Horse Rescue up the Renshaw

RockyMtn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Didn't specify trail....I assumed it!....:nono:

Journal is the local paper. 7-11 will have it !

Now I'm done!! LOL

CHEERS!!
:cool::beer::beer::cool:

billie014

Reaction score
Thank you for your concerns. None of us want these horses to go back to the owner. You can call Kent Kokoska of the SPCA and voice your concerns.
250-318-2571 (cell)
250-828-6751
866-901-7722
or email kkokoska@spca.bc.ca
Thanks and merry Christmas!

The SPCA told me today that they encourage people to contact them with any concerns they may have.
You can email them at kkokoska@spca.bc.ca and dgoodine@spca.bc.ca
Thanks!

Just wanted to post this info again, in case anyone missed it. Let your thoughts be heard, keep the pressure on the SPCA. This guy doesn't deserve to have these horses back.

Falling Star

Reaction score
Just wanted to post this info again, in case anyone missed it. Let your thoughts be heard, keep the pressure on the SPCA. This guy doesn't deserve to have these horses back.

Thanks billie014.

People can also contact our Member of Legislative, Shirley Bond, at Shirley.Bond.MLA@leg.bc.ca, and our Member of Parliament, Jay Hill, at
hillj@parl.gc.ca

girlluvshockey

Reaction score
I agree with waiting to the whole story comes out. We need to remember that it is easy to judge a situation from the outside, especially with the media helping feed the story. Also, animal abuse is not only a sensitive issue but very open to interpretation. For example, peoples opinions of rodeo. I have even heard people say that horse racing is "natural" and way better than rodeo. I know alot about the horse industry and the race track is far from natural. People have a variety of ways of thinking what is humane treatment. The SPCA will do a thourough job, but lets not forget it takes a pretty bad case to get them out too. Those 100 horses in Alberta didn't get to that condition overnight.

I think the rescue in McBride is fantastic and I fully support and send a huge applause to everyone involved. I also hope those horses can move forward to loving homes and be treated right. But I also know lots who would support putting them down as the humane way. (depending on their condition of course.) If this person is lying and mistreated these animals then of course their should be major consequences. But I think we need to be sensitive to where the info is coming from.

kensmith69

Reaction score
Well then you would of also of read that they could not find them. It was not till they were on a rescue trip that they were located

Well if the locals couldnt find them , how was a guy not from there supposed to find them?(owner)

Lots of conflicting stories on both sides.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well if he couldnt find them why couldnt he let locals know there were some horses up there and to keep an eye out for them... and besides that how come he didnt come and help when they were located..... kudos to all involved in this massive undertaking

Falling Star

Reaction score
Well if the locals couldnt find them , how was a guy not from there supposed to find them?(owner)

Lots of conflicting stories on both sides.

He did find the horses at the beginning of December but left them to die as they were too skinny and there was too much snow to get them out. It would have been better if he had put them out of their misery. He told a sledder that day (see this forum) that he didn't have a gun, but believe me, there are enough people in this area with guns. A lot of us are hunters, farmers and ranchers.

laserRob

Reaction score
""He said the horses had six weeks to leave the area before snowstorms trapped them. "When they decided to come out, it was too late."

Lord, take me before I die laughing!!!!!!!

If he had only left them a radio, and extra batteries, so they could hear the weather forecast!!!!!!!!

Rob

laserRob

Reaction score
Horse 1: Gatorade?
Horse 2: It's the same as snow and piss.
Horse 1: He gave us a phone to call for help.
Horse 2: I don't know anyone around here.
Horse 1: What's the number for 911
Horse 2: dunno
Horse 1: Where'd that other horse go?
Horse 2: He said it was gonna snow.
Horse 1: You didn't tell me?
Horse 2: WTF is snow!
Horse 1: We're screwed.
Horse 2: That's lawyers for you.
Horse 1: He thinks we can hibernate like Bears.
Horse 2: We should have ate him.
Horse 1: Hope we never see him again.
Horse 2: Who, the other horse?
Horse 1: No, the lawyer.
Horse 2: Well, he did say 'goodbye'.
Horse 1: Hey, let's count snowflakes.
Horse 2: Good idea. That lawyer is flake #1.....2.3.4.5........21,134,842,298.........

Rob

Saigo

Reaction score
He still could have called the local sled shop, asking who he could contact for help. Since he had their location on Dec 3.
He could have put an ad in the local paper.
He could have had someone local put up posters.
He could have called the SPCA.
He could have called the rescuers, during the rescue to give his side or at least thank them.

What bothers me aside from him letting them starve is that he called one of the rescuers and asked them to deliver them to a specified location so he could come and get them, not even after 7 days of recovery. As has been mentioned they have a very long road ahead of them still. Did he contact the vet to find out the feeding/supplement recommendation or how soon they could be moved? He just seems relentless.

If he is going to cover the cost of the rescue, is he also going to pay for the vet trip from P.G I'm sure that one is fairly hefty too, which I'm sure came from our SPCA fund.

The horses belong in McBride.

If it was a dog or cat that had been abandoned for 3 months there's no question the owner would not get them back.

What happened to finders keepers?

*xo*

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My fear for him getting these horses back is how negative he may be towards them for the publicity and judgement he has gotten from his mistakes and bad choices.
These horses deserve to live their life to the fullest :beer: they have made it this far already it would be wrong for them to go back to him and be sent for auction or something!

"Finders Keepers" is right he left them after failed attempts, he was ready to be rid of them anyways. They should be in the care of people who went waaaay out of there way to fetch them! It isnt the horses fault that in the six weeks they didn't get themselves out....how were they supposed to know!!:mad::realmad:

HUGE amounts of credit is well deserved for those of you who helped in the rescue!!:d
WAY TO GO!!!:beer:

girlluvshockey

Reaction score
My only hope in this situation is that the horses find a good home. With this kind of publicity and the SPCA involved of course some treatment is funded. But when all that goes away, those horses still have long way to go. The new home better be prepared for the full costs of vets, vaccinations, farriers, feed, etc......

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
NOt to keep the fire burning but I can not stop thinkning about this one. If my dog went missing I would post pictures up allover the place asking for the safe return.
There is just to much un known information here and 2 much that does not make sense. I just hope that the horses will survive and end up where the belong (warm loving home)

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I've been following this from the beginning, Kudos to all involvedas a horse owner I feel bad for my own when the weather sets in and it's -35, even given the fact they have water/shelter/food and lots of attention from us and the kids. I'm one of the ones who refuses to condem the fellow based on what I know and have read, the SPCA will investigate and if need be hand it over to the RCMP to persue. Regardless of his attempts to rescue the horses and the circumstances surrounding the failures I feel that at this point those horses belong to the people who worked selflessly to free them from certain death. I've never been to the area as I am new to sleds but I have buddies who have been there and it is common knowledge that people of the area are skilled in mountain rescue and retrieval, how many sleds are rescued from the area each year? When he made the decision to leave the area for the last time those horses were dead to him ( he should have at least let someone know so at the very least they could have been put down humainly) but I guess all happens for a reason and this is a much better outcome. For their suffering they have been given the gift of a better life. So although I am not willing to condem him outright I find it appauling that he would feel he still has some right to the very animals he wrote off over a month ago. I am not from the area, had no hand in the rescue, nor have I ever been there, I do agree with those who feel that the horses belong in McBride.
Best wishes to all those involved, and happy new year to all.
Cheers.....Ian

Top Bottom