I think that Snowbiking is here to stay.......

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got back from a 3 day ride early April on a Timbersled on a pooched-out 2005 KTM450.

Most fun I have had riding in the last 3 years...... I must admit - I was wondering what was going on when I was seeing all of these older guys out on them this last year in the Vernon\Sicamous area. At the end of three days I still felt good. The two days I spent on my sled tree riding nearly killed me. I am still recovering.

So - all my sleds except the turbo Pro have been sold (thanks Kijiji). Gonna build two for next fall - and bonus I get 2 new toys to play with over the summer!

I don't think that they are going to replace a sled on those deep pow days, but they open up so much more terrain to a guy with average abilities. I am not bad tree riding with the coaching I have had from Burandt - but these things are on another level. I spent an entire day within 10km of Silver Star resort making a big circle from the Provincial Park. I had to drive 3 minutes from my place. Couldn't do that on a sled because of the tight trees. At Hunters I did not even make the cabin and I was out for the entire day. I am looking forward to Trying out Big White even. Imagine staying up there, not having to trailer in the am , and being able to access some pretty decent riding on these things!

The more I think about it - the time I got enthused about snowmobiling is when the Rev chassis came out. Why - cause it felt more like a dirtbike than a trail sled! I guess this is maybe the next evolution.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've looking at them a lot closer as well. I wonder how a decent dual sport would work like at Husky TE or KTM 690 would work. Winter and summer fun in one unit and road legal.

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heavy. I thought that the 450 were a little to heavy for the application. I am going to do a turbo 450 next year - The 450 is alright but needed a little extra. Easier than big bores, etc.

I am going to go the other way and the second is going to be a KTM 300 2 stroke. I rode a YZ250 for about 5 minutes with a kit. That was FUN.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So the 2 stroke did well? I wasn't sure if it would or not. I just don't see them out there. Just sold a 250 xcw that had some good jam.

CamoKVF700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
u3a2ynet.jpg

I'm in. ... and not going back.

Sent while wishing I was on my snowbike

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Woodsman. Just ordered one. And talked at length to the guru down in Kallispell - Randy Siemans. I had a cast smartcarbs on order since last October. Still haven't got it. Have changed over to the billet - should be here next week. LOL. There is a huge thread under KTM talk about them. For snow biking - appears that for the 2 strokes carb icing is the issue if it's cold and pow. Randy is fabricating a heated carb jacket for them. That should solve the prob.

We never said it was easy, just that it looked cool.

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
agree with ya barefoot. after one day. it was the most fun ive had in yrs. im in for next yr to

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Woodsman. Just ordered one. And talked at length to the guru down in Kallispell - Randy Siemans. I had a cast smartcarbs on order since last October. Still haven't got it. Have changed over to the billet - should be here next week. LOL. There is a huge thread under KTM talk about them. For snow biking - appears that for the 2 strokes carb icing is the issue if it's cold and pow. Randy is fabricating a heated carb jacket for them. That should solve the prob.

We never said it was easy, just that it looked cool.

cool input thanks... do you know what a guy would expect for engine life outta a big thumper? IS the kit hard on them? Having never seen one in person just looks like your bike would need to be riden really hard??????

Thanks

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From what I've seen of the snowhawks they are powerful doo 800ho. But the motor is to forward and too high making them very unstable and nose heavy. Watched someone pull one out of an enclosed trailer once it took 3 guys to keep it from tipping over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

Reaction score
Its pretty sweet.

I gots a kx500AF

Once the brain is engaged, the issues are not hard to sort out.

CamoKVF700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Snow Hawks don't even compare to the agility and fun in the trees to these. Snow Hawks pretty much suck compared to in every situation except for power. But they still fall short unless you're in the open.

Sent while wishing I was on my snowbike

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think I know why the snow bike caught on more than the snow hawk. I went on their website and the prices start at $16k. I built one on their website fully optioned out at it came to $31k! Snow bike just seems like a cheaper option and I assume you can pull the kit off in the summer and put tires back underneath it for more fun.

Throttle-Junkie

Reaction score
How do you figure?

snohawk is a purpose built bike, not a retrofit... And makes more power than a turbo bike

Snohawk rides like a living room couch.
Once you ride both you will see there is no comparison to a snowbike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom