hi i was wondering what would happen if you run normal pump gas and not 91 octane

nany387

Reaction score
i have a 2011 crossfire 800 and was wondering why i had to run 91 octane and what would happen if i didn't and just ran normal pump gas also if i got normal pump gas and just put octane boost would it hurt it or what just got the sled and new to the newer sleds any help would be awesome thanks

cnelson6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It has the newer ho engine you need to run premium in it. And it is proven that most octane boosters don't actually work so just fork out the extra 15 cents a litre for piece of mind.

joey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it'd probably run like a bag and gum your injectors up.

Rjjtcross8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also on the 800 ho's try and find a ethanol free premium fuel like shell 91 for example. Lower quality fuels will throw your octane light on the guage and will force the sled into limp mode. (To reset from limp mode turn off sled and re start it) the 2011 year is also more sensitive to fuels then the 2010 unless it had a mapping update from cat. Hope this all helps.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't do it. the engine is designed to run on premium. although it has a knock sensor that should put it into limp mode, do you want to take that chance. Detonation is a very destructive thing and something you shouldn't play with unless you have deep pockets

DonKiddic

Reaction score
My 2010 would always trigger OCTN sensor on Shell 91 fuel. Always ran great on ESSO or Petro 91.

Rjjtcross8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The shell has always been good to me as well as petro can, I had issue's with esso before. I do understand that there will be variation from place to place and location to location however.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran regular gas (usually Petro Can) for 2200 miles in my 2010 M8 without issue. This was in the mountains though.

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Run the premium like everybody says. I don't run the fuel from husky in my 2010 M8 but have used Safeway and Costco premium without any issues at all.

mastercraft

Reaction score
personally found the non h.o motor to run better on regular , but the h.o is a MUST for the premium were ever your getting It from , if need be to get home regular and octane boost usually doesn't set the code off on mine but I don't make a habit of using anything but shell premium myself .

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the 94 from Petro Can, I know its ethanol, but my high boost car that cant stand ethonal likes it so it should be good for the sled.

craptabulous

Reaction score
I run 94 from chevron with no issues, in my m1000 that has a high compression head . Basically the equivalant of a h.o m8 but a 1000 :)

knee deep in it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
these look real nice

piston coffee table.jpg

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
out of all them replies knowone answered his question. to answer your question. higher octane fuels burns slower and produces less heat. hence less detonation. plus ive found fuels like chevron 94 are not pipe line fuel. they truck it in. way cleaner. take a clear container when ya fill up with regular fuel next time. couldnt believe the color and crap in the bottom of the can.

knee deep in it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
out of all them replies knowone answered his question. to answer your question. higher octane fuels burns slower and produces less heat. hence less detonation. plus ive found fuels like chevron 94 are not pipe line fuel. they truck it in. way cleaner. take a clear container when ya fill up with regular fuel next time. couldnt believe the color and crap in the bottom of the can.

my understanding of octane is that it is a measure of predictability. Higher octane fuel has some light ends removed which means it will have a litlle less btu (energy). This loss is more than offset by having a higher compression engine which relies on a more predictable fuel.

If you have an engined tuned to accept regular fuel, you will get less performance by using higher octane. If you have an engine tuned to require higher octane fuel, using regular will result in premature ignition which will leads to a nice piston collection.

many years ago, I was in the petrocan refinery in edmonton and saw the octane testing motors. These motors were fueled by sample of the various batches produced and the point where they started to knock is what guarantteed the grade (octane) of the batch.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: jbb

kennyblatz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my understanding of octane is that it is a measure of predictability. Higher octane fuel has some light ends removed which means it will have a litlle less btu (energy). This loss is more than offset by having a higher compression engine which relies on a more predictable fuel.

If you have an engined tuned to accept regular fuel, you will get less performance by using higher octane. If you have an engine tuned to require higher octane fuel, using regular will result in premature ignition which will leads to a nice piston collection.

this guy has it
in my stock motor race sled 87 octane got the best power but has higher risk of pre detonation. in your m8 the motor has higher compression so it requires a more stable fuel. seems od but the better the fuel is the less flammable it is in a sense.
secondly a big thing to consider is how old the gas is premium fuel will go bad in about half the time 87 will. ask the station where you fill how often the fuel is changed over in the tanks. more cars use premium now so i dont think its as much of an issue as in the past. dont be worried if one guy has bad luck with shell or petro it could just be the age of fuel at that station

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

this guy has it
in my stock motor race sled 87 octane got the best power but has higher risk of pre detonation. in your m8 the motor has higher compression so it requires a more stable fuel. seems od but the better the fuel is the less flammable it is in a sense.
secondly a big thing to consider is how old the gas is premium fuel will go bad in about half the time 87 will. ask the station where you fill how often the fuel is changed over in the tanks. more cars use premium now so i dont think its as much of an issue as in the past. dont be worried if one guy has bad luck with shell or petro it could just be the age of fuel at that station

Another thing is don't get fuel at the station when the truck is filling the tanks! I laugh at the people getting fuel when the truck is there.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Octane is simply the ability of a fuel to resist detonation, nothing more. It is not a measure of the energy in a fuel, its got more to do with thermodynamic efficiency. Amongst many other things we won't talk about like specific gravity and vapour pressure, plain and simple, the HO motors need higher octane due to the higher compression. The lower the octane, the more volatile components and therefore lower ignition pressures. In higher compression motors, lower octane fuels pre(auto)-ignite off hot spots in the cylinders and when the flame fronts collide, cylinder pressures spike, causing vibration and harmonics to develop (pinging). This is why you will typically see a motor with detonation issues rattle the ring pins loose, the cylinder pressures and vibration usually pop them out first.

Water in fuel, storage tank venting, amongst many other things can cause the RON/MON to drop. If you are getting a knock code when running 91, move to a different 91 or even to 94. Generally you want to burn as low of an octane as possible to for a given compression ratio.

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

many years ago, I was in the petrocan refinery in edmonton and saw the octane testing motors. These motors were fueled by sample of the various batches produced and the point where they started to knock is what guarantteed the grade (octane) of the batch.

good write. i always laugh at ppl that put premium in there toys thinking it gives them more power. another thing ppl should watch for in fuel is things like shelf life. is that station have high or low fuel turn over rates.

Top Bottom