XM intermittent hard start

Stevemtb

Reaction score
Hey guys, was out this weekend in some heavy wet snow and had a couple times where my 800 etec wouldn’t start. Eventually found that holding the throttle wide open it would start after 3-5 pulls. Like it’s flooded but not sure if that’s possible. Rode the next day and once the sled was warm/hot I had to do the open throttle thing about half the time. Never had to do this in previous three years I’ve had this sled. Any thoughts on what would cause this or things to check?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Compression test first and also I would check if you have a leaky injector. Not really sure how you could check that without buds system but removing it with fuel pressure in the system should work and see if it’s dripping. It could be leaking fuel into the cylinder while the sled is off

If you have an inline pressure gauge could tee that in as-well to make sure your not seeing drop while
The sled is off

Reactions: RGM

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 13 acted up when it was below say -25. Probably only got there twice in transport as always in heated shop. Ended up being a fuel sending unit that put too much fuel in when first pulled rope. I know that's not the same as your scenario but programing can go either way

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Compression test first and also I would check if you have a leaky injector. Not really sure how you could check that without buds system but removing it with fuel pressure in the system should work and see if it’s dripping. It could be leaking fuel into the cylinder while the sled is off

If you have an inline pressure gauge could tee that in as-well to make sure your not seeing drop while
The sled is off
I tried the fuel pressure thing with mine as well and it held. Changed fuel filter and plugs too. All good places to check.
Just my 2 cents

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd pull the plugs a few pulls into a no-start. See if they are wet, fouled and test for spark.
Are the plugs due for a change anyway? My experience is that they're done by 3500km in the 800. I'd recommend changing the wires at the same time as the plugs. They're relatively cheap, and have been known to fail internally.

Your issue seems temperature related. Could be due to high underhood temps with the warmer weather. In addition to scenarios mentioned above, coils sometimes fail when hot.

vanislerev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if your fuel pump hasnt had the retaining upgrade done it could be leaking out there requiring the several pulls to get the line bled and pressured up again

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it dies going into reverse it is pretty much low compression

Stevemtb

Reaction score
Fack still doing it! Have to hold wide open to start and takes several pulls. Just like it’s flooded. Changed plugs and put different fuel in and it was working great in the garage. Now after I stop on the hill after a few minutes I see the gas starts bubbling in the tank. Not boiling, sounds just like someone blowing air into a drink through a straw. Is there a vent deep down in the tank or what could be forcing air into the tank after I stop? One time I loosened the gas cap and gas burped out the top. Definitely building pressure inside. I’ve blown through the vent line that comes out in front of the clutches and it seems to flow free. Swapped gas caps with a bud and no change to either of our sleds. What else can I check?

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The way you say lately. Your not by chance riding super saturated snow and the exhaust is plugging off?

My cousins turbo xp liked it’s exhaust clear to start as the turbo was already making back pressure

Also a very bad set of reeds could cause issues

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your entire fuel system and tank needs checked over and serviced - take tank out - pump and filter out - inspect - breather line on top rh corner of tank needs inspection - check fuel pressure on both intake fuel line and return line

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk

Top Bottom