

Top Bottom