Hunting season is here!

Hoehand79

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whose with me? What are you hunting and what are you shooting with? And most importantly where is the game at???

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
White tail for me this year. And the odd grouse. If I get time I might head up and see if I can’t find an elk.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
if I go, whitetail and chickens, will have to see what happens with the move in October.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What ever crosses the farms.........................

Actually have a cow moose, general elk and white tail tags.

Hoehand79

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I almost had a nice 6×6 elk last weekend but I missed ...going to see if I can find a swamp donkey this weekend!

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is going to sound stupid I am sure to most or all of you seasoned hunters... but I gotta ask. How does a guy go about learning all of the ins and outs of hunting if he was never raised around it? I have no family or true friends that hunt but I am very interested in it. I have acquired my pal and have also started building my gun collection with the hopes of one day being able to harvest my own meat. I was just looking at some decent rifles last night chambered in 7mm Rem mag and there are some decently priced arms that seem like they would be able to harvest all that I would need, but I would still have no idea where or how to even get started. Is there any information any of you vets can share with me?

thank you all in advance, and sorry for hijacking the thread.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is going to sound stupid I am sure to most or all of you seasoned hunters... but I gotta ask. How does a guy go about learning all of the ins and outs of hunting if he was never raised around it? I have no family or true friends that hunt but I am very interested in it. I have acquired my pal and have also started building my gun collection with the hopes of one day being able to harvest my own meat. I was just looking at some decent rifles last night chambered in 7mm Rem mag and there are some decently priced arms that seem like they would be able to harvest all that I would need, but I would still have no idea where or how to even get started. Is there any information any of you vets can share with me?

Did you take the hunter safety course portion of the PAL?

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My family is headed out for Cow and Bull Elk, White tail and some grouse.
Its going to be a great week!

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there was no option for a hunters safety course when I took my pal and rpal. I ended up doing my course in a reputable gunsmiths basement (classroom) and all that was offered was pal or rpal. I opted for the rpal as well as I also had interests in handguns.

Did you take the hunter safety course portion of the PAL?

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
there was no option for a hunters safety course when I took my pal and rpal. I ended up doing my course in a reputable gunsmiths basement (classroom) and all that was offered was pal or rpal. I opted for the rpal as well as I also had interests in handguns.

You will have to do the AHEIA hunters education course now too.

Hoehand79

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

There is regs online probably for your area ...i always quiz up conservation officer's on particular s and i even stump them but you definitely want to learn about the safety stuff or you can get yourself into some hot water with the fish an feather s...

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

This might sound odd but try this.
Archery shops carry a lot of videos, rent some that are put out by product manufacturers as they will be spending some time on how to use their products.
Google "how to hunt" each species be it big game or fowl.
It's how i learned to hunt/call geese with decoys and I whack dozens every year now, first year I sucked - one goose.
Then you need to hunt with some one that knows what they are doing to shorten the learning cuvee or go it alone and learn by trial and error.
Safety first just like sledding - what you take along depends on how far into the bush you go, just like sledding a lot of the same gear except for the avy stuff.
Serious game and you always want to come back home...just like sledding again.
Star slow and I suggest documenting what you do, if nothing else it good reading for your grandkids one day

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Good question

what you need to do is find a hunting partner, make sure who you chose is safe and has all the training. Go out on a little excursion and build on it from there. Read the regulation so you know if your partner is on track or not. Make your own decision from there. After you do your hunters training you will know alot more. Alberta sportsman is a good forum for hunting, have met a couple through there

good luck

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been out twice already, looking for a moose to poke with a pointy stick. Almost time for the real hunting season though, tomorrow is the day. Took a poke at a grey wolf a couple days ago from 250 but missed, dammit. And then 4 of them followed us out on foot for about 6km after that. No draws this year so just gonna be looking for a whitetail buck and a bull elk

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info fellas!

Like said take the hunters training course. You can do it online. Then just go out on some crown land and spend some time. Learn when and where they come out. And be patient! Sitting near game trails get good results. But 15min sitting in the Bush seems like and hour lol.

Rbrduk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Go online, check YouTube. Some good vids on calling and strategies.
If getting into elk hunting, a couple good site in the states elk101.com , elk calling academy, ElkNut. All have free or paid for stuff to help you learn.

I’ve been going for the past 4 years. Never really hunted as a kid. I got lucky and started going with neighbor/friend.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Taking the hunter training course will give you a lot of the information you are looking for, at least if you get a good instructor.

7mm Rem Mag is a fine cartridge and will make clean kills on anything you can hunt in Alberta. One thing to note though is it seems to be the cutoff point for tolerable recoil for a lot of people. Many shoot it and larger rifles just fine, but there are also many that develop a flinch or other bad shooting habits from the recoil and accuracy suffers as a result. I have a friend that has this problem, incredibly avid hunter, yet he traded his 7mm mag for a 7mm-08 because he developed a flinch he couldn't shake when shooting it.

Reality is most hunters will be making shots within 200 yards and the higher velocity of magnum cartridges isn't required within the range, the ability to make accurate shot placement is however. Being the reason cartridges like; 260, 7mm-08, 308, 25-06, 270, 280, 30-06 are frequently found amongst hunters in Alberta. All will take game in Alberta with the correct bullet selection and proper shot placement.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Taking the hunter training course will give you a lot of the information you are looking for, at least if you get a good instructor.

7mm Rem Mag is a fine cartridge and will make clean kills on anything you can hunt in Alberta. One thing to note though is it seems to be the cutoff point for tolerable recoil for a lot of people. Many shoot it and larger rifles just fine, but there are also many that develop a flinch or other bad shooting habits from the recoil and accuracy suffers as a result. I have a friend that has this problem, incredibly avid hunter, yet he traded his 7mm mag for a 7mm-08 because he developed a flinch he couldn't shake when shooting it.

Reality is most hunters will be making shots within 200 yards and the higher velocity of magnum cartridges isn't required within the range, the ability to make accurate shot placement is however. Being the reason cartridges like; 260, 7mm-08, 308, 25-06, 270, 280, 30-06 are frequently found amongst hunters in Alberta. All will take game in Alberta with the correct bullet selection and proper shot placement.

My dad has shot way more moose with his 30-30 then most people will ever to hope to shoot. It’s all about a good shot.

Top Bottom