How doo places get the name?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
An interesting picture! This place, in my repertoire of "secret spots", will become to be known as "Cowboy Basin"!!

How doo/have some of your spots gotten their names?

Attachments

• Cowboy basin.jpg
    Cowboy basin.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 35

whitegold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
around here most get their names by certain incidents that happen and word gets around. "slide hill", "5 hour hill" , " Mars pond" , ect.....

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
An interesting picture! This place, in my repertoire of "secret spots", will become to be known as "Cowboy Basin"!!

How doo/have some of your spots gotten their names?

Do not doo! LOL. Should have named it Freddy's Basin.:d

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Neat picture.

Was wondering that same thing myself a couple weeks ago about naming an area. ShawnMcgr took us into a cool little hidden area in Fernie and didn't know of it being named yet when I asked. I said we should name it McGregor Ridge as nobody there knew of it having a name. The area has a couple great little clearings to play in and they lead up to a ridgeline that takes you back into a bowl that is North of the Rolling hills. It's in the video I posted a few weeks ago in the (Let's Ride) Crowsnest thread and the pictures on page 5 & 6 give it away as you can see the rolling hills across the valley in a few pics.

To get there you head up the trail from Coal Creek and you turn left off the trail just before hitting the intersection that leads into the rolling hills. This is the intersection where you can go straight into the back end of the rolling hills or turn right to go along the power line. Once turning left before this intersection you then continue parallel (East) to the trail along the creek and continue in another km or so, where you can then turn left and climb up into the clearings. The middle clearing has a rear trail that leads (North) up the hill and takes you atop of the ridge. Turn left at the top and follow the ridge line around to the right and there's a couple chutes that drop down into the trees and looks like there's some decent hill climbs in there where one can play for days.

Not many tracks in there and this would be the range adjacent to the NW corner of the rolling hills. Anyone know if that area is named? If not I'm gonna stick with calling it McGregor Ridge and this was a cool little secret area that Shawn introduced us to. Chime in if you know this area FernieSnow?

Guest101

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Third creek,leech ridge,hosmer ridge I have been in there for sure!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Neat picture.

Was wondering that same thing myself a couple weeks ago about naming an area. ShawnMcgr took us into a cool little hidden area in Fernie and didn't know of it being named yet when I asked. I said we should name it McGregor Ridge as nobody there knew of it having a name. The area has a couple great little clearings to play in and they lead up to a ridgeline that takes you back into a bowl that is North of the Rolling hills. It's in the video I posted a few weeks ago in the (Let's Ride) Crowsnest thread and the pictures on page 5 & 6 give it away as you can see the rolling hills across the valley in a few pics.

To get there you head up the trail from Coal Creek and you turn left off the trail just before hitting the intersection that leads into the rolling hills. This is the intersection where you can go straight into the back end of the rolling hills or turn right to go along the power line. Once turning left before this intersection you then continue parallel (East) to the trail along the creek and continue in another km or so, where you can then turn left and climb up into the clearings. The middle clearing has a rear trail that leads (North) up the hill and takes you atop of the ridge. Turn left at the top and follow the ridge line around to the right and there's a couple chutes that drop down into the trees and looks like there's some decent hill climbs in there where one can play for days.

Not many tracks in there and this would be the range adjacent to the NW corner of the rolling hills. Anyone know if that area is named? If not I'm gonna stick with calling it McGregor Ridge and this was a cool little secret area that Shawn introduced us to. Chime in if you know this area FernieSnow?

I will check tomorrow night for a more definitive name. That left turn off Coal Creek Road (or as my Tembec buddy calls it, Paiges Draw Road) leads up to Paiges Draw. If I don't get back to you please remind me. That is a nice area and you are correct, not a lot of traffic.

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
We were in there half the day with no tracks to be found other than ours, while all morning we saw most people across the ridge in the meadows along the power line where it was all pounded out. It was kinda funny having all the fresh to ourselves when we know the ones on the other side could hear us and see us in there. Gonna head back there the next time there's a big fresh dump.

senorjeem

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:d Well, there is " Holy frickin Krap, I'm never going in there again, gorge" Also known as Scotty's creek:p

jeremy8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
around here most get their names by certain incidents that happen and word gets around. "slide hill", "5 hour hill" , " Mars pond" , ect.....

I have been to the bottom of 5 hour with 3 feet of snow. Climbed straight back up and went to the right to the plateau where its hard to get out. The MIC rocks

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Neat picture.

Sorry for not getting into this earlier, Gascan! I totally missed it. The locals call it Hidden Basin and to the east is Scarpelli (local family of wild Italian riders) Leap. Hope this helps.

whitegold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been to the bottom of 5 hour with 3 feet of snow. Climbed straight back up and went to the right to the plateau where its hard to get out. The MIC rocks

It is a great hill!! The snow there is usually fantastic. We often ride there if the weather doesn't permit us to get into Sinclair. I will try to attach a pic of "The Wall" .... our favorite riding area....

Attachments

• Sinclair 004.jpg
    Sinclair 004.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 39

whitegold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Here is a pic of "5 hour hill".....

Attachments

• DIGI0016.jpg
    DIGI0016.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 32
Top Bottom