Higher and Higher wood prices

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats crazy! Whats the reasoning?? That would of been cut and split last year too. Or at least it should of been.
We have lots of places with dry, dead standing

Some guys I'm sure are buying truck loads and cutting them up, so ya they will need time to sit

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think firewood prices are that bad and I'm a cheapskate. Even at 300 for a cord of larch....would you do it for that? It's a lot of work and wear and tear on equipment. To buy a logging truck load around here is 3800 for fir or larch. Then you still have to cut, split, and stack it.

I love getting firewood, but even at 300 a cord I don't think it's a very high paying affair for the amount of work
Truck load is 1500-2000 here

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Truck load is 1500-2000 here

1500 is awesome. Even at 2000 though.....I've heard there is around 12 cords on a logging truck (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Do you want to cut split and stack 12 cords of wood for a couple hundred bucks? I sure don't!

winterax

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1500 is awesome. Even at 2000 though.....I've heard there is around 12 cords on a logging truck (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Do you want to cut split and stack 12 cords of wood for a couple hundred bucks? I sure don't!

Alberta logging trucks averages about 50- 55 M3 in the summer, more in the winter due to relaxed weight restrictions, 12 cords is about 45 M3,

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All the local guys in the industry think this is just a temporary blip. Was going to build the kids a playhouse this fall but just too high right now. Even the owners son at the local building supply said he would wait until spring

See what happens I guess

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Getting out of hand around here because the wood is so far away. I'm fortunate i can reduce the cost by doing the hauling but it still costs. Before you could pay the contractor a few hundred buck and he would load you but now with all these pellet plants even the junk has value. In a way its good to reduce the waste but definitely getting harder to get firewood. Last winter there was no pellets to be found west of pg. Go figure

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That’s because wood pellets are now called bio fuel . It’s so much more eco friendly when you change the name so you don’t have to acknowledge that you are still burning wood. See now you can clear cut and burn, save the planet and feel good about it. Drives me up the f’n wall. ( I have nothing against pellets or wood burning)

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That’s because wood pellets are now called bio fuel . It’s so much more eco friendly when you change the name so you don’t have to acknowledge that you are still burning wood. See now you can clear cut and burn, save the planet and feel good about it. Drives me up the f’n wall. ( I have nothing against pellets or wood burning)

good point. even better, I’m going to call what I do now as ... bio fuel reduction. By removing the trees I’m helping the environment. Removing the trees help rid the co2 if they catch fire. I’m now a hero, hey Greta lets do lunch.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They paying you 50% more. Mills are totally making money but rate are still the same. We are busy but for the same old rates.

Fuel is down considerably and our tonne hour rate is up about 5% for an overall profit increase of around 16%. The mills have to make money for me to make money.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yesterday my wife bought 5- 2x4x8 and with taxes she paid $50. She was doing a project for the daycare where she works so they paid but holly crap thats crazy

Beer Slayer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I need to replace four fence posts...can't find 4, 6"x6"x10 foot PT posts.
They did have 4, 6x6x12' in stock for $69.90 each plus tax...ouch!

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My question is, are the loggers making good coin right now?
I have doubts they make any more that usual . The same goes for beef farmers ,they don’t get paid a premium when there is a shortage.Covid created a lumber and plywood shortage which has driven prices up , many construction contractors have had to suck it up and of course the homeowners and housing prices jump. No winning I’m afraid.

Last edited:

winterax

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My question is, are the loggers making good coin right now?

Alberta Crown dues for October are over $85.00 a M3 for large mills. That's about $4,600.00 per truck load, government is making a killing. The larger mills have to build their own roads, layout the blocks, do their own consultations, replant and reclaim all on their own dime as well.
Not sure what they're paying in BC

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alberta Crown dues for October are over $85.00 a M3 for large mills. That's about $4,600.00 per truck load, government is making a killing. The larger mills have to build their own roads, layout the blocks, do their own consultations, replant and reclaim all on their own dime as well.
Not sure what they're paying in BC

Stumpage is going up again in BC Jan 01 2021.mills likely won’t be harvesting their licence wood as the cost will be to high. Timber sales and private land will be at a premium that should keep wood prices up high.
As for the logger we are not seeing the wealth, we negotiate block to block but with very little increase in pay, the mills are saying it’s a short term bubble so if we raise the rates we won’t be able to get them back when prices dip...waiting and negotiating continue.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some BC mills have put on volume bonuses to try to get more logs in before stumpage takes a big jump Jan 1.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2024eb4b4b3ba0a86ff70366af7afea1.jpg

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some BC mills have put on volume bonuses to try to get more logs in before stumpage takes a big jump Jan 1.
Ha ha, rain saturated roads and no loggers. This should be fun. Love to see the quality checks....with in a foot, perfect!

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wood prices are going thru the roof, a 2 X 4" X 8' stud that was $5.05 three weeks ago is now $7.25. A sheet of 7/16" OSB is now $30.00, when are these prices going to level out and settle down or are we going to see even higher pricing. Imagine if you where planning to build a fall project, there goes the budget, I know supply and demand factors in but what else is pushing this pricing - the fires in the states, the hurricane damages. Any thoughts or opinions out there.
Locally 2x4 studs are at $10. Just bought a trailer load of wood to reno our new shop. Couldn't believe what I was seeing on the invoice.

Top Bottom