Groooming equipment question

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody grooming with one of these BR100's? Is it big enough to move a little snow and tow a small drag? I'm looking at it for the Moyie club. We have basically no money, so a bigger/newer one is not really an option for us unless someone is giving one away.

br100.JPG

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know a few people who have the older Bombi's like that (Pre-BR100 designation) and they do alright with a smaller drag (Approx. 6 ft). Is this one a gas or a Diesel? I know there are a few of them around the countryside and just recently I've seen a few that have been in good shape locally up for sale.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know a few people who have the older Bombi's like that (Pre-BR100 designation) and they do alright with a smaller drag (Approx. 6 ft). Is this one a gas or a Diesel? I know there are a few of them around the countryside and just recently I've seen a few that have been in good shape locally up for sale.

This one's gas, and it's for sale. I'm not as concerned about pulling a drag as I am with pushing some snow. I can build a drag that can be towed by a sled, so the cat will do it for sure. We have some higher elevation road sections that get wind drifted now because of recent logging that we need to try to level up. Just wondering if I'd be wasting my time with a small machine.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
not sure how much success you would have levelling it looks like its not a 6 way blade just up and down?

Yes, as Sean says, you need at least a 6-way blade to build your roads. The road needs to be flat so the SnowCat can travel and not slide off the road. So the drifted part needs to be cut and pushed to the low side. What is the weight of the SnowCat and the size of the grouzers?

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, as Sean says, you need at least a 6-way blade to build your roads. The road needs to be flat so the SnowCat can travel and not slide off the road. So the drifted part needs to be cut and pushed to the low side. What is the weight of the SnowCat and the size of the grouzers?

24" tracks and I think around 3100 lbs. 4 cylinder Ford industrial gas, 5 speed manual. It has a 2 way blade (up, down, left, right) but 4 way capable hydraulic system, so I'm pretty sure I can modify the blade and add some cylinders to do the cutting thing. Sure wish we had some more money. Tough doing this on a shoestring budget.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
24" tracks and I think around 3100 lbs. 4 cylinder Ford industrial gas, 5 speed manual. It has a 2 way blade (up, down, left, right) but 4 way capable hydraulic system, so I'm pretty sure I can modify the blade and add some cylinders to do the cutting thing. Sure wish we had some more money. Tough doing this on a shoestring budget.

It should work with a little patience. Patience is easier than money sometimes. With grouzers that size and only weighing that much it will sit on top and you should be able to grade a little. You may not push mega amounts of snow but it would be a start. Good luck.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Give me a call when I get back from Victoria Moyie. I might have an idea that would work for you! I'll be back from Caribou talks on Tuesday.

:D

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We had one of those back east for grooming the trails, it did pretty good, ours was a gas as well. I can't remember if the one we had used a 6 way or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well that one's sold......but the more I think about it, the more I like the portability of the small cat. We have 2 riding areas about a 5km drive down the hiway from each other. Being able to move it easily ourselves might be a handy feature. Like Fernie says.....patience will probably go a long way for moving the amount of snow we need to. Think I'll keep my eyes open for another one that size.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Well that one's sold......but the more I think about it, the more I like the portability of the small cat. We have 2 riding areas about a 5km drive down the hiway from each other. Being able to move it easily ourselves might be a handy feature. Like Fernie says.....patience will probably go a long way for moving the amount of snow we need to. Think I'll keep my eyes open for another one that size.

This aspect of grooming has to start with small steps. There is no way in hell that a club has enough start-up money to get into grooming with a Cadilac. I have been around the start-up of grooming for two clubs and both were started with private money because someone saw a need. Both clubs struggled and emerged. It is the nature of the beast!

You have to fit the SnowCat to your situation and bigger isn't always better. Transporting, bridge width, storage, maintenance, and volunteers all go hand in hand. I think you have the right idea Ken and in a few more years we will be able to go to Moyie and ride a groomed trail!

oodiks

Reaction score
Have a 1995 LMC 3700C
14 Foot wide
6Way blade
comes complete wit 14 foot tiller

Located in Golden, was used when grooming was in infant stages in Golden..groomer was used in Gorman and Quartz

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If it wont work for your club let me know. Our club needs a bigger unit. that would work for us. Thanks

BR100 would work for us. Any more for sale out there

Last edited:

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a 1995 LMC 3700C
14 Foot wide
6Way blade
comes complete wit 14 foot tiller

Located in Golden, was used when grooming was in infant stages in Golden..groomer was used in Gorman and Quartz

That's about twice as wide as most of our trails! :yikes: Thanks but, no.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Grooming can be a lot more expensive then most small clubs tend to realize. Im not sure of you numbers or level of funding but if its just in the infant stage have you thought about just renting or hiring private? Maintenance and fuel can be a hassle, if you don't have parts ready so on and on. Like someone else had mentioned most jr clubs start with private $$$ and 100% volunteers.

send me a PM and I can give you some names and numbers for the folks that do our grooming, they might be able to steer you in the right direction or at least provide some tips.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Grooming can be a lot more expensive then most small clubs tend to realize. Im not sure of you numbers or level of funding but if its just in the infant stage have you thought about just renting or hiring private? Maintenance and fuel can be a hassle, if you don't have parts ready so on and on. Like someone else had mentioned most jr clubs start with private $$$ and 100% volunteers.

send me a PM and I can give you some names and numbers for the folks that do our grooming, they might be able to steer you in the right direction or at least provide some tips.

Renting or hiring is out of the question. With only about 30 members we really have no money. Looking at what some other clubs are going through lately I'm leaning toward not grooming now anyway. Seems the more you groom, the more traffic you get, so you have to groom more, then your traffic goes up, then.......well, you get the idea.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
th_lot636%20(5).JPG

Would this help? lol Auction ends tomorrow, hopefully it stays low enough that i can buy it. My employer is selling it at an auction sale, and i've ran that dozer so what better of a d8 to buy except one with rebuilt motor, transmission, and new undercarriage?

Top Bottom