06/07 GM Duramax vs 07/08 Dodge Cummins - which one if you wanted to

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't normally start a thread like this as they go too far off track but I am looking for honest experience on two trucks with different model years I am considering. No, not considering a Ford, and honestly I wouldn't even normally consider a Dodge. I don't want opinions based on what people have heard either, I am looking for guys who put miles on these trucks and can give pros and cons.

The reason I am looking at the late model Classic GM's is the LBZ/LLY having less emission crap, I know I can remove it on later LMM's but GM/Chev hold their value more than the Dodge's or atleast in all my searching they do.

Truck would be a 2500, (I would consider a 3500 in the Dodge), club cab, I know I would gain the factory engine brake in the 08 Dodge's which is nice, but EFI live can give me that on the Duramax.

I don't have a lot of experience with Dodge's other than a little Dakota I owned a number of years ago, nice little truck. I have a lead on a very low mile (40k) 08 Dodge, its a nice clean truck. I looked at an 06 Sierra SLT CC last night, 100k with a little road rash last night. Even has the Stealth Gray paint which I like. Price is okay.

I do like the larger CC space in the GM. But the smaller Dodge CC isn't out of the question either as its just the dog or girlfriend who sits in the back. I like the SLT interior of the GM and am not a fan of the Dodge Laramie leather, it feels cheap.

All Chassis stuff aside, what is the better pairing? LBZ/LLY with the Ally? Or the 6.7 Cummins with their 6 speed? Yeah I know a 5.9 is a great motor as well, but finding low mileage trucks with a 5.9 is near impossible and once you ditch the DPF on the 6.7 you are usually better off.

I am used to the GM IFS, lived with its minor flaws the last several years. Its fine. The doge rides a little rougher unloaded. No big deal.

I don't need a new truck tomorrow, I might hold out and put some pennies away for a NBS GM with the LMM, I would have to put away a lot of pennies to get into a 2011 GM. I am not a fan of the newer Dodge's body style either. I much prefered driving the 08 than my buddies 2011.

thoughts?

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a 07 gm 2500 d.max and love it,no complaints on it,travel with others who have the dodge and the ride in the gm is nicer,less rattles and better fuel economy.all vehicles have there good points and there bad points,it all comes down to what feels the most comfortable to you,all other opinions don't matter

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sell ya my 08 mega cab 3500 110km leather $1200h&s tuner and delets, $1500stainless 4" exhaust ,$2200winter rims tires putco $900stainless box caps, $1000 painted flares, $600 Amsoil bypass filter, $800 air bags with inside control air compressor. 21mpg ish
$37000.00

Last edited:

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sell ya my 08 mega cab 3500 110km leather $1200h&s tuner and delets, $1500stainless 4" exhaust ,$2200winter rims tires putco $900stainless box caps, $1000 painted flares, $600 Amsoil bypass filter, $800 air bags with inside control air compressor. 21mpg ish
$37000.00

Dreeeeam Weaverrrrr

Danny I think you would be happier with the Chev. The dodges in that year have cheap interiors, awful seats, and as you mentioned the CC isn't large enough for an adult. I like the idea of a solid front axle but only if you're on lots of gravel roads, for the hwy the chev's ifs works well. I would recommend staying away from the 07.5 nbs chev. A good friend had one and there were so many electrical issues by 150000km he traded it in on a Ford gasser. Personally I'm a dodge guy but I really don't like the 3rd gen trucks I will keep my 2nd gen until I get a 4th gen.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dreeeeam Weaverrrrr

Danny I think you would be happier with the Chev. The dodges in that year have cheap interiors, awful seats, and as you mentioned the CC isn't large enough for an adult. I like the idea of a solid front axle but only if you're on lots of gravel roads, for the hwy the chev's ifs works well. I would recommend staying away from the 07.5 nbs chev. A good friend had one and there were so many electrical issues by 150000km he traded it in on a Ford gasser. Personally I'm a dodge guy but I really don't like the 3rd gen trucks I will keep my 2nd gen until I get a 4th gen.

I was just comparing prices on Kijiji trucks on there with more miles for more $$$ but I guess you've seen my truck and have a valid opinion on the condition its in !! Pull your head out of your a$$ and shop around! I shopped for a longggg time to fine a 3500 that wasn't beat to death. Just cause trucks are cheaper on the net do sent mean they are the same ..... I begg you to find a get off you moms computer and go look! Lots of 3500's in Alberta are used hard. So you will find cheaper trucks but I garantee it won't be cheaper in the long run. Plus I never said price was firm!

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dreeeeam Weaverrrrr

You don't like the 3rd gen trucks? I like my 3rd gen way better than my 4th gen. Given a choice, I prefer driving my 03, over my 09.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had lb7,lly,lbz,now lmm for duramaxes and here are my thoughts: LB7 I had was great made sweet power fuel mileage was great, I never had injector problems but knew of the problems on the LB7. The LB7 is the motor that most diesel builders prefer to use for the chevy.

LLY- Wasnt as happy with this motor compared to my LB7 as i went through a head gasket and a bank of injectors. fuel mileage was ok and it made decent power but i wouldnt go back to this motor.

LBZ-I loved my LBZ! No injector or head stud issues minimal emmissions crap to delete. The lbz come with a bit bigger injector than the the LMM has. My mileage was usually 20-24 mpg unloaded on hwy and truck with just chip intake and exhaust had no problems getting the 38's to light up. The power was really aggressive when you punched it you got slammed into your seat. This is still my favourite motor!

LMM Good motor smaller injectors than the LBZ and of course tons of emmissions on them. Once the emmissions junk is off the motor seams to be really strong especially with proper tunning. My mileage is really up and down with this truck compared to my LBZ.

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was just comparing prices on Kijiji trucks on there with more miles for more $$$ but I guess you've seen my truck and have a valid opinion on the condition its in !! Pull your head out of your a$$ and shop around! I shopped for a longggg time to fine a 3500 that wasn't beat to death. Just cause trucks are cheaper on the net do sent mean they are the same ..... I begg you to find a get off you moms computer and go look! Lots of 3500's in Alberta are used hard. So you will find cheaper trucks but I garantee it won't be cheaper in the long run. Plus I never said price was firm!

And lots of people sit on there used stuff for ages looking at it because they have it priced way too high too..... Kijiji is a great place to find that.

Lots of 3500's are not used hard too.... I would say lower $30's asking would put you closer in the ballpark. But hey, ask whatever you want. You never know.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The cummins is a solid choice forsure and it is tough to go wrong with a cummins! But an allsion compared to a 68rfe there is no comparison the allison dominates it! The 68rfe was built on a budget base not a true hp torque base like other transmissions. Even when doing rebuild kits on the 68rfe they are having issues keeping the trans together. The cummins motor is amazing but the trans is absolute garbage. Myself if i was looking for another truck i would find a good classic lbz! I know of one with just over 200,000 motor is stock just has levelling kit w/rims and tires the guy is asking $25,000

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And lots of people sit on there used stuff for ages looking at it because they have it priced way too high too..... Kijiji is a great place to find that.

Lots of 3500's are not used hard too.... I would say lower $30's asking would put you closer in the ballpark. But hey, ask whatever you want. You never know.
I thought $35 was fair for a truck with four new tires and new rims, plus all the extras. But makes me laugh how people see 2008 $37000 and end their option there. I'm not erogant enough to judge a price of a truck without even seeing it. But hay I'm no cyle! So the best advice I can pass along to ya is Make Dam sure ya don't buy my truck it's junk and way over priced!

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought $35 was fair for a truck with four new tires and new rims, plus all the extras. But makes me laugh how people see 2008 $37000 and end their option there. I'm not erogant enough to judge a price of a truck without even seeing it. But hay I'm no cyle! So the best advice I can pass along to ya is Make Dam sure ya don't buy my truck it's junk and way over priced!

Wow, way to overeact bud. No one is saying your truck is junk..... Yikes. Market value comes into play here too, and extra's...... I personally won't much more for them. You can say what you like but I never get anything worth worrying about more when I sell for for "extra's". Condition and cleanliness. And yes if it's clean, and well taken care of with documentation in the private market you will be above the rest.

The problem with asking too much is it can deter people as they know you won't move on it anyways..... And I wouldn't doubt just probably get all pi$$ed off and insulted.

But hey, like I originally said, ask whatever you want, lol.

Last edited:

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
honestly a 2008 for 37000 really isnt badly priced at all! considering there are 2010's online for over $44,000 and they are pretty high miled!

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't normally start a thread like this as they go too far off track but I am looking for honest experience on two trucks with different model years I am considering. No, not considering a Ford, and honestly I wouldn't even normally consider a Dodge. I don't want opinions based on what people have heard either, I am looking for guys who put miles on these trucks and can give pros and cons.

The reason I am looking at the late model Classic GM's is the LBZ/LLY having less emission crap, I know I can remove it on later LMM's but GM/Chev hold their value more than the Dodge's or atleast in all my searching they do.

Truck would be a 2500, (I would consider a 3500 in the Dodge), club cab, I know I would gain the factory engine brake in the 08 Dodge's which is nice, but EFI live can give me that on the Duramax.

I don't have a lot of experience with Dodge's other than a little Dakota I owned a number of years ago, nice little truck. I have a lead on a very low mile (40k) 08 Dodge, its a nice clean truck. I looked at an 06 Sierra SLT CC last night, 100k with a little road rash last night. Even has the Stealth Gray paint which I like. Price is okay.

I do like the larger CC space in the GM. But the smaller Dodge CC isn't out of the question either as its just the dog or girlfriend who sits in the back. I like the SLT interior of the GM and am not a fan of the Dodge Laramie leather, it feels cheap.

All Chassis stuff aside, what is the better pairing? LBZ/LLY with the Ally? Or the 6.7 Cummins with their 6 speed? Yeah I know a 5.9 is a great motor as well, but finding low mileage trucks with a 5.9 is near impossible and once you ditch the DPF on the 6.7 you are usually better off.

I am used to the GM IFS, lived with its minor flaws the last several years. Its fine. The doge rides a little rougher unloaded. No big deal.

I don't need a new truck tomorrow, I might hold out and put some pennies away for a NBS GM with the LMM, I would have to put away a lot of pennies to get into a 2011 GM. I am not a fan of the newer Dodge's body style either. I much prefered driving the 08 than my buddies 2011.

thoughts?

I love my mega cab the extra room is awesome. The 6.7 or 5.9 is not a issue IMO it pulls hard and have never had a problem or worry. Great motor. The jake brake is one of the reasons I bought the truck. But lots of those in the aftermarket. The ride of a dodge 3500 can b cured by a call to HRT. The tranny is the weakest link if you treat it like a rental. It will last if you take care of it but it is not even close it the same class as a ally. The same could be said about the Dmax. If you take care of it and treat and filter your fuel well it will last you along time. IMO the Dmax well any of them don't like h2o in the fuel but Dmax hates it.
I had a 05 Dmax 2500 loved it. Camparing the interior to my Mc the gmc wins but the MC wins over for space. I use the floor behind the drivers seat as a covered truck box its amazing how much u can pack back there. So with a 2.5 year old and all the toys he needs to pack around its perfect. That said I'm selling it due to I need a Dually so I'm probably going with a 09 gmc/ chev. I don't think you'll be disappointed with ether. 06/07 gmc might be alittle cheaper nice truck. IMO buy a 3500 no matter which way u go. It rides the same and you will glad u went bigger. I swore I would never need a 3500 SRW...2years later I'm a Dually fan!!!

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks the for input, I am glad the truck guys who I know actually know trucks responded.

The only reason I somewhat took a megacab off my list is the payload restrictions. Feel free to correct me, but a megacab with a deck and two sleds with everything else is over the gvwr. (especially when you add on slightly larger tires and 4 8" HID offroad lights)

Yes I am still planning on staying with a 6.5' box and the deck, current deck is the 8' but going to go with a 6'5 and 2' extension. Lets keep the overhang discussions to a minimum, I know what is legal and what isn't and I try to stay on the good side of most things.

This truck is still going to be my daily driver and hauler, summer is hauling the little trailer, winter, the sleds, daily working is unloaded. I don't mind doing a little tuning to get me some mileage or some extra ponies with the flick of a switch. I don't need or want 650 rwhp.

jared - I was down in Pincher Cr last weekend, I looked for your shop, I only found 3 liquor stores? :rolleyes: I actually could have picked up a fully loaded LB7 with 100K for $20,000 last week, but I think I like the idea of the 6 speed, the electric shifter and being able to get a sunroof in the 06/07's. The 06 I was looking at was $23k.

bnorth - I like the idea of the solid axle as well and we do travel quite a few logging roads, offroad to a point with the trailer and such during the winter. The trailer has 13" of ground clearance for a reason :)

I think right now I am %75 GM %25 Dodge. I rarely hear about any issues with the Cummins and know several people who love theirs. I also know several people with Duramax's, I do like how the V8 makes power compared to the 6 cyl. Maybe it is just something to get used to.

The only reason I wouldn't go with a 3500 in the Classic GM's is you have to get a 8' box. Maybe a NBS GM 3500 will be what I hold out for.

Adrenaline Addiction

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO, the 07 Classic LBZ is the best of the Dmax's. It has the high output LBZ motor, 6 spd Alison and has none of the emissions/uria crap on it. I have an 07 classic with 350000 oilpatch kms, it has been the best truck I have ever owned. I just did the first front end approx 15000 kms ago. (3 of balljoints were still good, just cracked seals, so replaced anyway) Prior to that, I have done very little, alternator, a set of leaky tranny lines, both front hub assemblys and a couple sets of rear brakes. No BS, I just replaced the original front brake pads approx 5000 kms ago. If I have to replace this truck, I am going to replace it with another 07. It pulls my sled trailer and 5th wheel through BC like fug all. My 5th wheel is 11500 lbs empty. I plan on putting over 500K on it. I recently had it in to have the fuel pumps, injectors, etc checked, all pressures within spec.

I also have an 08 Dmax with 150000 kms, it is a decent truck, I just prefer to drive the 07. I am way more comfortable and I think it outperforms the 08. Neither are chipped, they both pull what I want them to. I love the Allison 6 spd tranny, they work awesome. The 07 Classic has the LBZ 360hp/650 ft/lbs torque motor, the 08 has the LMM 365 hp/650 ft/lbs torque motor with DPF. I have raced them a couple times side by side and the 07 Classic walks away every time. Towing my 5th wheel, they feel similar at highway speed. The 08 seems to have more turbo lag, I think it has something to do with the DPF? I might chip the 08 to cut out the DPF, might wake it up a bit. I'd pay 30K for an 07 with 100000 kms or less if it was well looked after. Sorry for the long winded. ;)

Adrenaline Addiction

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had lb7,lly,lbz,now lmm for duramaxes and here are my thoughts: LB7 I had was great made sweet power fuel mileage was great, I never had injector problems but knew of the problems on the LB7. The LB7 is the motor that most diesel builders prefer to use for the chevy.

LLY- Wasnt as happy with this motor compared to my LB7 as i went through a head gasket and a bank of injectors. fuel mileage was ok and it made decent power but i wouldnt go back to this motor.

LBZ-I loved my LBZ! No injector or head stud issues minimal emmissions crap to delete. The lbz come with a bit bigger injector than the the LMM has. My mileage was usually 20-24 mpg unloaded on hwy and truck with just chip intake and exhaust had no problems getting the 38's to light up. The power was really aggressive when you punched it you got slammed into your seat. This is still my favourite motor!

LMM Good motor smaller injectors than the LBZ and of course tons of emmissions on them. Once the emmissions junk is off the motor seams to be really strong especially with proper tunning. My mileage is really up and down with this truck compared to my LBZ.

What did you run for a chip on your LMM? Curious to hear what people are happy with? I get a a pretty consistent 18 mpg with my LBZ. I drive alot of gravel, idle quite a bit, and do lots of stops and starts. I have no idea what I get for mileage unloaded. I never seem to go anywhere without a trailer.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 08 seems to have more turbo lag, I think it has something to do with the DPF? I might chip the 08 to cut out the DPF, might wake it up a bit. I'd pay 30K for an 07 with 100000 kms or less if it was well looked after. Sorry for the long winded. ;)

unless its a warranty concern, I would delete the DPF all together, go with a downpipe back exhaust. You won't gain a huge amount with the exhuast, but if you do chip it and turn off the egr you will see better performance.

I am fairly versed in what I could do to a Duramax and have seen first hand what works and what doesn't. I have a very small list of items I would do to one. I am not sure I would pay $30k for an 07, but I know there is one down the road from me at a dealer, loaded with 145,000 for just under that.

The only thing I would run in a dirtymax is EFI live. I know people who run the programmers and can just buy a license.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hahahahaha yeah pincher creek loves there booze! my shop is tricky to find right now cause of construction but i'm directly behind the yamaha store in an orange building.

in my LMMI'm currently running custom efi tuning from nick @ duramaxtuner.com. He built the tuning around a stock turbo stock tranny and i'm loving it! different powercompared to my lbz. My Lbz was a throw you in the seat hold you there kind of power while this lmm just keeps pulling and pulling until you look down and the speedo is buried hahahaha. i love the 06/07 they had a bit bigger injector then the lmm's now have so with a big lift pump these trucks really wake up! there little things you can do the lbz that wont void warranty and really wake them up you can do the 3.5" downpipe and the afe turbo mouth piece with the bd manifold and it really makes these trucks breathe a lot better and no chip needed!

Ya it's nice when the guys who own these trucks chime in. I'm not sure on the GVW on the mega cab so I wont try and answer that question. I hear ya on the front end parts yes I do have beefy pitman and idler arms and tierods but other than that bone stock and they take a pounding!

Thanks for the kind words on the knowing of suspension I take my accessory store quite serious and i'm trying to learn more and more I know A LOT on performance and a bit on suspension but kevin at HRT is a bloody wizard when it comes to thatstuff he even built my LLY and damn that truck had a super strong and tight front end.

Top Bottom