Home Inspections

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Just curious as to if anyone here on the site is a home inspector, or can refer me to one?

I may need an inspection done here pretty quick on a mobile home out in Spruce Grove.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

TG

Snow Monkey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
www.subjecttoinspection.ca

Her name is Bridget Wingate, we have used her services several times. Excellent with houses, mobile homes, acreages too. Awesome lady, 17 years in Parkland County.

We give her 10/10 for knowledge and honesty too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Admin

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Her name is Bridget Wingate, we have used her services several times. Excellent with houses, mobile homes, acreages too. Awesome lady, 17 years in Parkland County.

We give her 10/10 for knowledge and honesty too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bridget was very friendly, however she informed me "she is too old to do mobile homes" so she's referred me to someone else :)

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Your almost better off to have a tradesman experienced in home building do it, not like the inspection people offer any sort of guarantee anyway, If they miss something there is no recourse.

Arlenes dad did ours....

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your almost better off to have a tradesman experienced in home building do it, not like the inspection people offer any sort of guarantee anyway, If they miss something there is no recourse.

Arlenes dad did ours....

Ditto, some of them are just people who took a course and no real world knowledge, besides for checking moisture content in the basement, they can tell you about the same as almost any regular person can look for. The best ones for it are ones who've been around building for a long time and know what to look for.

I mean the one who did my sisters house couldn't even accurately look at the shape of the shingles, which is frigging pathetic. But he did mention there was a crack in the siding! Wow.

A few hundred dollars more for a good inspection is not something to skimp on.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
unfortunately the bank doesn't recognize pops credentials...

this time the bank is not requesting it, I've just put it as a condition on the offer. Just want that extra little piece of mind.

Posnick had referred me to a buddy of his, but he doesn't have the room on his schedule.

Chief Shiny Top has also offered to come and have a look for me.

I've been in contact with Cabin to Castle home Inspections out of Edmonton, and will advise them tomorrow morning if I'm going with them for sure or not.

mathrulz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've used Ian Rae with Amerispec out of Whitecourt a few times recently. Will travel and is very thorough.

BeachSled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stay away from Cabin To Castle... At all costs, this is not a suggestion as much as it is a absolute warning !!!

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We used pillar to post also on this last house. He took 5 hours and did a good job. I was happy to pay.

Snow Monkey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cabin to castle did our friends' first home in drayton valley. What a nightmare after the fact, when there was issues with OLD cracks in the foundation, which were not noticed by the inspector. Not nice and even a little ignorant. Would Not recommend !

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Cabin to castle did our friends' first home in drayton valley. What a nightmare after the fact, when there was issues with OLD cracks in the foundation, which were not noticed by the inspector. Not nice and even a little ignorant. Would Not recommend !

Thanks for the feedback, as I said Bridgette at Subject to inspection had referred me to them.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Amerispec inspections are insured. Any company that does not hold insurance I would be careful of.

As mentioned, a trades person who is knowledgeable on home construction can do your inspection if you know of one. Any inspection aside from mobiles should take half a day. Don't watch shows like Mike Holmes either. No one can go in and start poking holes in walls and come to great conclusions on what is going on in the house.

Realtors are a funny bunch as well. If they want to sell a place, they will refer you to a company they normally use. Its better to use the company that the realtor would use if they were the ones purchasing the house.

Also home inspectors when following the Standards of Practice of the Canadian Association of Home Inspectors can only point out what is obvious code violations. They don't have a crystal ball, or can they predict the future. I am pretty sure in AB and BC the inspector has to be registered under that same association to be legit as well.

No freakin way would I want to be one. The unqualified ones make money off of uneducated people and the qualified ones get a bad rep.

Top Bottom