Husky DieselMax

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have never filled the truck with Husky ULSD DieselMax till a recent trip back from BC. Stopped at the station in Little Fort (nice station). Was very surprised how well the truck ran, right from the first few moments of leaving the station. Swear mileage improved too.

Did a little internet research and found out they have some pretty decent specifications for their DieselMax product. "Max" additive is a high lubricity formula and apparently eliminates the need for any further fuel additives. Along with the B5 component the "Max" additive lowers the wear scar rating to a very low point considered excellent or undetectable. DieselMax exceeds Canadian standards with an HFRR of 297um and Cetane between 42-45. ULSD Standard for HFRR wear scar is 460um and standard for Cetane 40.

Looks pretty impressive on paper. Seat of the pants meter says the one tank was real good.

Anyone else have this experience with Husky ULSD DieselMax?

Filled up at a Husky here in town today and will see how it goes on my highway drive tomorrow.

Some have theorized that Husky caters to the truck crowd (all their highway locations) and puts more focus into their diesel products than the other producers.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I fill up with Husky diesel, and I get good mileage as well. I have never had an issue, with their fuel.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Husky in Spruce Grove has had the best priced diesel the last few times I've had to fuel up. Mileage has been good from it as well, plus mom likes it when I swipe my AMA card there and help knock down the annual family membership fee's.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Husky in Spruce Grove has had the best priced diesel the last few times I've had to fuel up. Mileage has been good from it as well, plus mom likes it when I swipe my AMA card there and help knock down the annual family membership fee's.
Ohhhhh...... Husky Rewards card, the points add up, and it doesn't take long. But when you pay at the pump, it will ask you if you want 10 bucks off of your purchase? If you keep saying no, eventually you get a free tank of fuel. As the $ figure keeps going up.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Ohhhhh...... Husky Rewards card, the points add up, and it doesn't take long. But when you pay at the pump, it will ask you if you want 10 bucks off of your purchase? If you keep saying no, eventually you get a free tank of fuel. As the $ figure keeps going up.

That works too yes, but its also good to have mother happy!

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Funny, I noticed that too but just figured it was my imagination. As a rule of thumb, I've avoided Husy in favor of Esso or Petro because I was concerned about Husky fuel containing higher amounts of bio diesel.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use shell for it all, or co-op just for vehicles

As said, shell premium has no ethanol.... Won't condone a place that thinks it's cool

Big rewards back with coop here

Only 2 months of membership and not much spent, got close to 100 bucks back

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have seen the dieselMax but didn't do any research, figured it was all BS to get more money out of a guy. My 1st gen got terrible mileage on Husky and Flying J diesel but my 2nd gen doesn't seem to mind Husky diesel, usually get best mileage on Esso though. All we have locally is Shell and it does alright on that.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
DieselMax used to cost more but Husky now sells it for the same cost as other places.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The best Economy I ever got was with Shell V-power from Canmore in my duramax, but don't get the same effect with it up north. My 6.7PSD gets the best economy on No-Frills diesel as it regens less often.

I would like to try Husky diesel but I'm sure its the oldest station in town, I can only imagine how much crud has built up in the storage tanks over the last 20+ years.

Rockwerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Diesel out of the tar sands does not seem to perform near as well as diesel that is refined out of pure crude oil. This is one main reason why some tanks of fuel net you a lot better fuel economy.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Diesel out of the tar sands does not seem to perform near as well as diesel that is refined out of pure crude oil. This is one main reason why some tanks of fuel net you a lot better fuel economy.

Really? Are you guessing or know this? Not to argue would just like to know the logic behind this?

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a note, I "know" husky people at a location that they produce diesel. Diesel is very important to them as it is a huge money maker and they pump out a lot. By law they are required to have 5% biodiesel per volume for the year (might be more now). They cannot add biodiesel In The winter (gelling) so it all gets added in the summer (so could be 10-15%). All diesel suppliers do this in the cold climate areas. We don't have diesel max around here so I cannot comment on that. Saying that, I don't use husky fuels. Not a fan of ethanol. Shell premium gas and cheapest diesel I can find, then again I run an old 12valve that will burn anything lol.

I noticed bc husky stations have different fuels than other areas of Canada (diesel max and husky purple). I can only assume that these fuels come from the Prince George refinery and are formulated specifically for bc requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would like to try Husky diesel but I'm sure its the oldest station in town, I can only imagine how much crud has built up in the storage tanks over the last 20+ years.

Not meaning to derail the thread but this gets my attention. I never fill at a station that is receiving or has just received a new shipment of fuel - I'm scared that all the crap gets stirred up and may get into my tank.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tried the Diesel Max many times hoping the extra cost would give extra economy but my 10 Dodge did not know the difference.

Rockwerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really? Are you guessing or know this? Not to argue would just like to know the logic behind this?

I document all of my fuel use so I know from tank to tank exactly what my vehicles burn. I also haul the same weights on the same runs. When I get fuel that comes from refinerys Saskatchewan the trucks always go further between fill ups. If you do a little research you will find out that the tar sand diesel fuel does not have as much energy in it that crude oil diesel has. If you talk to truckers that travel a lot they will tell you the same thing. Some farmers that I know who burn a lot of fuel get their fuel trucked in from Saskatchewan because it is better fuel.

The old high sulfer diesel fuel gave me the best fuel economy in all of my diesel units. When I was in the states traveling a few years ago I got the odd tank of this and we got better than 40% more mileage per tank. Even without the sulpher you can tell good fuel from poor fuel.

Most people do not document their fuel use and quote the "lie meter" on many forums. You have to start a fuel log book to know exactly what is going on. Then after many tanks of fuel you can actually see any changes in fuel economy.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I document all of my fuel use so I know from tank to tank exactly what my vehicles burn. I also haul the same weights on the same runs. When I get fuel that comes from refinerys Saskatchewan the trucks always go further between fill ups. If you do a little research you will find out that the tar sand diesel fuel does not have as much energy in it that crude oil diesel has. If you talk to truckers that travel a lot they will tell you the same thing. Some farmers that I know who burn a lot of fuel get their fuel trucked in from Saskatchewan because it is better fuel.

The old high sulfer diesel fuel gave me the best fuel economy in all of my diesel units. When I was in the states traveling a few years ago I got the odd tank of this and we got better than 40% more mileage per tank. Even without the sulpher you can tell good fuel from poor fuel.

Most people do not document their fuel use and quote the "lie meter" on many forums. You have to start a fuel log book to know exactly what is going on. Then after many tanks of fuel you can actually see any changes in fuel economy.

you are absolutely correct in stating that you need to keep a fuel log to know exactly what your fuel consumption is. But that being said I challenge you to tell me what fuel is being delivered to the service stations.

Top Bottom