Help please!!

tmurphy

Reaction score
Here is my situation. I have a 21' travel tailer that weighs 3000lbs. I just bought a Rhino (1000lbs). What truck do you recommend to be able to tow the trailer and rhino. I'm thinking of something with a deck. My preferences are gas engine, crew cab. If I lived in AB i would just do the "B" train that I see is allowed there but I'm moving to SK from BC. I prefer Toyota, but from the spec sheets, I don't think you can get a sled deck that will fit in the Crew Max??? Any suggestions/experiences would be appreciated. Thanks.

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well 3000 lbs seems light for a 21 footer. 2 light axles under it i figure your max on the trailer is around 7000 pounds? Guys chime in cause I'm guessing here.
Rhino with gear and fuel for a weekend is probably 1500 pounds
Even a dually with no box and a deck is fully loaded with some, but not allot, of breathing room.

If i hooked on to that with my 2000 cummins dually i would be running about 60 pounds in the bags to stay level.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just sold my '06 1500 ram shortbox QC hemi, and bought an '06 2500 longbox QC diesel.

Truck was seriously screaming trying to pull hills and mileage was horrible hauling rhino in box and towing travel trailer. You are better to have too much truck than too little IMO.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think a toyota is going to safely haul what your listing. If you have 10-15% of your trailer weight as tongue weight plus yourself and one other person in the cab plus the side by side your at (300 + 400 + 1000) 1700lbs easy.

I would think your going to need a 3/4 ton minimum. The gas jobs have more load capacity as the diesels weights quite a bit more.

If your ever going to upgrade your trailer later on I'd go with a 1 ton so your not looking for a new truck with a new trailer. That's a fairly light trailer (must be an ultra light?). It wouldn't take much more trailer to push your tongue weight over 700lbs. Depends on how long you keep your trucks, I guess. I prefer diesel as I'm convinced, over the long run (5-10yrs), it's going to be a cheaper vehicle (depreciation, fuel efficiency, maintenance, etc.).

Lots of good trucks out there these days, my preference in the dmax.

l8r Shawn

Snort

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2008 F350 cc 4x4 V10 that would most likely work very well for you needs. I may part with it if the deal is right.

posnick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In Saskatchewan you can b- train behind another trailer as long as it is a tandem axle. A fifth wheel is not required.

Top Bottom