Time to decide on what the new rig should be. Any help?

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I got rid of my 5.9 cummins due to the small cab. It time for a new truck and I'm torn on what way I should go? Ive been seriously considering a 6.7 power stroke, but im scared to pull the trigger because of all the issues ford use to have. The 6.7 Cummins is always a great upgrade but there's the head gasket failures and the transmission are not the greatest. And then there is the infamous duramax that is usually way overpriced and usually comes with some sort of wiring gremlins. I am looking for a 2010 or newer rig and im looking at spending between 30 and 45, I figure should get me a pretty good truck. any help with pros and cons with all the rigs to help me narrow it down would be greatly appreciated. LETS TRY NOT TO START A BRAND WAR here, just looking for info.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pick the unit that best fits your needs MSM, as you will be the person owning and driving it.

I picked a large 4 door unit that incorporates sleeping quarters in the back seat, and has taken me all across Canada and most of the US of A,,, 11 years running.

Gas motor, auto tranny, 1000 watt generator to power up the office, full time kitchen, living room, and communication system,,, the home away from home when working where I work,,, and play when the time comes.

Doo-noo what you do MSM, but I call my unit the second house to live where I'm at in North America, and it has served well. this unit and the one before it has given me 18 years of Western/ Eastern Canada on many trips, and a chance to get away for a full year in 2014/15.

Been free lance all my life, and no way to change what works for me since the truck of choosing and my self have lived 7 or 12 life times seeing many places and folks in all 4 corners of a round planet.

Pal Lem living the dream and the unit of my choosing.

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been ford pretty much forever, the 6.7 is strong and reliable you will be happy with it, my riding partner has a duramax and has been for ever, has driven mine and is impressed. I have driven his and same thing, only thing I like is ford has more leg room than the other 3 , my knees dam near hit the dash on the rest but acres of room in the ford.

Check out the fords because they have 0 % financing on the super duty , I have a 16 coming, want to get one before the aluminum body and all the extra sensors come in.

good luck but really hard to go wrong with either brand

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been ford pretty much forever, the 6.7 is strong and reliable you will be happy with it, my riding partner has a duramax and has been for ever, has driven mine and is impressed. I have driven his and same thing, only thing I like is ford has more leg room than the other 3 , my knees dam near hit the dash on the rest but acres of room in the ford.

Check out the fords because they have 0 % financing on the super duty , I have a 16 coming, want to get one before the aluminum body and all the extra sensors come in.

good luck but really hard to go wrong with either brand
Does that 0% financing include diesels? I don't think any of the manufacturers offered that. More on topic I think any of the new trucks are great, I don't like the small tank in the ford's but the rest of it is really nice.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 10 duramax and it is my second one. I have had zero issues with either truck. My brother in law is a die hard Ford guy. Loves his 6.7. I think the cab space comment is accurate. The Ford feels bigger inside. Both excellent trucks that are plenty capable.

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does that 0% financing include diesels? I don't think any of the manufacturers offered that. More on topic I think any of the new trucks are great, I don't like the small tank in the ford's but the rest of it is really nice.

Small tank is only in the short boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put an aftermarket tank in place of the factory. 180 liters. Great range now.

crossfire879

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you used to own a 5.9 then the ride probably doesn't really bother you lol. I own a duramax and my good buddy a Ford. We take turns driving fort Mac to valemount. His is a 13 and mine a 15, just recently traded from a 12 duramax. The Ford had more room than my 12 but not more than my 15. I understand you won't get a 15 for your price range. The Ford rides noticeable rougher. Even my 12 duramax rode nicer with a leveling kit and 35s. We take his enclosed trailer and both trucks pull it about the same and both have tons of power being chipped. He has a titan tank in his, 230ish? liters. Mine is stock 130L. Drive them all and see which one you like.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Small tank is only in the short boxes.

Thanks I wasn't aware of that. My experience with a new Ford was with my uncles short box and a heavy trailer in the mountain so it was quite thirsty. Good to know the long boxes have more capacity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I got rid of my 5.9 cummins due to the small cab. It time for a new truck and I'm torn on what way I should go? Ive been seriously considering a 6.7 power stroke, but im scared to pull the trigger because of all the issues ford use to have. The 6.7 Cummins is always a great upgrade but there's the head gasket failures and the transmission are not the greatest. And then there is the infamous duramax that is usually way overpriced and usually comes with some sort of wiring gremlins. I am looking for a 2010 or newer rig and im looking at spending between 30 and 45, I figure should get me a pretty good truck. any help with pros and cons with all the rigs to help me narrow it down would be greatly appreciated. LETS TRY NOT TO START A BRAND WAR here, just looking for info.

If your looking at those years then the only one that does not require urea is the dodge. The 6.7 head gaskets blowing was due to chips being turned up to high and ive heard of no issues with the dodge tranny without a chip installed. All of the Big three have there pros and cons. The 6.7 ford is a great engine paired toa very nice tranny, but for some reason when there is a load in the box the ford looks like its sacked out. the chev is a great truck if you like the front end and the duramax is not known to be reliable with high miles on the engine. this is just my opinion so I guess it boils down to being able to find a truck in your price range that has been looked after and you'll be happy with it.

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

08 was the last time ford ran 0 % on diesels , ordered mine in February on it, I plumbed in a 225 litre jockey tank now I get approx 2k km to a tank.

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info boys. lots of good feed back from the new 6.7 fords hey? I guess we will se what I can find. I did find a 2012 6.7 cummins long box slt with 28000k listed for 41 thousand. would that be a deal worth looking into or do you guys thinks that a little high? Im not to sure what the prices should be but I will say it deff does seem like most of the dealerships and some private sales want a bit my for their trucks? am I wrong?

crashidy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Used vehicle prices are a bit inflated right now as many of the dealers are making money on sending units stateside. That leaves us with higher prices on used trucks especially the larger diesels.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Used vehicle prices are a bit inflated right now as many of the dealers are making money on sending units stateside. That leaves us with higher prices on used trucks especially the larger diesels.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk
Yea that's what I thought... some of the prices are crazy

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just watch for the right deal, it will come, I figure my 13 with 150k is worth about 45, but it's spoken for. Some deals will come along soon enough.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My last truck was an 07 Dodge 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie quad cab with a 6.7 Cummins and 68RE auto. This was my work truck, and after 248000 km I replaced front and rear brake pads, front axle u-joints, and a front drive shaft. This truck was either travelling to remote oilfield locations, driving off-road, or pulling a trailer that weighed 13000#, and / or a combination of the three. I ran synthetic oil from new, and serviced the transmission every 50000km, front and rear differentials & transfer case every 30000 km, averaged 17 mpg over the course of its life. I sold it in 2014 for $22000 and bought the same truck in a 2014, my second choice would have been the Ford 6.7, as I know a few folks that have had good luck with them. I only know 2 guys with Duramax diesels (a 2013 & 2014), the trucks have been good with the exception of the urea systems failing on both, these pickups are grocery getters and not used for work. Stay clear of trucks with big lift kits and over sized tires, or those that have been chipped for the most part - usually they have been driven hard, and the lift kits accelerate front end component wear and have odd handling traits. Just my 2 cents.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am bias towards Dodge, my dad drilled in the fact dodge is the best from the day born lol. But it's hard to beat the cummins motor! I haven't heard of to many bad things about the Ford 6.7, I think they got the emissions figured out the best if you are not planning on deleting.

I seen in the paper new dodge dually listed for $39000 for a slt. I figure that seams pretty good!

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well if I was to get into a 6.7 Cummins again I would be getting a long box quad cab because its sole purpose in life is to haul sleds for me. that being said I came from a dodge and I had to put some work into my 5.9 but for the most part it never really left me high any dry. The reason I was considering a 6.7 power stroke was due to all the bells and whistles they have compared to the dodge. I feel like the interiors are much better quality wise. what ever way I do decide to go. I will end up putting a nice carli lift in it and deleting all emissions rite off the bat along with a nice set of beefy head studs. I figure just get it all done at once and call it a day.

Top Bottom