help.

jono.2

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey guys.

i ride a 2004 summit x, 600HO. blew that baby up in Valemount, and am now looking at $3100 to fix that nonsense. Problem is, the sled is only really worth $6000 with a good motor. Is it worth fixing, or am i better off parting it out?

btw, insurance fraud is not really an option i would want to go with. unless of course one of you is willing to steal a sled?

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What's the parts list? What's the labour? What condition is the sled in otherwise? Fix it yourself.
If you like the sled it's a summer project at the very worst
If you dont like the sled, call snowmobile recyclers and congrats on your new sled.:D

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Who quoted the price and exactly what went wrong?
We maybe be able to steer you to someone with a better price structure....maybe.

Please share more...
hey guys.

i ride a 2004 summit x, 600HO. blew that baby up in Valemount, and am now looking at $3100 to fix that nonsense. Problem is, the sled is only really worth $6000 with a good motor. Is it worth fixing, or am i better off parting it out?

btw, insurance fraud is not really an option i would want to go with. unless of course one of you is willing to steal a sled?

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where did you go? Your watching hockey aren't you. Cheer for the Flames BUDDY.:D:D

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey guys.

SORRY DUDE, got off track. Tell everyone whats busted.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would be curious to know what parts are needed for it.. Because that price would be more than putting a whole new shortblock in a rev800..

jono.2

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sorry for leaving you guys hanging.
what happened was, on our last day of riding maybe 500 yards away from the cabin down the trail, the sled just stopped. (like taking the key out).

I looked into the engine compartment, and noticed that one of the plug wires was loose, so i re-attached that and started the sled up again. It sounded a little rough, but i decided to try to ride down a little. 100 yards later it died again. At this point we decided to tow it to the parking lot.

I took it to the place where i bought it from. I deal a fair amount at this place and I am always joking around with the parts and service guys. (read: not somewhere that would rip me off, and they have done a number of favors for me in the past).

they took everything apart, and sent me the estimate. ~$2000 parts, and ~$1000 labour.

the parts list reads: 2 piston assemblies, 2 needle bearings, 1 cylinder with sleeve, 1 cylinder 600HO, 1 gasket set, and 2 piston pins.

Thanks for all the replies.
btw snotrocket, mechanically, this is beyond me... so it would be more like an eight summer project. lol.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, can't you buy a short block 800 for around $2200? That to me sounds too much for parts.

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I blew the motor in my 03 600HO Summit this winter; cause a broken ring; cause of the broken ring the retaining pin that keeps the ring from moving around fell back into the piston. Got away very lucky no head or cylinder wall damage. I orginaly had a quote of ~ $ 1,000.00 to fix with original doo parts. Decided to go with SPI pistons cut the cost of the fix by~$400.00. I know there are some Doo die-hards out there that say I should have gone with original Doo parts but it was a Doo mechanic that said the SPI pistons are on par with DOO. Just out of curosity what was the cause of your engine melt down?? The Doo mechanic told me that the ring problem his has been happening quite alot with the 600 & 800 HO motors. Sounds like you have alot more damage, I would shop around or look into jobber parts. Good luck on your repairs. Where are the 670 motors when you need them they are bullet proof.

Billy Boy:cool:

jono.2

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm really not sure what caused the failure. i haven't spoken with the mechanic, because i was speechless after i heard the quote. He did mention that there was a large hole in the top of the piston. due to the above mentioned speechlessness, I was unable to formulate any real questions.

At this point, i asked the guy who gave me the quote to double check on things.
When this happened to me last year, it was under warranty, and the estimate was only around $1400.

I have also heard many a bad thing about the 600 and 800 HO engines.

jono.2

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks again for all the replies. i'm out for the weekend, but i'll catch this thread on monday.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would ask what the price is for a short block. Because it cant be any more than your parts price already. And you get a new crank and cases on top of your parts list already.. Cant hurt.. Give specialty a call if you want and just get a qoute if you want to see.. Just my thoughts..

jono.2

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks glen.
sorry for the no-reply, i was in Vancouver and i could not access this site from the computer there.
If i get a chance in the next couple of days i will call. Thanks.

Top Bottom