Has anyone else noticed....

Laker

Reaction score
every time something goes wrong with your sled it is automaticly 1000$. Every time something happens bad I just think oh another grand gone on snowmobiles.
Dont mind me we had a bad year last year with sleds breaking down. Havent rode enough this year to block it out, but we are riding tommorow

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
every time something goes wrong with your sled it is automaticly 1000$. Every time something happens bad I just think oh another grand gone on snowmobiles.
Dont mind me we had a bad year last year with sleds breaking down. Havent rode enough this year to block it out, but we are riding tommorow

Once went on an ATV Poker Rally and we stopped to help a guy who had his Side-by-Side winched up into a tree with a broken axle. Needless to say, he was extremely exasperated...

I very clearly remember him exclaiming, " The only effing thing more effing expensive than quadding is effing snowmobiling!!"

We bought our first snowmobiles that coming winter and it turns out he was soooo right!!

powerteker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I just order parts and fix it myself its ALOT cheaper!!!!!!!!! plus u know it's done right if u do it urself

Octane

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just order parts and fix it myself its ALOT cheaper!!!!!!!!! plus u know it's done right if u do it urself

Fixing it your self is definately the way to go, you learn alot and it saves you quite a bit of money plus your not waiting on a shop or dealer to get it done.
and if it piles up again for the same reason you only have yourself to blame.
Its usually cheaper with trial and error than, biting the bullet and paying 100$/hr shop rate.

Or you just ride a doo and dont worry bout anything piling up...:d

chadwik74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you guys think sledding is a money pit you should try Jetboating......BOAT= Bust Out Another Thousand!

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

IMO, and I follow this rule, if you buy it, learn about it and how it works.

The problem nowadays with new equipment is the complexity of it, but in reality the major change has been electronics which in itself is a whole can of worms, everything else has just been upgraded, improved and has still maintained the original design one way or another.

For a person to wrench, or maintain their own equipment(doesn't matter what it is) they need a proper service manual and, in most cases guidance. Someone to edge them along, offer advice and show them the points goes along way and can lessen than the cost if a different means of repair is needed. Also, having knowledge of your machine gives you an advantage when you look at the bill and enables you to quiz the repair facility about work done if you have to take it in,.. you will be surprised how many people just sign and go without even knowing what was done,.. they are just glad it was fixed.

Another bonus to this is a sense of security while out enjoy a ride,.. for example if something goes wrong with an engine it can only be 3 things, fuel, spark or air.

So help educate someone, one day you might need them :)

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hah! You think a stock sled is expensive to fix try running a turbo. My son is into his for another grand this year and hasn't even ridden it yet! And it was fine when he put it away last spring! :( Sure is fun to ride when it works though!

powerteker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO, and I follow this rule, if you buy it, learn about it and how it works.

The problem nowadays with new equipment is the complexity of it, but in reality the major change has been electronics which in itself is a whole can of worms, everything else has just been upgraded, improved and has still maintained the original design one way or another.

For a person to wrench, or maintain their own equipment(doesn't matter what it is) they need a proper service manual and, in most cases guidance. Someone to edge them along, offer advice and show them the points goes along way and can lessen than the cost if a different means of repair is needed. Also, having knowledge of your machine gives you an advantage when you look at the bill and enables you to quiz the repair facility about work done if you have to take it in,.. you will be surprised how many people just sign and go without even knowing what was done,.. they are just glad it was fixed.

Another bonus to this is a sense of security while out enjoy a ride,.. for example if something goes wrong with an engine it can only be 3 things, fuel, spark or air.

So help educate someone, one day you might need them :)

I don't even have a service manual and I won't need one till I have to tear the motor apart!:d it would be nice to learn from someone who has the experience but I don't know such a person.....so I'm learning as I wreck it!

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't even have a service manual and I won't need one till I have to tear the motor apart!:d

Pardon my expression, but this is where ignorance starts,.. You are waiting for something to happen giving you a reason to buy a service manual.

In my original post I referenced an engine repair as "for example", repairs could pertain to other components.

What about check points of interest, maybe where to look for, for signs of wear. An operators manual is an intro, but a service manual is the beginning and end.

There are a ton of people on the forums willing to help, you just have to ask, even if there is a distance challenge.

powerteker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pardon my expression, but this is where ignorance starts,.. You are waiting for something to happen giving you a reason to buy a service manual.

In my original post I referenced an engine repair as "for example", repairs could pertain to other components.

What about check points of interest, maybe where to look for, for signs of wear. An operators manual is an intro, but a service manual is the beginning and end.

There are a ton of people on the forums willing to help, you just have to ask, even if there is a distance challenge.

well I guess u know everthing about me dont u..:rolleyes:..Ignorance is when someone walks into the dealer gets there sled fixed when they don't even know the problem! I have no problem askin for help but I'm sick of payin 4 it! AS for motors this isn't my frist sled and I know how long a motor should last. I always look for wear and tear like u would when u work on anything I dont need a manual to tell me that thanx :cool: I also use diagrams on the parts sites that i'll call the manual for now.

Last edited:

powderbasher

Reaction score

Yup u play u pay! But it sure is fun. Bottom line, its just that much less u leave behind for your family to feud over :beer:

Laker

Reaction score
Even know it is expensive the way we look at it is its cheaper for a day to run our 3 sleds than it is to go the the movies (unless something breaks). Also it alot more fun to.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Even know it is expensive the way we look at it is its cheaper for a day to run our 3 sleds than it is to go the the movies (unless something breaks). Also it alot more fun to.

I hear that. We (me, wife, and 2 kids) hit the theatre on Saturday. Grand total $78. WTF? We could have easily went out sledding for the day for cheaper, plus I wouldn't have lost 2 hours of my life to Alvin and the Chipmunks.

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i just fix them myself just did a friends 2 sleds over the christmas break saved him over 1000 in labour made a few bucks and i got to work in the shop doing what i like to do better than sitting in front of a tv or wasting my brain power on a ipod,blackberry just do it it's not that hard

Top Bottom