Horse Rescue up the Renshaw

domecreek

Reaction score
This is good news as one can judge a society by the way it treats it's animals.
Who is this lawyer - someone must know his name ?

Saigo

Reaction score
Thanks for the email addresses. I hope lots of people will write to them. As well, keep up the pressure on the SPCA.
The horses are doing well, eating and drinking lots. They are in a barn, but we can't disclose their location, therefore no pics. They seem very content though and are starting to show their true characters.

I will have a letter done today for Shirley Bond. FS do you want us to do one for the SPCA?

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is good news as one can judge a society by the way it treats it's animals.
Who is this lawyer - someone must know his name ?
It's funny that a group, sledders, that doesn't want to be stereotyped as a bunch of idiots because some of us are, certainly doesn't hesitate to emphasize the fact that this guy is a lawyer(if, in fact that is the case), as though that has something to do with the way he allegedly treated his animals.

Last edited:

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's funny that a group, sledders, that doesn't want to be stereotyped as a bunch of idiots because some of us are, certainly doesn't hesitate to emphasize the fact that this guy is a lawyer(if, in fact that is the case), as though that has something to do with the way he treated his animals.

Thanks Summiteer. I was about to go on a bit of a rant on this - now I don't have to.:d Lawyer electrician, used car salesman - whatever. Unless he is a Wall Street investment banker - then there is likely a correlation. Plus I hear that George Bush kicks puppies. :rolleyes:

So - the horses are out. I respect the efforts of all those who participated in this rescue.

But now whe have the calls that the owner of these horse "should never own another animal", etc. - typical battle cry of the "horse petter". The horses are in a "secret location" and you can't publish a picture of them in a barn because this could disclose where they are? Why? So the owner doesn't make some commando raid to get them back? Let's not get ridiculous.

Obviously, there are a number of people by their comments who have assessed guilt to the owner in this situation before all the facts are known. The principle of "presumption of innocence" is an indelible part of our legal system. Sadly, it appears to be largely lost where there are suspected cases of animal "abuse". The animal rights activists largely seem to operate on the basis of screaming that abuse occurs first (and loudly) - then actually letting the facts sort themselves out later. Usually after the media has lost interest in the story.

My advice to all concerned would be to let the SPCA deal with this. I sincerely hope that the SPCA won't be swayed by a hoard of emails already pronouncing this individual's guilt. They should be approaching this investigation in a (hopefully?) professional and unbiased manner. If the fact are that he tried to get these horses out of their predicament - and thus there is no "abuse' per se - I hate to tell you he has a legal right to them back.

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On a lighter note - we should start a pool on the first guy to bury his sled in the trench that was dug to get the horses out.

My pick - SummitRic is already in it! :d

MaryS

Reaction score
"You can judge a society by the way it treats its animals" ~ Mahatma Gandhi

domecreek was quoting Mahatma Gandhi - have you heard of him? Called the father of the nation of India? A practitioner of non-violence and truth? You can look him up on wikipedia

Here is another interesting quote - "Christ gave us the goals and Mahatma Gandhi the tactics" - Martin Luther King, Jr.... 1955

Gandhi's thinking is pretty well respected.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

domecreek was quoting Mahatma Gandhi - have you heard of him? Called the father of the nation of India? A practitioner of non-violence and truth? You can look him up on wikipedia

Here is another interesting quote - "Christ gave us the goals and Mahatma Gandhi the tactics" - Martin Luther King, Jr.... 1955

respected enough he was killed for it....

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey lets keep this forum going on the wonderfull rescue of the horses and not get off on side track rants. Start a horse rant forum if need be

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Short dude? Coke bottle glasses? Shinny legs? Loked smashing in a nehru jacket? Interestingly enough he was a lawyer too..........

Your sarcasm is noted. Barely

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't want to pass judgement on the owner of the horses, but I must say that the sign at the cabin in the Renshaw sums it up the best. " if you bring it in you bring it out". Be it horses, sleds, pop cans or what ever it is you brought in, it is your responsibilty to bring it out. Take responsibility for your actions and if it is more than you can manage on your own then for God's sake ask for help. Reading these threads I know for a fact that if the owner of these horses would have asked the good people of Mcbride for help they would have been there for him. I think a little more effort on His part dwould have gone a long way to avert this situation. I also read a lot of critisism from people who were not there, I'm sorry that you feel the way you do, but until you were actually there you cannot appreciate the efforts that went into this rescue or the predicument that these horses were in. I for one was there and did help dig "the trench to freedom". All be it only an hour of my time and if I may speak for my three buddies, it leaves me with a good feeling about myself and my buddies. It is situations like this that bring out the good in all of mankind. It's just too bad that this will all soon be forgotten and we will be cussing one another out on the highways or the parking lots of life. Lets remember this and not stray down that path of evil

dumbassracing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This guy doesn't deserve to get them back. If they were not in good enough shape to get out on one of his earlier atrempts, he should have done the humane thing and shot them. As it stands, one horse staved to death with a set of hobbles on. What a cruel way to die. And to think he is just going to show up and take them back? What a jerk. If the SPCA gives him the animals back, people should stop their donations to their organization. Finally, his name should be published, he is no different than any other criminal, just because he wants to pay for their rescue shouldn't buy him forgiveness.
Probably won't matter how many people don't agree with what he did, money talks, and he will get them back and put them in some other hell hole in years to come. It's too bad, but that is just the way it works.
If someone could find out who he is, plaster his name all over the papers in his region, then it wouldn't matter if he bought his way out of it, cause he would still end up paying.
Just my two cents or more.

Sage

Reaction score
For the members who are saying It's over the horses are out, lets move on.... Well it is really not over for the horses. Nothing much is being said about the condition of the horses, but i can only imagine that the one horse who was missing hair might be having some problems. Ive seen it referred to as rain scald or frostbite and im hoping it's not frostbite. Ive seen donkeys with the tips of their ears missing - kind of squared off - because of the tissue dying and sloughing off due to frostbite. Plus the refeeding of starved horses is not without problems.

Was the third horse who cannot be found hobbled ? If so it may have been taken down by a carnivore. I can imagine the horses got spooked by a predator and the hobbled horse could not outrun it. Who would leave hobbles on a horse and then leave the area ?

It is not "over" for the surviving horses if they are returned to an owner who shows such little regard for his horse's well-being.

And i notice a small minority of the regular members here who think it's "over" and do not want to hear all this horse stuff, good grief this is one thread on a very large forum. Don't click on it. There are those of us who continue to worry about the horses and if there is a link to a website that is tracking their progress i would love to have it !

And to the horse lovers and those involved in the rescue - you guys rock !

Falling Star

Reaction score
This guy doesn't deserve to get them back. If they were not in good enough shape to get out on one of his earlier atrempts, he should have done the humane thing and shot them. As it stands, one horse staved to death with a set of hobbles on. What a cruel way to die. And to think he is just going to show up and take them back? What a jerk. If the SPCA gives him the animals back, people should stop their donations to their organization. Finally, his name should be published, he is no different than any other criminal, just because he wants to pay for their rescue shouldn't buy him forgiveness.
Probably won't matter how many people don't agree with what he did, money talks, and he will get them back and put them in some other hell hole in years to come. It's too bad, but that is just the way it works.
If someone could find out who he is, plaster his name all over the papers in his region, then it wouldn't matter if he bought his way out of it, cause he would still end up paying.
Just my two cents or more.

I'd be curious to know how you know for sure that there were three horses. There was a rumour floating around for a while that there were three, but nothing has been proven so far.

dumbassracing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The guys that owns him went after three, and there are only two been rescued, so you do the math.
A couple of locals that I know personally that have bought horses from my dad were telling us about these horses before the snow hit the ground. And the post of where the horses had missing hair, is not frost bite. Their tails were bare too, cause that is what they were eating to survive on. Horses will do that when there is nothing to eat. Especially wild horses. And that is why the one had no hair. And I imagine the hobbled one probably got taken down by wolves or what have you, as there are an abundance of carinvours in that particular area.
All in all, the guy that owns them should never get them back, and not be allowed to own any kind of creature again. If it had of been a $15,000.00 quad/sled, he would have gotten it out of there the day it happened. But two $500.00 horses???? As if he cares.

Top Bottom