I got approached by a Ft. Mac' evacuee' today.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2 men, dressed quite averagely.. he had an own/red carhardt sweater, approached me today at the RONA on Calgary Trail and Whitemud.

He asked me where I was from, then started telling me that he wasn't a bum asking for a handout then he started talking about him having to pack up his stuff and head out. He showed me a wad of cash and said that this was all he had, and the shirt on his back, the other fellow stood about 20 feet away and didn't even look this way.

He went on that his 1.5 million dollar house was destroyed, and he is left with nothing, He had his new truck but it got towed because it was illegally parked outside his hotel. He said he had to cash in 60,000 in RSP's only to have 39000 cash or something like that. The story was weird.

At first I thought Wow this guy is hard up, but when he went on and on about losing everything... I asked him what he needed.... I said, "do you need a ride or something?" he just said no. But he needs help because his life was in turmoil.

So I told him that I couldn't help him, he got kind of mad and said that I didn't understand. I asked him if he registered with the RED CROSS to get help, he said yes he has but he still needs more. Then he asked me if I was the red cross..... WTF...

After listening to him for what seemed like 5 minutes, I said sorry man, can't help you. He and his friend just mumbled and went off on their own.

For a guy who said he had a 1.5 million dollar house and a new truck, he sure wasn't convincing me...
It's a crying shame that people are now using the trajedy like up in Fort Mac to try to fool people in giving them money.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Should've asked for ID....see if they produce a Ft Mac driver's licence or some other ID

Yes, there are scumbags everywhere and this may be the next scam on unsuspecting persons

Reactions: RXN

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sadly this will happen a lot in the next few weeks and they will make a ton of cash doing it.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would of asked him for a loan as I explained to him that I'm a poor dirt farmer that survived the dirty 30's. My tractor got blown away in a dust storm in 1932.

Wife ran away with 6 pack of beer and best friend. Would like to find that beer, sure miss my best friend !!!

tiger666

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This tragedy will give lots of scumbags the opportunity to take advantage if they can.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the same idiot who approached me 3 weeks ago when I was in Edmonton, I was staying at the 4 Points Sheraton just off Ellerslie, head out to my pickup in the morning, guy comes up to me, give me a cock and bull story about how he was in town for his 7 days off from Fort Mac, his pickup got towed because he was illegally parked outside of the hotel, he lost his wallet and needed a few bucks or whatever I could spare.

I handed him a Timmies muffin that was sitting there from the trip up the day before told him to use the Iphone which was very visible sticking out of his pocket to call somebody he knew. He told me to go F*** myself.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats the thing.......I dont mean to be unsympathetic, but for the money that people make up there there is no reason to be asking for handouts. Getting immediate needs met like food water and fuel to evacuate, absolutely yes. But if youve lived in the center of unprecedented economic prosperity and you dont have a little bit in the bank to carry you through something like this.......why should people give you their hard earned money? There is a difference between being generous and being taken advantage of.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats the thing.......I dont mean to be unsympathetic, but for the money that people make up there there is no reason to be asking for handouts. Getting immediate needs met like food water and fuel to evacuate, absolutely yes. But if youve lived in the center of unprecedented economic prosperity and you dont have a little bit in the bank to carry you through something like this.......why should people give you their hard earned money? There is a difference between being generous and being taken advantage of.

Frankly I felt he was nothing more than a career bum, that day his story was days off from Fort Mac, now his story is ramped up because of the fires. There are always those who are to lazy to work and would rather work the latest scam.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That's really not a fair statement.....it may be true for some of those getting relief but to paint a broad stroke stating that everyone living in Ft Mac, or as you stated living in the center of economic prosperity, has a job and is living the good life may not be true. The down turn in the economy has effected many, many people not just in Ft Mac but all through the industry and spinoff companies that serve that industry. Just because they live in McMurray doesn't mean they are gainfully employed....some are but many are not.

Again, maybe some are there getting free stuff who shouldn't be....I don't know.....but your comment is grossly unfair because there are many.... literally thousands who lost everything.....EVERYTHING!

I have faith that most people have a conscience and do not hang out at refugee centres getting used clothing when they really don't need it.....and it must be a real humbling experience for some that were making big bucks a few months ago and now forced to rummage through used clothes and shoes to get through the next few weeks. Its better if we don't judge because any one of us can be in the same situation if tragedy strikes.

Last edited:

buckie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya pretty sad that people are taking advantage of the situation, was volunteering at the EERS pickup at the target store in Edmonton and had an Islamic family (doesn't matter I know) from Fort Mac take our blank registration paper and photocopied it 5 or 6 times then proceeded to get in the shopping line and take more goods, I never saw what was happening until I took over the door checks, so I had him removed and warned the other pickup sites of him and his family....pretty rediculous considering they were driving a $100k suv just makes me sick to my stomach

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Top Bottom