Gunna pick up a 2012 gmc duramax slt this weekend!!

tstams

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.crashheadz.com
Anybody have any negatives about this truck or has everybody liked it so far???? Really dont like the emissions garbage but pricing on used duramax trucks are out to lunch so might as well spend a little more and get something I no will be taken care of properly from day one. Reason I didnt go with ford, dont trust there engine yet and pricing was to high, dodge has a very nice interior and love the mega cab but cant get over the front end problems and lack of pulling power. GMC has the best motor tranny combo out there interior is lacking but can get over that,also the best warranty at 100 000 bumper to bumper,160 000 powertrain, 170 000 all diesel components cant beat that!!!!

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
whats that worth , im shopping , always been a ford fan but not happy with the service costs of the new diesels , you can buy a 2012 f350 lariat everything but nav for about 62 ish

tstams

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.crashheadz.com
um it was 58,000 for a fully loaded one but after eveything was looking a 63,000, i actually cancelled that a bought a new dodge couldnt beat the price on the one I found so picking it up tommorow mourning.

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been VERY happy with my DMAX but yes Ive always loved the Cummins mill, Well actually always loved the Cat but hey we cant be sooo lucky. RIP Cat

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been very happy with my 11 Duramax.22,00kms in 9 months and 0 issues.Pulls like a freight train and when empty or lightly loaded still gets 21MPG on HWY @120km/hr.DEF is no big deal just buy Adblue from Napa and keep on hand just like adding windshield washer fluid.I tow a fair bit and love the Exhaust brake ,TowHaul,Manumatic 6 spd.There is something for anyway you want to drive it.I came down from the mountains today with a load of fire wood higher than the roof towing my quad trailer with 2 quads on plus the back of the trailer filled with firewood.I set Tow haul and exhaust brake and crawled down the mountains with hardly ever touching the brakes.I sat in a new Ford and despite what eveyone says I like my interior better.I have the LT with buckets and centre console and it has more room in the front of the console than my 08 LTZ hadI prefer the truck interior to the SUV interior.Truck is a little heavy for around town but a complete beast on the HWY.

Carrots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
whats that worth , im shopping , always been a ford fan but not happy with the service costs of the new diesels , you can buy a 2012 f350 lariat everything but nav for about 62 ish

My old man just bought a 2013 f350 platinum loaded for 73

Sent from a iPhone

dodgeguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If ya bought the dodge....Nice! IMO, best interior and exterior! But wait til the 2013's....all new frames, suspensions, redone front end, slightly revised interiors and exteriors, a power boost, fuel economy increase by way of SCR (DEF) and a new transmission for the 1 tons (which will trickle down to the 3/4 tons by 2014, so rumour has it)

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody have any negatives about this truck or has everybody liked it so far???? Really dont like the emissions garbage but pricing on used duramax trucks are out to lunch so might as well spend a little more and get something I no will be taken care of properly from day one. Reason I didnt go with ford, dont trust there engine yet and pricing was to high, dodge has a very nice interior and love the mega cab but cant get over the front end problems and lack of pulling power. GMC has the best motor tranny combo out there interior is lacking but can get over that,also the best warranty at 100 000 bumper to bumper,160 000 powertrain, 170 000 all diesel components cant beat that!!!!

I agree with you 100%, Ford and Dodge both have a lot nicer interior, but stock, the GM has a better ride and will out tow both Ford and Dodge with little to no power train issues!! IMHO. I have never changed exhaust, air intake, or chipped any of my GM's as I don't like the noise, they have lots of power as is, I have never had any tranny problems and no motor issues under 350k, and by then it's time for injector's. My 2011 pulls a 34' tri axle dually, when loaded it crosses the scales at 17,300 kg, and pulls like a freight train. It has made a couple trips from Calgary to Vancouver and back with that load and the engine brake works very well through the mountains. The exhaust fluid is a nusiance but you get used to it.... As for warranty... I have had only one truck since 03 that has had any issues while on warranty and I have run 6 duramax trucks to date.. Good luck

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i bought a 2011 daneli duramax, and also have a 2007 duramax with a ppe and bigger turbo on it... pulling the same trailer with the 07 i get 5.4 miles beter mileage, as for power hands down to the 07 as well... somewhat disapointed with the mileage and power of the new one... everything else is better thou other than ride

the 2011 does arond 9mpg cdn towing the sled trailer and when you go out to pass, you better have some serious room, the throttle is soft in comparsion, but once pined for a while it comes on... also see a little front end play while towing my heavier rv trailer

beged the dealer to let me get rid of the emmisions crap. but he says its a automatic warrenty void and his hands are tied... there are a few guys that did that and clame 20 plus mpg and much much better power... might have to take the leap this year and do it

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with you 100%, Ford and Dodge both have a lot nicer interior, but stock, the GM has a better ride and will out tow both Ford and Dodge with little to no power train issues!! IMHO. I have never changed exhaust, air intake, or chipped any of my GM's as I don't like the noise, they have lots of power as is, I have never had any tranny problems and no motor issues under 350k, and by then it's time for injector's. My 2011 pulls a 34' tri axle dually, when loaded it crosses the scales at 17,300 kg, and pulls like a freight train. It has made a couple trips from Calgary to Vancouver and back with that load and the engine brake works very well through the mountains. The exhaust fluid is a nusiance but you get used to it.... As for warranty... I have had only one truck since 03 that has had any issues while on warranty and I have run 6 duramax trucks to date.. Good luck

your 17500 kgs with a one ton?

Hefe04

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i bought a 2011 daneli duramax, and also have a 2007 duramax with a ppe and bigger turbo on it... pulling the same trailer with the 07 i get 5.4 miles beter mileage, as for power hands down to the 07 as well... somewhat disapointed with the mileage and power of the new one... everything else is better thou other than ride

the 2011 does arond 9mpg cdn towing the sled trailer and when you go out to pass, you better have some serious room, the throttle is soft in comparsion, but once pined for a while it comes on... also see a little front end play while towing my heavier rv trailer

beged the dealer to let me get rid of the emmisions crap. but he says its a automatic warrenty void and his hands are tied... there are a few guys that did that and clame 20 plus mpg and much much better power... might have to take the leap this year and do it

You may have to check with another dealer cause I believe there are some out there that will pull out the exhaust and urea system and run a tune into it for you and keep the warrenty. Just do some checking around I am not sure which dealers.

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You may have to check with another dealer cause I believe there are some out there that will pull out the exhaust and urea system and run a tune into it for you and keep the warrenty. Just do some checking around I am not sure which dealers.

Any dealer doing that is blowing smoke up your ass. Part of the warranty procedure for powertrain issues is to send in a snap shot of the cal id's stored in the computer. Well.... The newer diesel GM's ( does not apply to gas trucks..... yet) have a global PCM which stores a lot more than just the current cal id. They also want the programming history. So let's say the dealer flashes it back to stock before they do the work...... Great.... except the history screen still stores the aftermarket calibration ID's...... And good luck deleting that.

No dealer will put their ass on the line for you, period.

General Motors Duramax Diesel Engine & Transmission Warranty Issues

There is probably one of the most current bulletins about the issue.

Just tune it and never go back to any GM dealership ever. General Motor's warranty is a bad joke anyhow. Everything is either "Normal" or "Cannot replicate customer condition".

Fun$

Reaction score
Every body thinks their trucks are the best whether its the consumer or the manufacturer. I think they are all junk it just depends whose junk you drive. Buy what you like ,it's your money.

crossfire879

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can get one specially ordered without emissions but it must be a farm registered vehicle or for off road use such as logging trucks. I haven't seen one or know of anyone who has one but I am sure it's not cheap to get one like that.

Pink-Inc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Doug Marshall in Grande Prairie is doing this and claiming warranty approved. Seen brand new trucks pull off the lot with it done

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i was told if you do propane injection their is no way of telling the extra hp because injector pulses and such are not detected

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't about chev dealer, but I know of a couple dodge dealers that if they install, good to go.. Picking up my 2012 tomorrow with H&S mini max and good to go. Lets go tomorrow........

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can get one specially ordered without emissions but it must be a farm registered vehicle or for off road use such as logging trucks. I haven't seen one or know of anyone who has one but I am sure it's not cheap to get one like that.

Um....... New farm equipment also falls under Tier 4 emissions guidelines so I don't see how that is possible. Have you ever seen one, in person? No......... So........

Last edited:

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doug Marshall in Grande Prairie is doing this and claiming warranty approved. Seen brand new trucks pull off the lot with it done

Seen one pull off the lot warranty intact after needing a transmission or engine?

Pretty easy to make that claim if you aren't warranting issues where the calibration issue is needed..... Which is only major powertrain failures for the most part.

I mean Alberta has no emission legislation..... so no one cares if you take it off. But I am pretty sure general motors isn't going to make some exemption for one province.

I would like to see it, in writing from GM's warranty department, and not just some dealership. I don't mind being wrong if it is true but I would like to see it in writing.

And honestly........ if you can afford a $60000 truck, or more, but can't afford a transmission when it dies...... you can't afford the truck either.

Last edited:
Top Bottom