Hunting season is here!

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Totally agree, one of my grandpa's hunted with a WWII surplus .303 British and the other grandpa a 30-30. Both considered totally obsolete and underpowered by most people these days. Of course this was when hunting was survival not for sport. But their families never went hungry, even if the garden was a bust they could still survive on moose meat.

I shoot a .270. If I can't kill it it's my fault, not the rifles.

Last edited:

Hoehand79

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I shoot a 300 win mag but like said above the old man used his 30 30 and 30odd6 and shot everything from beaver to big moose...

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 19 guns so a bit of what the day feels like for which I use.
Daughter sticks to her 270 Browning X Bolt Medallion, the odd time the 270 Weatherby.

Most hunting at farm does not require a 300RUM, but it is OK to lay one out and not have to track.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agreed with your statement, I put a witt muzzle break on my 7mm. Recoils like a 22-250 now. works great. Bring your ear plugs though...

Taking the hunter training course will give you a lot of the information you are looking for, at least if you get a good instructor.

7mm Rem Mag is a fine cartridge and will make clean kills on anything you can hunt in Alberta. One thing to note though is it seems to be the cutoff point for tolerable recoil for a lot of people. Many shoot it and larger rifles just fine, but there are also many that develop a flinch or other bad shooting habits from the recoil and accuracy suffers as a result. I have a friend that has this problem, incredibly avid hunter, yet he traded his 7mm mag for a 7mm-08 because he developed a flinch he couldn't shake when shooting it.

Reality is most hunters will be making shots within 200 yards and the higher velocity of magnum cartridges isn't required within the range, the ability to make accurate shot placement is however. Being the reason cartridges like; 260, 7mm-08, 308, 25-06, 270, 280, 30-06 are frequently found amongst hunters in Alberta. All will take game in Alberta with the correct bullet selection and proper shot placement.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
going for whitetails only this year didn't get any draws
308 model 88 winchester for deer
300 winmag for the elk and moose

Top Bottom