Golden and area riding conditons for 2014-2015

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got back. Did a solo run to silent. 12-16". 25ppl out today. Could not see crap in the trees with the cloud cover. Alpinr was good. Backside had the least amount of tracks. Lots of snow left all over the place. Groom was leaving as I went in today.

Be sure to have a vhf radio, we missed each other calls and almost had a head on collision. Loggers are hauling doubles right now, so there trailers are longer than 50ft. Leaves no room for them to move. Especially after 35km mark.

image.jpg

image.jpg

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Had a good day at silent. Road icy from the 17 or so. Watch all the corners. Very slick

Cloudy up top can't see much. Played in the trees , got stuck etc.

Last edited:

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just over a foot. A lot of sled and board guys out. Huge crew of 20 I am guessing. A lot of slides have come down again since the last snow storm

gorman.... Getting rode out, we went into Quartz lake again and she was tracked pretty good. Mayby 10" of fresh.

silent... Heard it was rode out yesturday let alone today's group of people.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just over a foot. A lot of sled and board guys out. Huge crew of 20 I am guessing. A lot of slides have come down again since the last snow storm

gorman.... Getting rode out, we went into Quartz lake again and she was tracked pretty good. Mayby 10" of fresh.

silent... Heard it was rode out yesturday let alone today's group of people.

Silent was absolutely destroyed when we left there on Sat night, heard pretty much the same everywhere else as well. There was 23 trucks up there Friday and probably double that on Sat, must have been close to 100 sleds on Sat. Guys running 3-4 on the hill at a time, watched 4 guys from the same group all stuck on the same hill, right on the top of the convex, just gotta shake my head. Visibility sucked and snow is way down, probed 1.45 m at 7000 ft.

Snow pit results showed good cohesion in the lower layers to about 0.90 - 1.0 m, then there was a layer that would fail, very facetted, surface hoar from the cold snap I think. There is about 30 cms of new stuff on top that is not bonding on this layer. Saw slides on the north and west faces primarily. Sunday we had a decent day somewhere else and found a couple feet of fresh to play in a some areas, was socked in pretty good though, probed about 1.35 m up top and about 1.65 m a little lower in the trees. Would usually see 2.5+ m in these areas. They need lots of snow or what's there will melt off pretty quick in the spring. Still easy to tag things under the snow, you gotta be careful.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any new snow recently? Trying to figure out where to go this weekend.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any new snow recently? Trying to figure out where to go this weekend.

Well the snow report was 132 cms last weekend and they needed a ton more. The snow report now says 110 cm. People will tell you to look and u can find fresh stuff, maybe if you want to ride a small little area for a 1/2 hr....but its just honestly not that deep, and any fresh you find will likely have stuff hiding under it. The bigger areas are pounded down and going really remote isn't worth it. The forums are not that busy because the snow sucks right now. I can tell you from being there last week that I wouldn't be stopping until the sign said Revelstoke.

Last edited:

cowboytb

Reaction score
Weather report says snow this weekend has anybody been up at quarts creek or silent pass today? Is it worth driving out for a day of riding in that area thx

cowboytb

Reaction score
Weather report says snow this weekend? Has anyone been up to Quartz or silent today or has a pic ? Just wondering if it worth a day trip to drive up and ride thx if anyone has any info would be appreciated.

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
modman knows best ...

The bigger areas are pounded down and going really remote isn't worth it. The forums are not that busy because the snow sucks right now. I can tell you from being there last week that I wouldn't be stopping until the sign said Revelstoke.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Revelstoke is no good and gets way more traffic. Better off to stay in Golden.

cowboytb

Reaction score
I seen the picks and seen forecast I know revy is getting snow but to far just for a day trip and i have seen forecast and know that golden is close to getting snow and am just looking if someone could give a straight answer thx

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I seen the picks and seen forecast I know revy is getting snow but to far just for a day trip and i have seen forecast and know that golden is close to getting snow and am just looking if someone could give a straight answer thx

I live in Revy, but I have been riding in Golden since Nov the 12th this year. There is plenty of snow in Golden, you might not find 10 feet of fresh, but you won't find that any where in BC right now, its a low snow year. Revy got like 6 inches of new snow today. yeehaw...

Have fun on ur day trip in Golden:beer:

Top Bottom