Sell me on which brand of used truck

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So it's nearing the end of summer. We haven't had any Poo v Doo debates that I know of so I figured let's open the door to the next best thing GM vs Dodge. Let's get things straight here though, Ford is not in the running. Absolutely no Ford.

So what I am looking at: model years 2011+, full load diesel HD trucks, 2500 or 3500 doesn't matter. This is a sled hauling, summer traveller, daily driver.

Price point based on searching lands me in that model year range based on all option trucks.

GM I am happy with the drive train, happy with the body style, my current gasser LTZ suits me fine minus the fact that it has a stupid small fuel tank and hauling sleds on the deck makes that 6.0 work hard all the time.

Dodge, well some friends have them and love them, some have them and hate them. Obviously the motor is bullet proof, the front ends hit and miss but my GM's haven't been much better although am told they changed the GM fronts design on the newer ones.

Deletes, less assume all things equal both trucks are stock. Deletes would be done at some point. Stock height, or levelled, not lifting it.

Pricing, well that's debatable, I have seen a $12000 variance in AB on the exact same truck with the same Kms and options. I actually was set on picking up a 11 Denali HD this week for $34k which was the cheapest full load truck listed anywhere and it sold 30 mins before I got there. Deals come and go, I am more than patient.

So aside from getting a Duramax so I can have cool Dirtymax emblems put on it or Dodge the father ram the daughter decals put on the Ram, what sells whatever truck more than the other?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Allison transmission is a HUGE selling point, and a HUGE difference in MY opinion. I've HEARD that the Dodge's tranny's are a weak point. I do drive an '11 Denali HD tho, so I may be biased. That being said, if I were to buy a brand new one today, it'd be a Dodge. As of '14/'15 the GM's have gone FUGLY!! Those Mega Cabs are pretty awesome.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've owned a few Dodges. If I was in the market for an HD truck right now I would give the GM a shot. Downsides for the GM are small wheel wells, all levelling kits basically suck and ruin the ride advantage of the IFS, and they seem to go for a lot more money than a Dodge for Laramie vs LTZ.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dan, you know my thoughts but for others, I did like the supposively "junk transmission" that my 10 Dodge had. It shifted well and never let me down even with lots of chipped power. I now have the new Asin transmission in my 2015 Ram and it is Not quite as smooth and shifts up and down way more. The funny thing is when I had the 2008 GMC it was the Allison that I did not like. No problems other than leaky tranny lines but it shifted down hard and would not shift up when I wanted. It was speed sensitive rather than load sensitive so unless you hit 90 kms/hr it would not shift up even if totally unloaded. Maybe they are better now??

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
We work on and service lots of trucks, of all makes and variations, and if keeping stock without lifts etc, i would be going with either the dodge megacab(like x-treme said - he's another gearhead like myself) or the chebby..... Fords have come a long way, but moreso in the last couple years, to catch fargo and chebby/gmc....

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't mind the look at either newer Dodge or GM trucks. Both exteriors and interiors are fine with me. And I am not buying brand new so no worries in the newest MY.

Levelling the GM's actually tends to improve the IFS. Not running them on the bump stops and running proper length shocks really smooths them out when not going to far off stock geometry. There are decent aftermarket fixes for both GM and Dodge front ends as well.

Hmmm

Allison yes a plus, the Dodge trannys appear to be fine in the newer trucks. It's not like it's the 48RE with crappy bands.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^^^^
Levelling the newer 2011 plus 2500 - 3500 GM or Chev. Effects the ride to the negative side unless you change upper control arms.
Been their done that with 2012 3500.
Switched to 4 inch and much better.
My experience anyway.

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You pretty much nailed all the pros and cons in your original post. I won't be giving the Dodge diesel another chance for a long time. Front end issues, 68rfe rubber band tranny that can't handle anything above a mild tune and weak power compared to the GM. But much nicer interior on them compared to GM's even in Denali trim. Also you can fit more rubber under the Dodge with an equivalent lift vs the Dmax.

My vote is the GM.

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i run a duramax over 335,000kmh on unit,no major issues just regular maintence,truck runs strong. ran my truck and another guy with dodge hauling same size enclosed trailer with same amount of sleds,the dodge was harder on fuel, suspension squatted until he installed air bags. i see more dodge transmission problems than gm and ford combined. my opinion is gm,the duramax and allison combination works great,mine and my brothers both have had no issues,dont need air bags ,winter is either enclosed sled trailer or sled deck and truck rides great either way

dodgeram18

Reaction score
im selling my 2012 ram 3500 6.7 ctd. great truck but i no longer need the big diesel and it can be yours for a fair price. $48,500 obo
102,000 km crew cab short box laramie lifted. deleted dpf, unplugged and shut off egr, intake, exhaust, mild tuner, 2 sets rims and rubber.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You would hate to see what VMR retail and wholesale pricing is on your truck.

Retail on your truck is only $40-43k max at the dealers. Pricing is skewed right now as there are lots asking more than they are worth and so many guys trying to get from under neath their loans. Obviously value is in the eye of the beholder but I would imagine the higher prices trucks are not moving. There is a dealer South of Calgary sitting on a truck exact options as yours with less Km for less money. He is hoping someone South of the border buys it. Been on the lot almost 2 months. He won't budge a dollar of $43k.

As I mentioned, I am patient and can wait for the right deal.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2011 Duramax and have a few dodges in the family, 2010, 2012 and 2013. The 2010 has had an a lot of small issues, u-joints and several electronic issues while having under 100k, nowhere as reliable as his old 2007 5.9 and has way less power than my dmax. The 2012 has had no issues that I'm aware of but has under 40k. 2013 has had a ton of electronic related issues and was in the shop several times in his first year but gets real good mileage... Seems like the dodges are hit and miss on that kinda stuff, you got a good one or bad one.

If you're looking for a solid reliable truck I'd put my cash on a dmax, pretty good prices on used stuff now that the new body style is out but shares the same power train. If you're more into a fancy interior the dodge wins hands down. After owning 2 dodges before this truck my general conclusion is that Dodge does not build as high quality trucks as GM. My 2cents anyway, good luck, you're gonna have no problems finding a good deal in this economy.

Top Bottom