Hard starting 2013 xm etec and dess issue

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been up riding and finding about every5th time I have to pull it 6 pulls or soto start. Anyone else have this problem?
Also I am getting a check key error almost every I
Time I start up the sled. I just wiggle the key and it goes away.
Anyone else experience these problems?

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 2012 e-tec ran fine and then, inexplicably, I had to pull about 40 times for it to start. Seemed to run OK but it seemed...well, different. It was last ride of the season so thought I would wait and see. Started it about 3 times during the off season and seemed to run OK. Started it and went for a 15 minute ride and seemed fine last Monday. On Wednesday, it started but wouldn't idle and ran like it was only on one cylinder. It is at Martin's so I guess we shall see....

SaskSummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 2012 e-tec ran fine and then, inexplicably, I had to pull about 40 times for it to start. Seemed to run OK but it seemed...well, different. It was last ride of the season so thought I would wait and see. Started it about 3 times during the off season and seemed to run OK. Started it and went for a 15 minute ride and seemed fine last Monday. On Wednesday, it started but wouldn't idle and ran like it was only on one cylinder. It is at Martin's so I guess we shall see....

Interested to know what is wrong with your sled. My friends did this in the mountains 2 weeks ago. Seemed to run on 1 but when you mashed it ran fine. We are thinking reeds?

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cuso my guess would be the dess key doesn't have anything to do with the issue of starting hard, you just got sensitive key. But defiantly something not right with it taking 6 pulls to start.

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We were out on the weekend and my buddy Carsehole's new '14 took like 6-7 pulls to start every time. Ran fine once started, no lights or anything but consistent hard starts. Played around with DESS lots but didn't help. I don't know what to think of it. My new '14 started first pull every time.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will post once I get a fix. Dave said there is a bulletin on the Rave so that might be it. Gotta love the 3 year warranty.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You should be able to get the DESS key replaced under warranty

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wonder if The hard starts have something to do with the tps sensor and the throttle blade positions. I know if there is snow jammed in between the throttle, it takes a good 6 pulls to go.

BXP-88

Reaction score
Thats what i noticed with mine snow/ice built up on the end of the throttle block on the handle bar.

cnelson6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So we got mine figured out why it was hard starting. It's a 2014 and when they did the new re flash to show the break in hours it looks like the ecu didn't take the full program. It doesn't show any codes until you plug in the computer and it showed up as a programming fault. We tested it a few times after we set the new program to make sure it took the new software and if seems to have worked. Time will tell I suppose. Hopefully this helps out I know it was very annoying for me!

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interested to know what is wrong with your sled. My friends did this in the mountains 2 weeks ago. Seemed to run on 1 but when you mashed it ran fine. We are thinking reeds?

Finally picked up my 2012 e-tec from Martin's yesterday. I brought t in because it would not idle an sounded like it was running on 1 cylinder. There is apparently a recall on the rave valves and while it was there had the pre-season check done and e-start installed. Turns out I had also bent the left hand lower a-arm (no visible strike - just bowed). Sled purred like kitten.

This morning (-21) started the sled mostly because I have e-start and this requires zero effort. S.O.B sounds like it did when I brought it in (won't idle, missing). Could this be an icing issue? Haven't put fresh fuel in yet but have always used premium no ethanol.

Any suggestions as to first steps?

Winter Brew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Finally picked up my 2012 e-tec from Martin's yesterday. I brought t in because it would not idle an sounded like it was running on 1 cylinder. There is apparently a recall on the rave valves and while it was there had the pre-season check done and e-start installed. Turns out I had also bent the left hand lower a-arm (no visible strike - just bowed). Sled purred like kitten.

This morning (-21) started the sled mostly because I have e-start and this requires zero effort. S.O.B sounds like it did when I brought it in (won't idle, missing). Could this be an icing issue? Haven't put fresh fuel in yet but have always used premium no ethanol.

Any suggestions as to first steps?

Did they check the reeds?
Can you thaw the sled to eliminate any icing problems? Make sure the throttle cable is adjusted correctly and not sticking.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I found out that the DESS issue is a connection problem with the key and post.
If I pushed down, and twisted the key,, it wouldn't make the check key error go on.
The sled does occasionally still be a PITA to start...I flick the throttle before starting and had minimal occurrences, so I hope that's the ticket.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sled is in a heated shop at the neighbors after adding isopropyl deicer. No change after 3 hours so we decided to leave for 24 hours (around 5:00 PM tonight.) Throttle moves freely so doesn't appear to be that. Did they check the reeds. I was under the impression that they wee going to o that but not shown on my invoice. Hopefully is just fuel. I have some fresh fuel and will add once outside of the shop

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sled is in a heated shop at the neighbors after adding isopropyl deicer. No change after 3 hours so we decided to leave for 24 hours (around 5:00 PM tonight.) Throttle moves freely so doesn't appear to be that. Did they check the reeds. I was under the impression that they wee going to o that but not shown on my invoice. Hopefully is just fuel. I have some fresh fuel and will add once outside of the shop

So to close off my sub-thread, After 30 hours in a heated garage with isopropyl alcohol added to the tank as I assumed icing issue, 800 etec still would not idle. Ran it back next door and added some fresh fuel and it totally woke up. Not quite perfect but night and day from where it was. So despite using ethanol free premium fuel and adding stabilizer April 1st to the last quarter tank, the fuel did not last 6 months. I guess I will drain the tank next year in November and add fresh fuel then.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Use sea foam for summer storage in the gas tank.

No water , keeps gas good for way longer.

sent while I should be drinking twisted teas

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Tex. Never had this issue last year so just couldn't see why it should come up now. Runs fine now so Christmas is saved:)

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put a dash of sea foam in every tank.

sent while I should be drinking twisted teas

Top Bottom