3000 Watt Generators, Which Brand, Why?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know my honda 2000i will not run my circular saw properly, i would rate it at a 1600 to 1650. But it is quiet at idle, not so much under load. My older Coleman 1850 would run the same circular saw easily. But it does start and run nice...especially with aspen fuel in it.
i have a Coleman also but it was loud, always run full throttle? throttle up mode would have been nice?

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This Generac IQ3500 claims to be 40% quieter than Honda EU3000ie. Don't know if that is the good Honda or what, supposidly the Generax is pretty quiet though.

I posted that one up ealier. In my research of 3500 watt ish generators the Generac reviews are really good. All say very quiet. Some others were names I am less familar with, Predator, WEN. Even Champion has done well.

I see an issue with this thread in that some are talking the 2000 watt range, some 3000 watt range. No consistency.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I posted that one up ealier. In my research of 3500 watt ish generators the Generac reviews are really good. All say very quiet. Some others were names I am less familar with, Predator, WEN. Even Champion has done well.

I see an issue with this thread in that some are talking the 2000 watt range, some 3000 watt range. No consistency.

Title says 3000watt, so thats what i was going with. All good though.

For the price of the honda, id be looking at something like this if you dont.need it to be portable. Lets say for powering a cabin or something like that.

Screenshot_20221123-085108_Samsung Internet.jpg

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Exactly. Same as the comparison between the 3500 generac to the Honda 3000.
Continuous rating of the electric start Honda 3000 is 2800w, the generac is 3000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Title says 3000watt, so thats what i was going with. All good though.

For the price of the honda, id be looking at something like this if you dont.need it to be portable. Lets say for powering a cabin or something like that.

View attachment 262745

Lots of complaints how loud they are and they are a expensive install. IMO the only benefit to that stationary unit is a larger fuel supply with a propane pig and not having the inconvenience of filling up.

In 5 days my uncle spent 1700 bucks in gas during hurricane Fiona. He definitely looking into these stationary generators for the future.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of complaints how loud they are and they are a expensive install. IMO the only benefit to that stationary unit is a larger fuel supply with a propane pig and not having the inconvenience of filling up.

In 5 days my uncle spent 1700 bucks in gas during hurricane Fiona. He definitely looking into these stationary generators for the future.

Plus its 7500 watts.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I'll be going with the honda, and am looking at used ones, I still want to be able to take it camping if for some reason we end up going during a heatwave, or to somewhere stupid warm. Definitely appreciate all the feedback and information provided in here.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
biggest thing i see is the ratings on generators, need to be sound tested, same day same conditions, don't take much to manipulate DB ratings. lots of different gens out there, pick your poison! there are a few ways to lower the running Db's as lilduke says who wants to hear a gen running day and night.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll be going with the honda, and am looking at used ones, I still want to be able to take it camping if for some reason we end up going during a heatwave, or to somewhere stupid warm. Definitely appreciate all the feedback and information provided in here.

FYI, my Honda dealer told me when I bought my 3200 that if is was going to sell my 3000. Do not sell it for less than 2g and it’s 10 years old.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep, lots of generic options for generators. I think my uncle is looking at a 20KV unit.

Ya for my house, that is what id get. The 20kw

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But if you want quieter and lower fuel consumption, honda would be the ticket. Unless you dove into the deep end with some lithium batteries, controllers, inverters and solar panels that may not supply enough jamb.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
FYI, my Honda dealer told me when I bought my 3200 that if is was going to sell my 3000. Do not sell it for less than 2g and it’s 10 years old.

that's kind of what I'm seeing for pricing around yes, that 2000-2500 mark on used.......
New is 2999 + gst + whatever else, we'll see what I find.

Fridge isn't going into cabin until next year, this year its simply some lights and a boot dryer and charge some electronics.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But for those who are considering it.. this is how it stacks up against all the rest for noise, fuel consumption and all the other crap.

Attachments

• generator.png
    generator.png
    423.3 KB · Views: 87

blubbles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Honda gets the vote. It has a slightly larger engine (199cc vs 171cc) and seem to ride through the peaky loads better than the Yamaha. I would love to do a teardown and check the capacitors in them to see if there is any real difference, but just my 0.02 from having them both camping.

We have a eu2000, and a 3000.... Both have been indestructible. You can stand beside the eu3000 running at mid throttle (like an ac unit) and its not annoying in any way. We have it tied into the house in the case of power outages, but it does get brought along if I know we have other people who dont have generators on crown land.

EU 2000 is a bit more high strung, still can run the AC in the trailer but its for sure louder if running hard. That being said is perfect for one trailer with charging batteries etc without taking so much space.... or being so hard on my back. Only issue i've ever had is after it sits a long time, if you drain a tablespoon of fuel through the carb drain they start up right away.... or 30 pulls. After that it starts right away. I always overfill the 2000 a tiny bit with oil as well as i've had low oil light come on when doing it perfectly to the same amount.

PowderStew

Reaction score
I know 2 people with the firman generator/inverters. Electric start with remote. I think 3800w surge and 3600 running. I'd have bo problem running one if I needed a generator and they go on sale at home depot and other places for $750 a lot
I have one of these with 300 hrs on it. No issues at all and i love it.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the new Honda EU3200 suitcase generator?

Top Bottom