3000 Watt Generators, Which Brand, Why?

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the new Honda EU3200 suitcase generator?

I have 4 generators, 2 Honda's....2000EU & a 7000I. Cummins 3500(brand new) & a Jet around 3000w. The Honda's are the most expensive & hands down the best. I've looked @ the EU3200 & have considered selling my 3 smaller generators & purchasing that one.

My RV dealer over sold me on the Cummins, 2ea AC units & one is a heat pump. It won't start both units, the reason I have a Honda 7000I.

If you are cheap the other brands are easy to justify, if not buy the Honda & have many years of flawless performance.

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it really depends on your use and expectations.
We have been using honda on our jobsites for years. Sometimes we run them 24/7 for weeks on end. The older ones with the GX series industrial engines are pretty bulletproof. Heavy, noisy and not inverters. They did have carb needle/seat issues though.
The newer, quieter and compact ones are not the same animal. They don't last nearly as well and when the engine wears out, they're not worth fixing. Performance and day to day reliability is still typical honda though. They seem to be running on reputation for a large part.
We have been experimenting with buying other brands lately and have had generally good success. It's a get what-you-pay-for scenario to some extent. Stay away from the cheapest off brands. You have lots of options for enclosed 3000W inverters as it the go to "RV" model and pretty much every brand makes one.
Generacs seem decent at a fraction of the price. I'd say Firman is pretty close. They have a bunch of dual fuel models.
I bought an Energizer (yes, same as the battery brand) for myself and would put them roughly on par with Generac. Would buy again. They have a 3200 watt enclosed model with remote electric start. Peavy Mart sells that brand at a good price, but not all the models.
The Energizers seem identical to the Hyundai brand that Princess Auto is selling for slightly more money, so I assume they are 3rd party manufactured.
If you're set on a Honda, the EM3000 could be a consideration. It's an old school, open frame, constant throttle style, but its light, rugged and has a unique quasi-inverter cycloconverter that handles high demand power tools really well.

The Generator Bible is a great resource website.

Last edited:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay stupid question time. Does propane go bad over time? If you have Gen on a big propane tank can you end up with trouble over three or more years of storage?

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay stupid question time. Does propane go bad over time? If you have Gen on a big propane tank can you end up with trouble over three or more years of storage?

Not really, gas goes bad for 3 reasons:
Water contamination, especially with ethanol blends.
Oxidation, the fuel breaks down chemically to do exposure to oxygen in the air.
Evaporation, gasoline is a mix of many different hydrocarbons, the lighter ones boil off over time. Especially true with winter gasoline, it has Butane in it for ease of starting and it also increases octane rating, after the butane boils off your are left with lower octane fuel.

Propane, being stored in a sealed container doesn't suffer from these issues. So no over the course of 3 years it won't go bad.

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I had race gas stored in a black drum for the last 10 years, do you think it's still good. I've been using it to start my bonfires but it still smells pretty potent.

Kinda sucks start fires at $6/l haha

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Tyler, if you’re not going bigger than 3000
Then Honda and Yamaha are the only 2 choices.
What color do you like better, red or blue?

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a Honda 3000 very good generator, but like everyone has said either Honda or yamaha are awesome.

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That's the benefit. Have a few 100lb-ers out at the cabin and not have to worry about daily refuels or spoilage.
Tri-fuel models are around that can run on natural gas. If you're using it for home power outages, you can just plug it into your bbq outlet and have an endless supply.

One thing to keep in mind is that output is slightly reduced on propane and bit more on natural gas.

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does the mechanisim or Carb get gummed up with anything over time or just turn the key and they RUN? Sounds like the cats ass for a stationary plant around home for sure.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Propane is pretty reliable and clean, much cleaner burning than gas, harder to steal and less interest from thieves. Stores forever, runs like a gas engine really but typically smoother. Propane does not love the cold, easily good to -25C get colder than that and it starts having issues. At -40C it is no longer a vapour and turns back to a liquid.

Good starting with a propane engine is all about proper air/fuel ratio, typically if I have a hard starter I shut fuel off, crank till no pressure then slowly open fuel supply while cranking. it will hit the right AFR eventually. It pays to tune them and get familiar with them can make the experience much better. Sometimes engines use different spark plugs (gap and heat range).

If you do your research there is ways to purchase propane and not pay road taxes as well. Typically propane is cheapest in the fall to purchase.

brianm

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Idk we have a Cummins p4500i for the last 2 years. it’s been good so far.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ran my Honda 3000 last weekend for 11 hours to run my furnace and lights on enclosed and surprised it only took 6.4 litres of fuel.

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone interested these are suppose to be available at Costco, i believe 849$cdn i see they are dual fuel and made in California.

https://a-ipower.com/products/gxs4300idc-dual-fuel-inverter-generator

aipower_gxs4300idclifestyleimage-1666819772609.jpg

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Top Bottom