Honda fourtrax 1986

MACHINE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello i know maybe some of you guys would know about a honda fourtrax 1986 350 4x4 are they any good and are they reliable ? i know it,s 22 years old but i heard those engine are bulletproof.:confused:

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
There is a guy on here "moonbuggy" that has a 1984 trx200 honda's 1st quad he bought it new it is still in mint condition and running stong...his kids ride it

plumbum

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.outlawatvclub.com
that quad in general is bulletproof. my father in law had his all the way until 1999. drove it hard and never had to do a thing to it. he changed the oil once a year even if it didnt need it. lol.

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
long after man has gone from planet earth the only things the martians will find are tim horton cups and still running old 300 hondas and gas will be free!!:cool:

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Hello i know maybe some of you guys would know about a honda fourtrax 1986 350 4x4 are they any good and are they reliable ? i know it,s 22 years old but i heard those engine are bulletproof.:confused:

It all depends on the owner(s). Anyone can buy a few pieces of plastic and make her shine. 22 years is a long time to be calling any atv reliable IMO. Reliable can also be interpreted differently. There's reliable like being out on the quarter with some fencing pliers and a roll of barbed wire and there's reliable like being 50 miles from the nearest gravel road over 4 mountain ranges. Good luck in finding a keeper.

mallard d69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i own 2 1986 honda 350 4x4's and in my opinion they are some of the tuffest to kill out there i beat the sh*t out of mine and its still kickin regular oil changes and premo fuel have kept mine alive as long as it has been.

SweetBrian

Reaction score
A friend I ride with has his dad 89 fourtrax and when hes on it I can't keep up to him

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
long after man has left the planet earth the only two items the martians will find are tim horton cups and old 1986 hondas that still run..they just go forever

CThiessen

Reaction score
I just bought myself the 1987 of the same quad and I have heard the same thing that the motor is bulletproof. For example the quad had not been running in quite some time (at least 3 years or more) and all I did was change the battery, spark plug, replaced the old fuel with new fuel, cleaned the carb and gave it an oil change, then she fired right up with no problems what soever. I have a question for ya. Where is the serial number on this machine? I need it so I can get plates and the previous owner had no idea where it was because he never got insurance or plates for it.

mallard d69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just bought myself the 1987 of the same quad and I have heard the same thing that the motor is bulletproof. For example the quad had not been running in quite some time (at least 3 years or more) and all I did was change the battery, spark plug, replaced the old fuel with new fuel, cleaned the carb and gave it an oil change, then she fired right up with no problems what soever. I have a question for ya. Where is the serial number on this machine? I need it so I can get plates and the previous owner had no idea where it was because he never got insurance or plates for it.

the serial # is on the front rack under the lights if it has a winch on it you will have to take it off to read the number
hope that helps

CThiessen

Reaction score
The sticker is there with the year make and model however the VIN has been rubbed off through time. But I still got it registered I used the engine serial number and the broad from the motor vehicle branch came out and looked at it and she said it was good enough so I guess I got lucky. In fact I took the winch off and replaced it with a new one last night and I checked it again and there was no VIN on the plate behind the winch.

mallard d69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The sticker is there with the year make and model however the VIN has been rubbed off through time. But I still got it registered I used the engine serial number and the broad from the motor vehicle branch came out and looked at it and she said it was good enough so I guess I got lucky. In fact I took the winch off and replaced it with a new one last night and I checked it again and there was no VIN on the plate behind the winch.

glad to here that you got it regestered you are lucky it still had the origional motor .

happy quadding

4-Trax

Reaction score

Like any other machine, if it was properly mantained it is a good machine.
It has its drawbacks, like poor front brakes, rough ride compared to newer units, and in some cases it is hard to find parts for.

Overall it is a real workhorse.
Considering it was the first 4x4 Quad out, I'd say they were pretty good at the time, and I still have mine with record mileage on it(65,000+ miles).

jhoop73

Reaction score
I have this machine, it has been nothing but reliable. I have had to replace the gas tank and a few tune ups. I plow my driveway with it with no issues at all. Would recommend it to anyone

Top Bottom