Horse Rescue up the Renshaw

domecreek

Reaction score
If "Pete the Heat" (Mcbride RCMP) knew about the horses being abandoned, I wonder what their reaction was at the time Mr.Mackay told them about the horses situation.

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The final amount of money raised was $6782.00

Thanks for all your donations. We will put a detailed report on here with the account for the money.

Once again Thanks for all your assistance.

RON

That is great - the SPCA will be able to use that money.

I would come back to an earlier comment I made and Summit889 also touched on - people really need help also.

There is a donation fund set up for the families of the Sparwood avalanche tragedy on this site. If you have made a donation to the horse rescue or joined S&M as a non sledder to follow the progress of these horses - please consider giving at least the same amount to the Sparwood fund. These guys had young families and really will need financial help. Please give generously for your fellow man.

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kelly, Summit889 I do undertand your view in light of the fact that almost everyday we watch the news and see thousands of children dying of starvation, Darfur, etc and no one is moved to do anything. I think your comments come from frustration - rescuing these horses is not wrong, people just need to ask themselves if my heart is moved for abondoned horses, why is it not moved for abandoned children. If you are motivated to do something for these horses what are you doing for your fellow man?

Please guys - remember these families - there is no happy ending in this story but your donation to them would be valued.

Wanderlust

Reaction score

I would come back to an earlier comment I made and Summit889 also touched on - people really need help also.

There is a donation fund set up for the families of the Sparwood avalanche tragedy on this site. If you have made a donation to the horse rescue or joined S&M as a non sledder to follow the progress of these horses - please consider giving at least the same amount to the Sparwood fund. These guys had young families and really will need financial help. Please give generously for your fellow man.

Hear, hear Haggis.....this tragedy in Sparwood has deeply affected everyone and these families need our help. These were young men in their prime looking toward the future, I don't believe for a second that anyone of them would have wanted to give their lives so early and not witness their children growing up without them. I'm waiting for word about the trust funds that were going to be established and then donate.

Wanderlust

Reaction score

Wanderlust

Reaction score
So there were 3 horses. And "he did everything humanely possible."

Not sure where you're getting the three horses from-I think it's his own saddle horse that he had (and came out with) and Sundance and Belle were packing for him and were left up there.

The CTV article seems like something is missing, can't put my finger on it.....

Saigo

Reaction score
Not sure where you're getting the three horses from-I think it's his own saddle horse that he had (and came out with) and Sundance and Belle were packing for him and were left up there.

The CTV article seems like something is missing, can't put my finger on it.....

You could be right I assumed when he said "surely they don't think I hauled three horses up there to starve to death"

cremellomare

Reaction score
I just wanted to say thanks to the rescuers..great job, and I am glad to hear the horse's are safe now.

I am a horse owner and appalled by the owners behavior. I don't understand why he didn't say anything to anyone in McBride, that it was all other people who reported seeing horses..he didn't think to leave a number on a flyer or something? And he thought the horses had enough time to get out? Are they super smart horses with GPS? Horses, especially domestic ones don't have enough sense to get out of the woods. I'm also really interested in knowing what happened to the 3rd horse..if he took it home or it died up there.

Falling Star

Reaction score
See
He keeps putting his foot in his mouth. I am sure the SPCA is going to love this! I, for myself, am getting a little tired of his “woe-is-me” story. As far as I know, he still hasn’t thanked any of the volunteers.
People, I think it is time to start writing letters to the editors, like Monika (good for you!) did. Write to the Edmonton Journal, The Edmonton Sun, The Globe and Mail, the Prince George Citizen, The Valley Sentinel, whatever, and voice your opinion.
Horses vomitting? I have owned horses for a quarter century and have yet to see one vomit. I was told they don't vomit. He must have some really special horses!
And what was he trying to accomplish with gatorade and 30 pounds of oats and alfalfa cubes? Let them die a painful death of colic? Or just prolong their suffering? I really don't get it. They are no longer his horses. He abandoned them and left them to die. Even the SPCA agrees that they were abandoned. That is an offence under the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act, Section 10.1. If it hadn't been for the rescuers, these horses wouldn't have seen 2009. And just because he didn't have a gun, he decides to let mother nature take its course? I am sure those horses were in a lot better shape 10 days before they were found by the rescuers, but if he thought they were in such rough shape, I am sure he could have hired a local with a gun to put them out of their misery. That would have been a last resort. But before that, he had almost three months to get help to find these horses, and I am sure there would have been numerous locals who would have been willling to help him, just as they came together now for the horses.
Animal protection laws need to be changed to protect these poor souls from cruel people. Write to the MP and MLA to voice your concerns.
Member of Legislature, Shirley Bond, at Shirley.Bond.MLA@leg.bc.ca
Member of Parliament, Jay Hill, at hillj@parl.gc.ca
This story is far from being over. He should not get these horses back.
By the way, the horses received da thorough vet check yesterday and no negative long-term effects were found. They also got their teeth floated and feet trimmed.

gwenrowdy

Reaction score

Will do. I think it would be a wonderful gesture for the horse lovers who are following this thread (hiya!) to make a donation to the Sparwood families who have lost their husbands and Dads in honor of the McBride snowmobilers who wouldn't give up on Sundance and Belle.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
We met some of the horse rescue people and organizers at the gigglin' grizzly on friday nite in mcbride..... Here's a few pics of them. Hopefully bbtoys, or someone can put the names to the pics.... We were introduced so quickly, then the ufc fight started, i never had time to write the names down.........once again, thanks for all your efforts, mcbride and area volunteers!

Attachments

• HORSEGROUP1.jpg
    HORSEGROUP1.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 337
  • HORSEGROUP2.jpg
    HORSEGROUP2.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 332
  • HORSEGROUP3.jpg
    HORSEGROUP3.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 337

Falling Star

Reaction score
We met some of the horse rescue people and organizers at the gigglin' grizzly on friday nite in mcbride..... Here's a few pics of them. Hopefully bbtoys, or someone can put the names to the pics.... We were introduced so quickly, then the ufc fight started, i never had time to write the names down.........once again, thanks for all your efforts, mcbride and area volunteers!

Thanks for the pics!
First one, from l to r:
Barry Walling, Tim and Monika Brown, Anthony Pepper, Logan Jeck, Leif Gunster, Lana Jeck, Birgit Stutz, Judy Walling
Second one, from l to r:
Tim and Monika Brown, Anthony Pepper, Logan Jeck, Leif Gunster, Lana Jeck
Third one, from l to r:
Leif Gunster, Lana Jeck, Birgit Stutz, Judy Walling

(Dave, where were you hiding?)

Wanderlust

Reaction score
I wanted to say a big thanks to Birgit for her fantastic article and editorial this past week in The Valley Sentinel-our local paper out of Valemount. Great job!:)

BIGFOOT

Reaction score

Other than Barry, I recognize Logan Jeck only.Is Logan a Snow and Mud member ? :) :confused: OLIVE DRAB DEAN must of been playing in the sand & Wanderlust doing Deans work... Cuz I don't see them in any pics ! ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom